Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl objected to in Ballybofey?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 9:03pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Came across an article in last week's Letterkenny Post.
    Three objections have been logged against the planned development of a 1,400 discount store with 91 car parking spaces on the Donegal Road by Philip Browne. the Location of the store is close to where Tesco development in the Twin Towns was turned down by An Bord Pleanála.
    Lidl are believed to be the tenant for the store. Mr Browne has also applied for planning to build 118 residential units and a link road on the Donegal Road. The objections were lodged by Patrick and Audrey McMenamin, Ballybofey, Thomas Waters, Galway and James Fitzgerald, Killcock, Co Kildare.

So, it seems yet another big retailer not allowed to open in Twin Towns?

I'm not sure what connections the people in Galway and Kildare have with the Twin Towns.

Discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Is it possible that they own buildings/land near by the proposed development?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ah welcome to the club its been here in donegal town for years

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ah welcome to the club its been here in donegal town for years
    Oh I'm well familiar with the problems in Donegal, being from that area, and still working there.

Kelly's development got objected to too. Shame, as I'd like a cinema in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Is there anything the local residents can do to help Lidl, Aldi. or Tesco have a fair chance of ever opening in the Twin-Towns :mad: . I would also like a Cinema complex as well, who the hell is blocking everything that would be of enormous benefit to this beleagured community, or is it no longer a community ?.. I am personally so annoyed I could ' Self combust':eek: , and Spain is looking more attractive by the day for people in my age group 'The over 60's' God help us ?..I had to go to England at the age of 15 to earn a living, and now I may be forced to live abroad in my old age.Is this what my forbears fought for ?..

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Donegal town all over again. It seems that people with "interests" don't want anybody else coming in.
    The objections were lodged by Patrick and Audrey McMenamin, Ballybofey, Thomas Waters, Galway and James Fitzgerald, Killcock, Co Kildare.

I'm sure some of the councillors will not be impressed by objections from so far away. In my opinion, objectors should be from the locality or at least own the land, and in this instance, that isn't the case. Does anybody remember the lady from Kerry who objected to one of the developments in Donegal town?

If you want to see how development should be carried out, just take a look at Strabane. The local council actively encouraged the new retail park.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    Donegal town all over again. It seems that people with "interests" don't want anybody else comi

If you want to see how development should be carried out, just take a look at Strabane. The local council actively encouraged the new retail park.

Is it any wonder I always loved Strabane, however I hope we do not have to go through the same to achieve justice :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd trust that these objections will be seen for waht they are. In fairness to An BP, they really only hold up those that counteract normal planning policy and not those that are simply vested interests.

I'd trust that these objections will be seen for waht they are. In fairness to An BP, they really only hold up those that counteract normal planning policy and not those that are simply vested interests.

Hey, you are surely NOT defending An Bord Pleanala, who IMHO are a joke, and an expensive waste of honest taxpayer's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    Is there anything the local residents can do to help Lidl, Aldi. or Tesco have a fair chance of ever opening in the Twin-Towns............................................Is this what my forbears fought for ?..[/B]
    First point Paddy. Why dont you organise a rally and petition the same as they did in Donegal Town recently to show the support from the locals.

Second point. I dont think our ancestors ever fought to allow foreign super stores invade our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

Maybe the planners have a greater foresight.

In Britain where large supermarkets are the norm, I have noticed a growing resentment to these larger supermarkets. Far from contributing to the local community they are taking the life out of town centres, forcing people to travel long lengths to get their groceries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

In the case of Lidl and Aldi the majority of ppl welcome them as they allow ppl a choice of product at an amazing price in most cases.
    It forced Dunnes and Tesco to lower their prices a lot as well. Has to be a good thing.

Don't think we ever had it this good when it comes to Grocery shopping - those of us with a choice anyway!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, in Letterkenny, there's nearly too much choice when it comes to grocery supermarkets!

I think McGroarty's Costcutter is closed now? At least, I read something along those lines in LKY Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

An BP are one of the few safeguards we have against corrupt town planning - the seem to me like a necessary evil...

muffler wrote:
    First point Paddy. Why dont you organise a rally and petition the same as they did in Donegal Town recently to show the support from the locals.

Second point. I dont think our ancestors ever fought to allow foreign super stores invade our country.

!: Why me to organise a rally, I am now too old and retired.

2: I thought these business organisation's were simply competing within the E.U. as they are entitled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    !: Why me to organise a rally, I am now too old and retired.

2: I thought these business organisation's were simply competing within the E.U. as they are entitled too.

1. Thats the attitude that everyone else in the Twin towns has apparently and now that includes yourself.

2. Quite right Paddy but thats not what you said in your earlier reference to this point

muffler wrote:
    1. Thats the attitude that everyone else in the Twin towns has apparently and now that includes yourself.

2. Quite right Paddy but thats not what you said in your earlier reference to this point

I am simply trying to strike a balance, between the prople's best interest's and the need for business competition while still retaining a sense of real old fashioned community spirit.

I care about my neighbour's welfare, are they not compatible ?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

byte wrote:
    I think McGroarty's Costcutter is closed now? At least, I read something along those lines in LKY Post.
    Open again under new managment AFAIK.

Advertisement