Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving car to UK - and back

Options
  • 26-06-2007 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Might be heading to UK for a job in September and intend on staying there for at least 9 months and want to bring car over.

Insurance company say they'll only insure car for 3 months.

So, could I register the car in the UK and if so would i have to pay anything such as VRT?

Also, if i could do that, could i then bring the car back over here without penalty should i decide the job is not for me?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sell your car before you head over and buy one in England. If you plan on staying 9 months it shouldn't be too hard to keep your records active for 3 extra moths to be able to bring the car back here tax free:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Not possible, but thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else any info?

Tried googling but didn't get anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Easy to re-reg a car to the UK and only costs around £39 plus road tax for however long you are there. You can keep hold of the Irish Reg as well and just stick the plates back on when you return.

I have previously posted links and full details for this if you search my posts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It would make a lot of financial sense to import from the UK. There must be a way to get it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

A car can't be registered in 2 EU countries, the UK DVLA will send the registration back to ireland or something like that.

QUinn give 3 months and thats fast approaching for me, I just dont know how they will ever know when I came over! They hardly ask Irish Ferries for reg numbers do they?thats the only way to prove it.
    Unless you drove the car back every 3 months.But thats hassle.

Im just thinking of buying a run around for 300quid and driving it about here and keep my Irish car parked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They hardly ask Irish Ferries for reg numbers do they?
    If you have a claim against you they probably will - or at least ask to see your ticket as proof! Insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying out.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Just to clear this up - Quinn direct will insure you for an unlimited amount of time here in the UK with your Irish policy and Irish car.

I was talking to a supervisor about it this morning

Advertisement