Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Conveyancing

Options
  • 25-06-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey folks,

I heard recently about a website set-up with details on self-conveyancing of property (ie: cut out the estate agent fees).
    No matter how hard I try, i can't track this website down. Anyone else heard of this???

Let me know.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

For a start conveyancing has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with estate agents or auctioneers. Conveyancing is the term used to describe the legal work done by solicitors in the transfer of property. It is highly complicated and is best left to the professionals. Besides, if one is buying a property with the aid of a mortgage from a bank, the bank will insist that a solicitor investigates and certifies title, meaning that joe bloggs cannot do his own conveyancing.

As regards doing the work of the auctioneer, well that's a little more straightforward and will possibky save you a few bob. I am aware that there is a site that for a fee you can advertise your property on their site. However, I cannot remember the name of it, perhaps one of the other posters will be able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

putting fsbo (acronym: for sale by owner) into Google throws up a few sponsored links including www.privateseller.ie, www.fsbo.ie and www.sellityourself.ie.

No idea how effective/reputable/whatever any of these sites is, but they may include the one you were thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only solicitors can do conveyancing.

In the UK you can do it yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

In theory money can be saved by not employing an Estate Agent. It is impossible to know whether money has in fact been saved. Maybe a higher price would have been achieved by an Estate Agent, maybe a whole lot of hassle would have been avoided. Who will ever know.
    A good estate agent should do a number of things :
    Accurately value the property
    Devise an appropriate marketing strategy
    Screen prospective purchasers i.e identify messers/time wasters
    Negotiate a sale price
    Liaise with other professionals such as solicitors, surveyors, banks etc once an agreement is reached.
    The typical home owner will not have the skill or experience that a good agent has and may well make a slip up on one or more of the above.
    I have seen marketing material from some companies who charge the home owner a fee to provide him with an pack which will enable him to do the job himself. In my view it is bull****.
    I have known estate agents to pay someone else to sell their own houses. The basis for this is that it is difficult for an owner to take a detached view of the sale of his own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Victor wrote:
    I don't think this is 100% correct, in theory at least.

In theory, anyone can do conveyancing, if you have the necessary skills & knowledge. In practice, if you are borrowing money to buy the property, the lender will insist on having a solicitor to ensure 'good and marketable title' on the property. This is not unreasonable - if you were lending your money, you would want to ensure that the buyer is not paying for a worthless piece of paper.

Also, in practice, a solicitor on the other side of a transaction may have many reservations about dealing with a non-solicitor. At a minimum, this could result in increased legal fees on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Victor wrote: »

In the UK you can do it yourself.

Who is the cheapest in Ireland for conveyancing ? Are there any on-line solicitors companies who will do it simply and quickly ( for the seller of a very cheap property, on which there is no mortgage or complications )

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

Someone I know used this lad when I bought a house a few months ago.
    Was the cheapest they could find at the time.
    Had no issues, did a decent job as far as I know.
    At least the price is there on the website.
    I think search fees are extra.

http://www.robertsweeneylaw.ie/

Advertisement