Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Kitchens Tallaght

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

My mother has ordered a kitchen from these guys, and I have to say I am suspicious. The total price of the kitchen is nearly 3000 euro, yet they have charged her TWO THOUSAND as a deposit, with 900 balance to pay on delivery.

The receipt they have given her has their letterhead torn off, so basically it is worthless as it doesn't state WHO the money was paid to, and it hasn't been signed by anyone. They haven't told her that they are not responsible for fitting the kitchen or disposing of the old kitchen.

My mother is a pensioner and i'm very concerned at how this company has behaved thus far.

Anyone here had any dealings with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I think it they are there, I may know who is behind this company. Check back here in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yes that's right, they're also in Finglas.
    Info would be appreciated. He has provided a new receipt with business name and address on, but no VAT number or company registration number on it? I have never received a receipt without this information on it before...

He also was insistant that 70-80% deposit is "the norm" when it comes to buying a kitchen.

Now, i've never bought a kitchen, but this sounds like cr*p to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eth0_ wrote:
    Yes that's right, they're also in Finglas.
    Info would be appreciated. He has provided a new receipt with business name and address on, but no VAT number or company registration number on it? I have never received a receipt without this information on it before...

He also was insistant that 70-80% deposit is "the norm" when it comes to buying a kitchen.

Now, i've never bought a kitchen, but this sounds like cr*p to me.

The likes of kitchens, built in waredrobes etc can be very specific to the house they are going in to (sizes, colour,materials etc) so taking a large deposit would lessen the chance of the customer deciding they dont want it and cancelling after its startign to be made (some people wouldnt think much of writing off a hundred or two if they change their mind , whereas veru few will be willign to write off €2k. Afterall, if your mother decided to cancel they most likely wouldnt be able to shift the kitchen unless someone else comes in to buy the same one in the same size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

For what its worth, I purchased a kitchen about 12 months ago from a company in my area, but who didnt know me at all. The total cost was about €3900. They asked for a deposit, so I asked how much they needed and they basically said, ah anything around €300 will be fine. I gave them €900 then and paid the €3000 after the kitchen was fitted.

€2000 deposit on a €2900 kitchen seems way over the top to me, but maybe others have different opinions

Incidentally, I even had this discussion with the kitchen guy at the time, and as he said to me, "Ah, a kitchen unit is a kitchen unit. 90% of your kitchen will be regular units and its only the end bits or filler bits that might be off standard sizes, so we just cover ourselves in the event that if it WAS cancelled, we have those bits paid for"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That Deposit is Way too much.
    I know a guy who worked for them and has left
    PM Me some details and i'll see what I can do

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My mother recently bought a kitchen of their Finglas branch. It cost her €3050, and they charged her a further €500 euro to fit to. They didn't take away the old kitchen. They fitted it today and I have to say it looks very well. She paid nearly €2000 as a deposit. So I think it's normal.

I wasn't here when they were fitting it, but they accomodated everything in the kitchen, like the pipe for the understairs washroom and stuff like that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

To me any company with 2 or more of the following words in its title should be avoided : Bargain Kitchen Tiles Bathrooms !

Unfortunately it's quite a bit harder for the older folk to be up to the shenanigans of these crowds by still a good rule of thumb is that you should owe them more when the work is done than they owe you in the form of a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shark1k

i recently went looking for a quote from a few kitchen companys in dublin and i found they where all more or less the same as in giving deposits etc. apart fom the 1st place i went to which was cash & carry kitchens, to my surprise ive just found out i was wise not to choose them on the purchase of my kitchen as ive just heard that they are about to fold. the company has just been sold which means major changes in the structure of the company and possibly alot of people wont even see the kitchen they have paid for.

anyway in regards to finding the most efficient service and value for my dollors i happened to find my way to the company in question above.. bargain kitchens. maybe i got them on a good day as i found them to have the same material in their units and so on as most of the places that where quoting me crazy prices! i didnt go near the likes of b&q or in-house as i dont do flat pack dirt. but i saved the guts of 800 euro with this crowd... my kitchen came to 4650 i gave them 3750 up front and the balance when my kitchen came which was fine by me it came on time and the fitter arrived the nxt day and fit my kitchen. the fitter was a nice gentleman who put the head down and did wat he was supposed to do.and did a grand job.

its like all things in this country it pays to shop around and im glad i did.make a long story short i found bargain to be very professional in the service ive recieved. but be very carefull i found a few cowboys out there on my travels... 1 worked hard for my €4650 and in this case it was money well spent. well done bargain kitchens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 funnylily

I bought a kitchen from B&Q Liffey Valley and had to pay 100% up front!!!

They are appalling.

I requested delivery w/c 25th June when I was arranging for my old kitchen to be removed. I called on Wed 27th June to be told there was no order scheduled...it eventually arrived on 26th July - a full month later, after a month with no kitchen - with the pull out table missing. Another month later in August I called your central depot again as I had heard nothing on the pull out table to be told it had been sent but no-one from Liffey Valley called to let me know. It was re-ordered and only yesterday (6th September) I received a call to say it was there. The disorganisation at the store is another story. The pull out table is the wrong size and has to go back...

2. My installer is on-site today and we are unable to ascertain what/where a couple of drawers are and about exchanging the aforementioned pull out table from a 600mm to a 500mm - no-one in the store could tell me if a 500mm pull-out table exists. I called the store to be told the designer is off site. So I asked if another designer in that store or another of your stores would be able to help - I was told that my design is only on her computer!! This is outrageous !!!

Has anyone else come across this?

I can't blame the staff in store who have struggled to provide some sort of care with the (lack of) logistics and systems they have been given to work with. Shame on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

shark1k wrote:
    ii went to which was cash & carry kitchens, to my surprise ive just found out i was wise not to choose them on the purchase of my kitchen as ive just heard that they are about to fold. the company has just been sold which means major changes in the structure of the company and possibly alot of people wont even see the kitchen they have paid for.

hmmm - forst post dissing the competition and raving about a small operator who others have had problems with!!!????

Just because a company is sold, doesn't mean i is folding. In fact if a company is sold it usually means improvemnets. I have found nothing anywhere that suggests C&C kitchens are changing in anyway or that they are operating in any way other than a normal trading way.

Maybe change the post unless you have proof of their demise as you may leave yourself / boards open to legal challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

correct me if im wrong but wasnt it the owner of cash and carry kitchens that just bought one of those cars the most expensive in the world only one in ireland for close to two million ,cant think of the name of the car but was in all the papers recently ,he must be doing something right (or wrong lol) wonder will he be like the farmer in the lotto ad ,towbar on the back of the ferari.........heres your kitchen missus .........lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can anyone help

they have taken my deposit and closed their showrooms. Cannot get my kitchen.
    Any info on these would be great

desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If a company goes out of business, you might well lose the money that you have paid them.

See here on the National Consumer Agency website for more information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Inquitus wrote: »
    they have taken my deposit and closed their showrooms. Cannot get my kitchen.
    Any info on these would be great

desperate

you wil basically go on the list of creditors for the liquidators. however, you will be very , very low down on the list of people to be paid (providing there are even funds to do so)

did you pay much of a deposit? if its not a large deposit. it might be better to save yourself the headache and just write it off

Advertisement