Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Give Me A Reason Not To Buy This Car

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Keep seeing this car on carzone, my almera is now sold and am looking to buy a reliable motor bit of poke, and wont loose money been looking at a avensis, 626, E200 Frog eye and boxy model, primera all these cars haver either been taxi'd or overpriced and or knackerd

But this (suprise suprise) carina keeps on ticking all my boxes but being a rare model would it be a pain to keep and maintain?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=697482

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, if you do want a reason, I always thought it was a farmer's car. The words "Lean burn" on the back used to make me shudder, what type of person would describe a petrol engine like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A Carina???????????? Aim a bit higher! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Look at the badges at the back count the exhausts

-VB-

Sorry I can't see anything due to that horrid Carina badge! :p

Mike.

*sigh*

Its funny five minuites.:rolleyes:

-VB-

• Advertisement

Meh i dunno, cant find a good merc all either overpriced or taxi'd this one is a bit old but.

-VB-

Sorry, if you are that taken with it then buy it and damn the begrudgers.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Sure why not at least go and have a look at it and drive it to see what you think. Probably has the same engine as the 2.0 nasp Celica and the same body as a regular Carina so there's probably not going to be much hassle getting most parts for it.
    These old Carinas used to be ubiquitous, but now in an ironic way it's something different to drive on the roads. One big plus point I can think of is the stealth factor here. Probably has a nice bit of power but some subtlety to go with it.

Lean Burn seems to be a technology that might have become very big had it not been for the introduction of catalytic converters to reduce emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

€3000 is too much for any 1992 Carina E!

IrishRover wrote:
    Sure why not at least go and have a look at it and drive it to see what you think. Probably has the same engine as the 2.0 nasp Celica and the same body as a regular Carina so there's probably not going to be much hassle getting most parts for it.
    These old Carinas used to be ubiquitous, but now in an ironic way it's something different to drive on the roads. One big plus point I can think of is the stealth factor here. Probably has a nice bit of power but some subtlety to go with it.

Lean Burn seems to be a technology that might have become very big had it not been for the introduction of catalytic converters to reduce emissions.

On the ball, it has the exact same engine out of the celica.

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Certainly a rare Carina and I can see some appeal in it but 3k seems well overpriced for any Carina E.

In 1993-1995 The Carina E GTI was the basis for Toyota's entry in the British Touring Car Championship even if the race cars bore very little resemblence to the road cars there was some connection there. I remember Top Gear did a time trial at Silverstone for touring car drivers in the roadgoing version of their race cars. Will Hoy (RIP) drove the Carina E GTI. That's the first thing I think of when I see that car

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Carina or no Carina ...the insurance will probably skin you alive as soon as the hear "Gee Tee Aye" :D

peasant wrote:
    Carina or no Carina ...the insurance will probably skin you alive as soon as the hear "Gee Tee Aye" :D

But 2.0 GTi will sound like on the phone
    2.0 GLi:D :D:D

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

pricey for a 92

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd say offer um €1900 and if they take it be happy and if not just walk.

Basically go for it, though a 626 of that vintage is a nicer car to look at and probably a better drive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Christ man what age are you, 90? Buy a fun car for once! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you manage to get insured on it at any price let me know who with, cheers :D

Go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

It's uglier than Carol on Big Brother

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Changing nick is normally frowned upon, but maybe you should call yourself Carinaboy from now on, Volvoboy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Whats with the colour? Looks like the most insipid motor going.

Theres so much other better stuff out there, thats younger, with lower mileage, better looking, in better colours.

Heres 2 I quickly saw:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=723096

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=706000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

buy that car.. will be worth money in years to comes.. ive personally never heard of a gti.. always tawt in was a gli.. have a carina II myself.. one of the nicest car ive ever drove:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

dillaneS wrote:
    buy that car.. will be worth money in years to comes.. ive personally never heard of a gti.. always tawt in was a gli.. have a carina II myself.. nicest car ive ever drove:)

No offence, but if a Carina E is the nicest car you ever drove you need to test drive a few motors and educate yourself!! For starters the bloody things are like a boat in corners - crap handling even by the stanards of the time. The interior is a step backwards from even the older ('late 80's) Carinas which had a bit of plushness about them...

The post asked 'reasons not to but this car?' At the right price it might make sense but anyone who pays anywhere close to 3 grand for that yoke needs a visit from the men in white coats...

How about:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=717834

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=712903

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=722610

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I wouldn't be a fan of the Carina really, nothing about the car other than the track record of reliability really stands out for me. I know you are a fan of them but why not try something else?
    As for those coming up with alternative suggestions slating the Carina for being dull & overpriced... I clicked with trepidation expecting to see a 2 seater or at least sporty alternative, but what do we get a Mondeo/Galant/Toledo!!
    As far as I can make out VB is in his early twenties (am I right), now is the time to get something a bit more exciting than a family saloon (unless of course you have a family & I take it all back:D ) . Have a look out for something other than an old rep mobile, something a bit quirky, what about an old SAAB 900 Turbo like this one:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=721915
    Autotrader UK

or you could always investigate a headache....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One reason not to buy that car is the price. It is simply overpriced, I would not pay more than €1500 for a 15 year old Carina GTi or GLi. Also enquire about insurance as my guess is that most insurance companies will not even have a Carina GTi listed but as soon as you mention GTi alarm bells will ring. If you are really set on a Carina GTi then go over to the UK and seek one out as they were more popular there and are dirt cheap at this stage. But beware that most will be decomposing at this stage from the salt on the roads.

Alternatives:-
    Honda Accord coupe:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=716883

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Here is another option, although the dealer could have given it a good wash & wax:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=701373

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

3000 is nonsense for a 92 no matter how clean it is. get the same car in buy and sell for around 800. go for an avensis, you'll get a nice 98 for about 2500-3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

More importantly can you give a good reason to buy it ?

if your looking for cheap trills wouldn't Peugeot 106/205/305 Gti or Clio 16v be a way more fun tool, and leave this for dead.

I could see no reason to buy this new for €3000 (and obviously no one else could thats why theres none around), never mind 15 yrs later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good reason not to buy it? - Ah yes. It's utter rubbish :D

p.s. Even Minicab drivers won't drive thoise these days. They have their standards, albeit low ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

A firend of mine has a red 1.4L 1994 Nissan Sunny saloon, a few years back a lot of migrant workers used to drive this model sunny. We used to take the mick out of him about it back then. He is STILL driving it and the migrant workers have moved on to better things :D
    He won't give up on it even though it was hit by an Avis van (driven by an Avis employee) & repaired, badly. The radio doesn't work when it's raining or too cold, the fuel guage is tempermental, the electric fan is worryingly loud (think he got it from a scrap Primera) & it has 4 shades of red paintwork. The driver's seatback is broken, for the 2nd time. The heater only works on two speeds, really fast or full stop! You can even start it with a teaspoon!
    He can afford to buy a car no probs, not sure what the issue is, even his girlfriend is embarrassed to be seen in it.
    Everybody has their own taste but some take it a little far.
    VB let us know if you decide to buy.

Oh & Bazz, I recommended a Saab above too, they are a bit different :)

Advertisement