Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVC vs Accelerated Mortgage Repayment

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. I'm paying AVCS and getting around 8-9% yoy return. Upside is tax reflief. Downside is my money is at risk and exposed to markets.

My mortgage repayments like everyone else are increasing.

Anyone know what makes more financial sense. To pay off mortgage asap or let the mortgage run and max out AVCs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

IMO max your AVC's. Don't worry about the mortgage, rates have never been more low and stable. People my age (34) or younger dont know what high interest is.

You get int relief on your mortgage.
    You get tax relief on your pension contributions.
    Your pension contributions grow exponentially (if your fund mgr is any good).
    As long as your mort repay will discharge mort by retire age - your in good shape.

This is my personal opinion. Remember, they say you should never listen to free advice.

Advertisement