Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posters who think they're customers

Options
  • 25-06-2007 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

I have read this type of approach many times in the past and feel the urge to comment.

A customer pays for a good or service and then can complain when the good or service does not live up to expectations or for the value in money paid out.

So a few things to remember:

1 - On boards.ie you pay nothing
    2 - you are not a customer
    3 - Mods don't get paid

4 - we mods do this out of the goodness of our hearts
    5 - whining and complaining rarely gets you anywhere.

These are the independant thoughts of one mod who has been around for about a year and a half and don't necessarily represent the view of boards.ie or any other mods.:)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wrong. I'm a subscriber.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I agree with everything you say Brian, but I still think Mods should follow a standard banning procedure, except in the case of trolls/shills/repeat offenders, ie : warning/pm, then a ban which includes a pm to save the "Am I banned?" threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I agree with you mostly Brian but there are a few mods who enjoy the odd sneaky powertrip too methinks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We did a comprehensive survey of our customers not too long ago. We got a very large sample set (3,500) and scored very highly in the customer satisfaction dept.

MikeS, if you are unhappy about the service you have gotten, I'll offer you and anyone else who is, a full refund of your subscription with our best regards.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

What, we dont get paid.

News to me!

dmemxjwyoiu3o1mtynm2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

People on both sides are taking the Internets way too seriously.
    I see Boards.ie as a private playground with open gates. Join in. Don't be a dick. Share your sweeties with those that have shared theirs. HAVE FUN.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mike65 wrote:
    Wrong. I'm a subscriber.

Mike.
    Why does that make him wrong?

Subscribers make a voluntary contribution ... they do not have to, no-one hounds them for it, they are perfectly free to use the site free of charge for as long as they like, as far as I can figure out. As such, they do not "pay" for the service.

Pay: "to settle (a debt, obligation, etc.), as by transferring money or goods, or by doing something."

More generally, I think the whole world is gone "customer" mad, tbh. There are times when it's a very appropriate outlook, there are times when it's not.

Commodification seems to be the newest "grand narrative", though I suppose one could argue that it is the bastard offspring of capitalism.

I await the day when a shop assistant smiles at me, then rings the extra charge for doing so up on my bill. Certainly, they don't do it much for free any more.
    Karoma wrote:
    People on both sides are taking the Internets way too seriously. I see Boards.ie as a private playground with open gates.
    ... with a few basic rules to stop people being bullied or beaten up, and the whole thing turning into Lord of the Flies ...
    Karoma wrote:
    Join in. Don't be a dick. Share your sweeties with those that have shared theirs. HAVE FUN.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I on the other hand feel I have a foot in both camps. I definitely feel that the users (read:customers) have the right to a common set of rules and regulations across the site.
    I also feel that many bans or warnings are handed out that are not correct. and conversly, there are many bans that are not handed out, that should be.
    i think its annoying as a customer (read:user) when you see inconsistancies across so many forums, and even through individual mods.

on the other hand, i do feel that mods do get beaten up over the smallest of things, and yes, we do do this out of the goodness of our own hearts, and we arent paid for it etc etc etc etc etc.

and you know what, we have bad days. we ban people for something one day that we wouldnt on another day.

now, i have a few ideas of my own, but i dont want to put them up here yet.

what i will say is that I think this site has become too big for an ideal or ethos to govern the thinking here, and i think it needs to be looked at if the site is to grow. there does need to be something put in place to allow managable and staged growth. otherwise, the more people here, the more bogged down things will get. im not saying the site will close down, far from it, but if this site wants to expand and beecome something other thatn it is current incarnation, then it has to look at itself, becuase the current set up wont work with more people in it. there are too many inconsistancies.

perhaps those in power ought to put together their own business plan (hint hint) about what they really want? PM me if you want some help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Spankeh wrote:
    What, we dont get paid.

News to me!

dmemxjwyoiu3o1mtynm2.jpg
    I wasn't told!!!!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My account is due to mature by now. :)

I just do my best to keep the place ticking over like most of us do. We are only humans and make mistakes like everyone else. There has to be a balance though and I reckon we are not too far away from having it the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lol... I wish we had the sort of money to pay that wage a month!

We try our best to run as good a ship as we can here. No one is perfect and its an imperfect world... again I point to the survey of satisfaction. I think we strike a good balance here.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Yeah, it's a rockin' wee place. And so HUUUUUUUUGE!! I'd say I've only visited about 10% of the forums on here. Pretty funky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I have no complaints, If I lost it I would have to get a life, I'll keep this one thanks:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote:
    Lol... I wish we had the sort of money to pay that wage a month.

Some boss you'd make.
    €14 an hour is slave labour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You could live quite comfortably off your Site Ban Bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hagar wrote:
    You could live quite comfortably off your Site Ban Bonus.
    So you mean if I set up a whole load of fake accounts and B banned them, we could share out the site-ban bonus between us?

Meanwhile, back on-topic...
    Ned and WWM make the point of a proper banning procedure, warning, ban, PM to banned user etc. A great idea that has been discussed on the Mod forum but there are certain mods who have said quite openly that they refuse to send PMs to banned users as it would be too much work.

My thought would be that if this is too much work then ask for another mod for your forum to help with all this extra work.

As a subscriber to boards I view myself as a (contented) customer, just because I make a voluntary subscription does not mean I'm not a customer...I voluntarily pay for products I buy from shops, that makes me a customer rather than a shoplifter.

There is no difference. With a boards subscription you get extra services including access to the S&S forum and a custom avatar, not much but it's something. If I want to I can sample as much after-shave as I want in Boots for free using the tester bottles (sample boards for free) but I can't get access to the full bottle (avatar and S&S forum on boards) without paying (subscribing) :)

Don't forget that boards.ie and the boardsgroup are for-profit companies, neither is a registered charity or non-profit organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

r3nu4l wrote:
    there are certain mods who have said quite openly that they refuse to send PMs to banned users as it would be too much work.
    Got a link? The mods that I know that do that (myself included sometimes) do it for the reason that if someone is being an absolute muppet then they don't deserve the time it takes to get a nice response saying that they are banned. If someone is being an arse then they should do the legwork to get back in to the forum that they are privileged to post on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are cases of lazy mods, just as there are lazy users; but the reasons that I have seen for not contacting the posters are/come from what I said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

imo - make this a Sticky and have all relevant details in it - and then HOPE people read the damn stickies...

agree fully with first post.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As far as I am concerned, If I ban a user that actually uses the forum then I'll send a PM. If it is a random muppet that comes in just to cause trouble then I'm not wasting my time doing it.

Gordon wrote:
    Got a link?

I was going to provide several examples from a thread I had originated when I was banned from Paranormal. The thread was about 12 pages long, with many many Mods standing on soapboxes saying they'll do whatever they want when they want, it's not a job, etc, but now the thread is 2 pages long. Go fig.

There is a need for a correct banning procedure (With the exception of deliberate trouble makes/shills/trolls) to be put in place, along with an eMail of guidelines that is sent to a new user upon registration of their account. We all assume that people know to read the Charter when posting in a Forum, but for many, bans occur early in their post count because they don't know what a Charter is, or if they should read it in the first place, most people just reply to threads on the main page for the first few weeks, so they'll never actually come across each Charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If people don't read the charters what makes you think they'll bother to read the guidelines. Anyway with the variations between forum moderation styles it would be pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I like the muppet=ban approach.

If people don't read the charters what makes you think they'll bother to read the guidelines.

As I've already said, new users don't know about the existence of the Charters. They register, and then they see threads on the main page, and directly reply to them, not knowing what they should or shouldn't be behaving like, or saying. New users should receive an eMail telling them to read the Charters, or it should pop up when they're going through the stage of creating an account.

krazy_8s wrote:
    I like the muppet=ban approach.

No one is disagreeing with that, if someone is a genuine trouble maker, then yes, ban. But if it's someone is a new user to boards, and is still finding their feet, then they'd feel a whole lot more welcome by having the usage policy explained to them, instead of what's currently happening, where someone is banned, not PM'd, and can't figure out what happened. That's not a constructive situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

ned78 wrote:
    As I've already said, new users don't know about the existence of the Charters. They register, and then they see threads on the main page, and directly reply to them, not knowing what they should or shouldn't be behaving like, or saying. New users should receive an eMail telling them to read the Charters, or it should pop up when they're going through the stage of creating an account.
    All nice in theory, but in the end of the day I doubt for a minute that anyone would bother to read the mail. If someone fires in blindly then deserve all they get in my book. I do think though that some mod's are to a bit to free with ban stick, but different horses for different courses I suppose.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Going back to the OP's point, I'm a subscriber and I'm quite happy to get (relatively) nothing for it, as there's not an awful lot more that the admins could offer anyway. The way I see it, the upgrades regi made last week wouldn't have been possible unless at least some people subscribe, and by doing so we help keep the site running relatively smoothly for all. I'm not looking for thanks or anything, I'm sure I'm not the only subscriber who thinks like this, and I'd hate to see the site grind to a halt just because there was a few quid needed. Think of it as a little 21st century altruism ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agree with everything Zaph has said there.

I'm not a customer of Boards, I've never seen it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

A customer pays for a good or service and then can complain when the good or service does not live up to expectations or for the value in money paid out.

So a few things to remember:

1 - On boards.ie you pay nothing
    2 - you are not a customer
    3 - Mods don't get paid

4 - we mods do this out of the goodness of our hearts
    5 - whining and complaining rarely gets you anywhere.

These are the independant thoughts of one mod who has been around for about a year and a half and don't necessarily represent the view of boards.ie or any other mods.

What Would Jesus Do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seansouth wrote:
    Agree with everything Zaph has said there.

I'm not a customer of Boards, I've never seen it like that.

I have to agree as well. Boards is a service that I am lucky to recieve. I feel that I owe boards more than it owes me.

This site is put together by the money of the admins and the subscribers and the time of the admins and the mods. If the site goes down or a mod makes a decision against me that I don't agree with (hasn't happened yet) I will be pissed off but I understand that sh!t happens and get over it. At the end of the day for every ban that isn't deserved there is a thousand that are. The mods make this a better place free of idiots and spam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

ahh fresh meat.....

Advertisement