Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing car - do I need actual NCT cert.

Options
  • 26-06-2007 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to tax my car. It was off-the-road and I got the RF100A form stamped by the Garda. I have the insurance cert and the car has an NCT disc but I can't find the actual NCT certificate. Do I actually need it to get tax or how can I get a copy?

Honestly it is ridciulous in this day and age to have to have all this paperwork. Why can't we simply pay car tax the same way we buy mobile phone credit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

you dont even need nct to tax car where im from!! you will get all the details you need off the disc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

No, you don't need nct or insurance documentation or even the details of what is on that documentation. All they ask for is that you know the name of your insurance company and when the insurance ends. They don't ask to see any of the documentation. Last time I asked one of the (surprisingly helpful and pleasant) tellers at the motor tax office why this is, she said they don't need to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

as far as i know you need your insurance policy number , the name of your insurance company and the dates or when your policy starts and ends. As for the nct cert you dont need it , ring any tax office and there is a auto message there stating that you do not need a nct cert to tax you car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I recently got my car taxed, second hand car so had to go to the tax office. On the form I had to fill in the NCT cert number and the insurance policy number, cashier didn't look at any of the documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

ive taxed loads of cars with no nct cert and also with it stating on the tax renewal form that the NCT was due 2 years ago and thay never said anything!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Linford wrote:
    I recently got my car taxed, second hand car so had to go to the tax office. On the form I had to fill in the NCT cert number and the insurance policy number, cashier didn't look at any of the documents.

They just can't be bothered updating the forms , they won't ask if you leave it blank.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chef1976

not sure how correct this is but I was told in meath they will only tax for 3 months without nct

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Chef1976 wrote:
    not sure how correct this is but I was told in meath they will only tax for 3 months without nct
    No, you can tax your car without a NCT cert, they only looked for the cert for the first year or so after the NCT was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I just taxed my motorcycle online, i don't need a NTC for it, but when it comes to the Insurance details page, I just typed random numbers and picked a random insurance company and it worked.
    I don't think they give a ****, as long as your credit card number works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thanks lads, I was delaying getting the tax due to gathering the forms together. Now I'll be able to breathe a little easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement