Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leather

Options
  • 26-06-2007 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at buying a used car with a black leather interior. The garage have used Son-Of-A-Gun or similar to clean it and the result is that shiney oily effect. I hate that as it makes the leather look plastic.

Does anyone know if this can be cleaned off, and if there is a leather polish that has a matt finish?

Cheers.
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner & Conditioner & it doesn't make it look shiney.
    The Son Of A Gun can be cleaned off with any leather cleaner really.

If it is looking a bit scruffy around the edges try a bit of
    http://www.liquidleather.com

Or if the leather has gone all grey on the seat bolster due to wear there is a guy on EBay selling leather dyes to match exact colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Saddle soap does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks guys.

www.liquidleather.com says not to use soap, as it dries the leather. Is saddle soap a different product?

P
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Prospect, buy yourself some Zymol leather cleaner, even Halfords sell it now.

Spray a bit on, wipe it around the seat with a damp towel, then a dry towel and apply leather milk and when that's been on the seats for a few mins, buff it off with a dry towel. If you can do all this in the sunlight, all the better. If not, stick on the heat and close the doors.

As for the dealers using Son of a Gun :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Dealers always seem to do this in their so called "valets"!! The amount of used cars I see on forecourts with ultra-shiney dashboards and steering wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner & Conditioner & it doesn't make it look shiney.
    The Son Of A Gun can be cleaned off with any leather cleaner really.

If it is looking a bit scruffy around the edges try a bit of
    http://www.liquidleather.com

Or if the leather has gone all grey on the seat bolster due to wear there is a guy on EBay selling leather dyes to match exact colour.
    I use the Autoglym cleaner & Cream also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Most of the pro's use Gliptone. Even some of Zymols own authorised Detailers do (but cannot admit it openly).;) That is even the "Treat" version (conditioner) which is three times as expensive than the cheap rebottled Turtle Wax stuff sold in Halfords.

I find Gliptone's generic Gentle Leather Cleaner (Liquid version) better than the Liquid Leather one which is a bit tacky. The conditioner works well afterwards and leaves a nice smell of leather (if you like that sort of thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You could try using a few baby wipes and then when the seats dry sprinkle some talc over it !

Belive it or not this does work, the alchohol in the wipes removes the silicones, and once dry the talc takes the shine off it. Dont use too much obviously :D and wipe/hoover up the excess !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TomMc wrote:
    I find Gliptone's generic Gentle Leather Cleaner (Liquid version) better than the Liquid Leather one which is a bit tacky. The conditioner works well afterwards and leaves a nice smell of leather (if you like that sort of thing).

Where do you get Gliptone (Cleaner & Conditioner)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Where do you get Gliptone (Cleaner & Conditioner)?
    smartcarcare.ie/catalog - The liquid (cleaner) one I'm talking about is not on their site, but I'm sure if you email them, they will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

.......any links to this guy ?

prospect wrote:
    Thanks guys.

www.liquidleather.com says not to use soap, as it dries the leather. Is saddle soap a different product?

P
    :)

Saddle soap, like it says on the tin, is special soap to clean and preserve leather goods.

It's easy to use, it's cheap, it works, it smells nice, it contains no nasty chemicals and it keeps the leather supple without giving it that nasty shine.

Try it.
    (you'll get it in any equestrian place if you can't find it elswhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

peasant wrote:
    Saddle soap, like it says on the tin, is special soap to clean and preserve leather goods.

It's easy to use, it's cheap, it works, it smells nice, it contains no nasty chemicals and it keeps the leather supple without giving it that nasty shine.

Try it.
    (you'll get it in any equestrian place if you can't find it elswhere)

Cool.

Thanks for all the help guys.

P

just did a quick google on saddle soap ...quite a few sites there say not to use it (ever) and buy their product instead.

All I can say is that it gave me great results on the seats of my Saab and that it worked for me.

Advertisement