Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenihan's First Buck Pass

Options
  • 26-06-2007 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Last night, Justice Minister Brian Lenihan refused to comment on the death saying it was a matter for the prison service and gardaí at this stage.

So at what stage will the Minister pass his comment? Good flying start. Watch this space.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Come on Heinrich,

this is FF we're talking about. The buck never stops with them. Expect to see more of this in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Heinrich wrote:

So at what stage will the Minister pass his comment? Good flying start. Watch this space.;)

The Minister is quite correct not to comment on an ongoing murder investigation. When and if this comes to a court case we wouldn't want the lawyers screaming about the Minister prejudicing the trial would we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Mick86 wrote:
    The Minister is quite correct not to comment on an ongoing murder investigation. When and if this comes to a court case we wouldn't want the lawyers screaming about the Minister prejudicing the trial would we.

Good Lord, no! Looking forward to that trial in eager anticipation.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Come on Heinrich,

this is FF we're talking about. The buck never stops with them. Expect to see more of this in the future.

Come on what would you want him to say

And this is pure nonsense how could the buck stop with the Minister do you expect him to patrol the prisons in case one inmate stabs another.

Honestly some people are so blind in their hatred of FF that they have apparently lost all sense of reason
    No matter who was Minister for Justice no matter what party no one can promise to stop something like this happening the important thing is that every effort is made to prevent this from happening and to ensure that when it does happen that the person(s) responsible are brought to justice.

There will be an investigation if any lessons can be learned to prevent this from happening again then it is the Ministers responsibility to ensure that those lessons are learned that is what he should be judged on.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Come on what would you want him to say

And this is pure nonsense how could the buck stop with the Minister do you expect him to patrol the prisons in case one inmate stabs another.

Honestly some people are so blind in their hatred of FF that they have apparently lost all sense of reason
    No matter who was Minister for Justice no matter what party no one can promise to stop something like this happening the important thing is that every effort is made to prevent this from happening and to ensure that when it does happen that the person(s) responsible are brought to justice.

There will be an investigation if any lessons can be learned to prevent this from happening again then it is the Ministers responsibility to ensure that those lessons are learned that is what he should be judged on.

Nothing about hatred but simply that the man was asked for a comment and he referred the issue to the Gardaí and the Prison Service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Heinrich wrote:
    Good Lord, no! Looking forward to that trial in eager anticipation.;)

I was looking forward to the trial of Charles Haughey in eager anticipation until a certain Minister opened her gob.

Heinrich wrote:
    Nothing about hatred but simply that the man was asked for a comment and he referred the issue to the Gardaí and the Prison Service.

Who are investigating the matter seems perfectly reasonable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Heinrich wrote:

What, will he go down himself along with his civil servants and investigate?

And yes, they're should be an independent body to investigate the Guards and Prison Service, but would it make any difference to the Minister's comments? No. He'd have to wait for their report as well!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm no fan of Fianna Fáil but cut the man some slack. He's right to delay commenting until he's seen the report as Seanies32 said.

He himself can hardly be blamed for not instantly reforming the prison service. A number of reforms are beig introduced to try cut down on this happening in the future (although again, they weren't in a direct response to this incident and have been planned for some time).

Give Lenihan (and indeed, the rest of the Cabinet) a few months at least to establish himself before you judge him on what's currently happening. Much more telling at the moment are TDs voting patterns and the legislaton they introduce which will influence the future.

Breezer wrote:
    I'm no fan of Fianna Fáil but cut the man some slack. He's right to delay commenting until he's seen the report as Seanies32 said.

He himself can hardly be blamed for not instantly reforming the prison service. A number of reforms are beig introduced to try cut down on this happening in the future (although again, they weren't in a direct response to this incident and have been planned for some time).

Give Lenihan (and indeed, the rest of the Cabinet) a few months at least to establish himself before you judge him on what's currently happening. Much more telling at the moment are TDs voting patterns and the legislaton they introduce which will influence the future.

Let's give them the full five years and see the mess they make. Now before we start let us look at the HSE mess, MRSA, lousy roads, useless public transport, corruption, tribunals, BCF, stamp duty fibs, the list is endless. Then we can vote them back in because "I'm all right Jack" and so long as we think we are getting something we will not rock the boat. The rest of Europe is dong very well, thank you and we cannot attribute that to Bertie's team, can we? It is called progress and our contribution in that area is rather slow.

Fool me once shame on me...

• Advertisement

Heinrich wrote:
    Let's give them the full five years and see the mess they make. Now before we start let us look at the HSE mess, MRSA, lousy roads, useless public transport, corruption, tribunals, BCF, stamp duty fibs, the list is endless. Then we can vote them back in because "I'm all right Jack" and so long as we think we are getting something we will not rock the boat. The rest of Europe is dong very well, thank you and we cannot attribute that to Bertie's team, can we? It is called progress and our contribution in that area is rather slow.

I think this tells us where your first post was actually coming from.

By all means we should criticise the Government when they fail to do what they promised and mess up but attacking Lenihan in this case is not justified.

On the issue of the election it is about time people got over it and accepted the result it might not be want we wanted personally but that is democracy

Voipjunkie wrote:
    I think this tells us where your first post was actually coming from.

By all means we should criticise the Government when they fail to do what they promised and mess up but attacking Lenihan in this case is not justified.

On the issue of the election it is about time people got over it and accepted the result it might not be want we wanted personally but that is democracy

Democracy works for 50+% and fails for the others. The first post came from the same place as the others.;)

I would have expected some comment from the minister in view of the fact that the prison service is in one hell of a mess and he would have been well briefed on that. Maybe an offer of condolance for the victim's family coupled with the old chestnut "I will do all in my power..."

Heinrich wrote:
    Democracy works for 50+% and fails for the others. The first post came from the same place as the others.;)

I would have expected some comment from the minister in view of the fact that the prison service is in one hell of a mess and he would have been well briefed on that. Maybe an offer of condolance for the victim's family coupled with the old chestnut "I will do all in my power..."

So you think democracy has failed you so what is your suggestion as an alternative perhaps a benign dictatorship with yourself in charge because you know whats good for us:rolleyes:

So you wanted Lenihan to give you some empty platitudes to prove he could do the job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Quote:
    Last night, Justice Minister Brian Lenihan refused to comment on the death saying it was a matter for the prison service and gardaí at this stage.

Well getting back to the original post is there something you know about this case that we don't or indeed Lenihan doesn't. He has to wait for the reports which will include medical report.

Even if the Govt. does a good job on Health, transport etc. etc. some people will always be against them. Even if the country was perfect in 5 years time they'd blame FF for not having something to moan about ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Heinrich wrote:

Not entirely sure why you quoted me before posting this. I voted Labour, Fine Gael and the Greens in that order for the exact reasons you gave above. Wasn't this topic about Brian Lenihan?

Advertisement