Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Give Me A Reason Not To Buy This Car

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I sold my brother's old 1992 1.6 GLI on yesterday for €175. Makes that one look over priced. The fact that it's a 2.0 litre should lessen the appeal for most people, and you maybe should use that as a very strong case for (pile) driving the price down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

IF Saab THEN 9000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Whats with the colour? Looks like the most insipid motor going.

Theres so much other better stuff out there, thats younger, with lower mileage, better looking, in better colours.

Heres 2 I quickly saw:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=723096

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=706000
    I think you and a lot of other people on this thread don't understand what this car is. The Mondeos you've listed are just normal repmobiles with normal repmobile engines. The Carina is an MR2/Celica engine in the shell of a repmobile.

It will have something in the region of 160 to 170 horsepower, and most likely better brakes and suspension than a normal Carina. It's not just the same as any other 2 litre Carina except with a GTi badge instead of a GLi badge.

Here's a vid of one racing with an Evo II, although it seems like it has been tuned, it's something to aim for and gives you an idea of how this is really a wolf in sheep's clothing.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUMcN7k5hP4

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who now appreciate the old Toyotas from the 80's, even the mundane models, so maybe it's just a case of another few years needing to go by before these early 90's Toyotas become more cherished.

It's a hard car to value because it's rare. Currently there are no Carina Gtis in ebay.co.uk or autotrader.co.uk and I can't see how there'd be many for sale in Ireland. Obviously Volvo(Carina)boy should negotiate for the best price and check with his insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

thanks for the reply lads, my mind is all over the camp with decisions of cars :confused: thanks for the suggestions. have some thinking to do, in no immediate hurry to buy another car, but when the right one comes along, as for the carina nice car but just isnt quite worth 3k

-VB-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,540 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote:
    But 2.0 GTi will sound like on the phone
    2.0 GLi:D :D:D

I missed that last night. Whatever you buy, do not misinform your insurance company. You don't want to know what the consequences can be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

p.s. Even Minicab drivers won't drive thoise these days. They have their standards, albeit low ones.
    Guess you haven't been in Limerick recently - there's still a good few Carina E taxis around - hell there's even a '90 Carina II diesel still doing the rounds... somehow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,369 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pburns wrote:
    No offence, but if a Carina E is the nicest car you ever drove you need to test drive a few motors and educate yourself!! For starters the bloody things are like a boat in corners - crap handling even by the stanards of the time. The interior is a step backwards from even the older ('late 80's) Carinas which had a bit of plushness about them...
    Pay attention next time. The poster you are slagging said he is driving a Carina II - i.e. the late 80s one (88-92). Also, you probably missed the fact that the car in question is not your average Carina E.

@VB: GTi will not sound like GLi when they play the tape back! Don't do it. Also, I'm a bit puzzled - it's a trade sale, but the ad says (paraphrase) 'never gave me a bit of trouble'?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Guess you haven't been in Limerick recently - there's still a good few Carina E taxis around - hell there's even a '90 Carina II diesel still doing the rounds... somehow...

I live in Limerick, and was referring to mini cabs (hackneys) and specifically not Taxis ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

pburns wrote:
    No offence, but if a Carina E is the nicest car you ever drove you need to test drive a few motors and educate yourself!!

firstly mate.. i said that the carina 2.. not the carina E is ONE of the nicest cars ive ever driven.. not the nicest car ive ever driven!!!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I live in Limerick, and was referring to mini cabs (hackneys) and specifically not Taxis ;)

You should take a trip up to Davis Street so. There's a few working out of the rank up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Volvoboy wrote:
    But this (suprise suprise) carina keeps on ticking all my boxes but being a rare model would it be a pain to keep and maintain?
    -VB-

Wouldn't have thought it would be an issue to keep the Carina. Had a '95 celica I imported a few years back and the carina parts were a straight swop when needed. Lots of celicas on the road here now so parts should be widely available. Sold my celica a couple of years back for not much more than carina is asking now so it seems overpriced. An extra 500 yoyos could get you this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=728296

Bit of shopping around could find you a deal on a celica, tax the same as the carina, insurance should be similar?... but of course it might not be what your after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

TJJP wrote:
    Wouldn't have thought it would be an issue to keep the Carina. Had a '95 celica I imported a few years back and the carina parts were a straight swop when needed. Lots of celicas on the road here now so parts should be widely available. Sold my celica a couple of years back for not much more than carina is asking now so it seems overpriced. An extra 500 yoyos could get you this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=728296

Bit of shopping around could find you a deal on a celica, tax the same as the carina, insurance should be similar?... but of course it might not be what your after.

Thank you TJJP for one of the most helpful post of the whole phucking thread, dunno just not quite worth 3k.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

To go against the grain of the whole thread I'm going to say I like the carina.. a lot. Any 'hot hatch' from the same era is bound to have had the nuts driven off of it, this though I would imagine would have belonged to a more responsible person. It has lots of power and will be super comfortable and when needed it'll rip off and leave a boy racer in a saxo in your dust.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Volvoboy wrote:
    Thank you TJJP for one of the most helpful post of the whole phucking thread, dunno just not quite worth 3k.
    -VB-

But I thought you were looking for reasons NOT to buy the car?????:confused:

Surely alternatives available for the money are valid contenders for reasons not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Parts are probably shared with 1.6, 1.8i Carinas of same vintage. Nice car IMHO, but I don't know if 3k is a good price. I wouldn't really worry about the parts.

Advertisement