Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steak bavette

• 25-06-2007 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

has anyone had this and if so how cooked in the center should it be as we had it in a pub and it was raw ,as in pure raw in the middle,waiter said it should be like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

medium rare i would say,but not raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I always thought bavette was a name for a cut of beef, not a way of cooking it.

Checking around, that seems to be what De Internet is saying too - its another name for minute steak.

Steak cooked "blue" should be effectively raw (warmed) in the centre, but I wouldn't think you'd do minute steak this way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

car39 wrote:
    has anyone had this and if so how cooked in the center should it be as we had it in a pub and it was raw ,as in pure raw in the middle,waiter said it should be like this

It should be cooked exactly the way you ask for it to be cooked!
    So what did you do, poke at it for ten minutes and pay up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

it said rare on the menu so yes poked sent it back and paid .well the hubby paid..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Minute steak is pretty thin.

I'm at a loss to figure out how you could cook the outside and still have the inside "pure raw" (as you describe it).

However, from my understanding of the terms, and experience of what other people say....when most people think "rare", they're actually thinking of closer to medium. Similarly, when they think "blue", they're thinking "rare".

Blue steak won't even be fully warmed in the centre.
    Rare steak will be fully warmed through, but still not transformed to the "pink" state, rather will still have plenty of "red" meat left.
    Only when you get to medium should there be no "red", with the center fully pink.

So if you ordered something rare and the inside looked uncooked, but was warmed through, then that was a rare steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

car39 wrote:
    it said rare on the menu so yes poked sent it back and paid .well the hubby paid..

Rare is not raw, blue is raw. Write to them and ask for your money back.

Advertisement