Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught in the act

Options
  • 25-06-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

A nextdoor romanain neighbour was stopped on sunday near glasnevin by an unmarked car there were tow garda in uniform in car he had been speeding with another car afriend of his and was in the bus lane trying to overtake, it turns out that my neighbour son was told that he was driving dangerously he was sppeding and in bus lane the garda told him he was getting 4 points and a €200 euro fine, would this be the correct punishment ? he was under the impression that if he didnt get a ticket of the garda he was ok ???? i think he is nuts but i wasnt sure if the points and the fine added up

also the other car had no insurance and the car was impunded and taking away the garda told him that when he gets the relevant insurance he will get his car back i cant believe this i was sure that was a jail offence or at least arrested

does anyone know if this is teh correct procedure and punishment ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Sounds like he's getting away lightly so far but maybe the points and fine are just for the "on the spot offences". I have a feeling he'll be up in court over the lack of insurance and maybe justice will be done there, €1000+ fine and a few more points.

I can't help but think, though, that if he had such scant regard for other road users to be driving like that, with no insurance, he's even less likely to get insurance in the future with those points boosting his costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The cops should tow the uninsured car round to that blokes house and set fire to it.

Then charge him for the tow.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

but i really dont know how they didnt arrest him

there were two cars involved one got 4 points and a 200 euro fine

the other gets nothing and he h as no insurance ?????:mad:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The other guy would be getting 5 points iirc for driving with no insurance as a minimum. Guards quite often won't point out how many points people will be getting to avoid aggro. Assuming that the person had his ID with him he'll get his own points I would hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe I'm being a tad presumptuous, but if these lads were driving on
    Romanian licenses the threat of points will surely make shag all difference.
    Some deterrent for keeping uninsured and reckless drivers off the road and
    us motorists safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

the one that got 4 points €200 euro had just got there romanian licence changed to a irish one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

faolteam wrote:
    the one that got 4 points €200 euro had just got there romanian licence changed to a irish one :confused:
    hahaha

I seen in the paper a few weeks ago that (i am aproximating the numbers) of the 5280ish people stopped for no insurance last year only someting like less that 50 actually got points on their liscences, the rest couldn't as they where no-nationals on non-Irish liscences. Thats over 99%!!!!:eek:

Advertisement