Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Spec - Any forseen problems?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Having gained motivation from reading most of the posts in this section, I have just ordered the following kit from a combination of Dabs, Komplett and hardwareversand.de

As this is my first (and last) attempt at a build, and in anticipation of my items arriving, can anyone forsee any problems in the following set up:

Chassix - Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
    PSU - OCZ 850W Active PFC GameXtreme SLI Ready
    Motherboard - ASUS Striker Exteme
    Chipset - Intel Core Extreme QX6800 2.93 GHZ 8MB
    Cooler/ Fan - Thermaltake Blue Orb II
    RAM - 2046 MB DDR2 Corsair TwinX Pro CL5 PC6400/800
    Graphics - XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra 650, 758MB DDR3 XT
    System Drive - WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 rpm 16mb SATAII
    Storage Drive - Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATAII
    OPtical Drives - 2 x Samsung DVD+/_ RW SH-S183A
    Card Reader - Dabs Internal 53 in 1 USB2.0
    Monitor - LG L226WA-SN - flat panel display - TFT - 22" Widescreen 2ms
    OS - Windows XP Pro SP2B OEM

All items should be here in a week will take some pics and keep you all posted on my progress or lack of it.

All feedback welcome!

Thanks
    RD:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Hey, welcome to boards :)

1st off I dont think that cooler is going to be great compared to what you could have got.. That quad core is going to get hot!

Also the ultra was a waste of money as a GTX will do basically the same thing but theres no harm done if it didnt break the bank!

Could have saved some money and got a better cooler!?

Other than that it looks pretty sweet :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RozDev

Thanks man:)

What fan cooler would you recommend?

I eventually hope to upgrade to liquid cooled something like the thermatake big 745 h20

Had a look at so many fans i just got fed up and picked one in the end, one of my main criterias was noise emission, and this one seemd to perform quite well. (Guess i should have concentrated on cooling efficiency rather than noise emmissions!:( )

I went for the ultra because i do a lot of 3d rendering (amongst the gaming!) and nothin wastes time like waiting for a graphic to render! I was looking at the overclocked 8800GTX with the inbuilt water cooling (cant remember what it's called) but there was no room for doubling up through SLI, which, when my wallet recovers from this mini holocaust, I was hoping to persue.

Nothings too late to change on the fan side it's only €30 recomendations??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭cianc1

Thermalright ultra 120 extreme, the best cooler

Just read a review on that it looks impressive enough doesn't it?
    It certainly kicks ass compare to the other tower coolers

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2981

cianc1 wrote:
    Thermalright ultra 120 extreme, the best cooler

Yea thats what im getting lol

• Advertisement

This may sound like a right noobie question, but where does the fan go?

Do you just mount it another periperal fan inside the case to increase airflow?

I think the gigabyte 570 has three 120mm fans already would i need another one?

Yea it should have sort of clip or holes so you can screw the fan in to it..

3 should be grand though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It comes with 2 metal clips, basically just twisted wires. They seem a bit flimsy but when you put a fan in they become quite tense and the fan is held in place pretty snugly. Make sure you buy a scythe sflex with open mounts. A closed mount fan will need a hacksaw taken to it.

And also make sure the TRUE is the cooler you want/need, it gets pretty pricey when you add in the fan and my results have been disappointing so far.

Advertisement