Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New addition to the family - vet help ....

Options
  • 26-06-2007 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I drove to Clane last night and got a kitten off a very nice man there. His name will be Baggins, and he's a right cute ball of fur!

He does, however, have a bit of a sore eye. We want to take him to a vet today to make sure it's ok, and check he's in good health (he seems fine - eating like a small horse!). We live in Lucan - anyone know any vets in this area?

Besides that, anything we can do to help it heal in the meantime, for example the guy we got it off suggested cold tea bags?

Thanx in advance, or miow, as Baggins would say ... :D

F.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Some salt and cold boiled water, wash Baggins' eyes gently. Thats what we did when our kittens eyes were sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭F@ces

corkimp wrote:
    Some salt and cold boiled water, wash Baggins' eyes gently. Thats what we did when our kittens eyes were sore.

Thanks for the info corkimp. We found a vet in Lucan village and he's all booked in for this evening :p

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

how did Baggin's trip to the vet go? :D Hope all is well. Keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laura~

Visidic Gel should keep the eye moist for the little thing, but for actually treating the root cause of whatever it is, you will also need your vet to diagnose and recommend something.

This could be symptomatic of something larger but Visidic Gel will at least help to keep the eye comfy if its dry from weeping/discharge.

My g/f brought him to the vet in Lucan yesterday.

Unfortunately he has cat flu; his sore eye being a symptom of that (conjunctivitis). There is obviously a small chance he might not make it :( But the vet said he's robust, and we are addressing it aggressively. He's got drops for his eyes that we are putting in 3 times a day, and some sort of pink antibiotic stuff that we administer 2 times a day using a droplet. His eye is fairly bad, and the doc wasn't sure if it would ever fully heal. But I was amazed even this morning how much better it looked. Anyway, we would much prefer to see him make it and be healthy as even if his eye does not fully recover then his health's the main thing.

He's eating fairly well, using his litter box, and jumping around the place and being generally very boistrous (except for the occasions he adopts the parrot position on my g/f's shoulder for a snooze!).

Really hoping he makes it ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

As someone earlier said, a tea bag will really help his eye, i will take some of the inflamation down.
    Dont worry too much about the kitten they are stronger than tehy look.
    I would however ring that man in Clane and tell him that the kitten has cat flu as it will have been passed onto others from the same litter!
    Was the kitten vaxed before you got him?

As someone earlier said, a tea bag will really help his eye, i will take some of the inflamation down.
    Dont worry too much about the kitten they are stronger than tehy look.
    I would however ring that man in Clane and tell him that the kitten has cat flu as it will have been passed onto others from the same litter!
    Was the kitten vaxed before you got him?

Yeah, ur right, hadn't thought of that. Will ring him today.

The kitten had the worming thing done (or so we've been told). Vet said we'd get his flu sorted first then discuss all the vaccinations he needs then.

Btw just wanna say thanx for all the replies (help and kind words).

Much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Just persist with the drops/ointment etc and also, use cold tea bags and wash the eye regularly during the day to stop it closing over. Have the same issue with some stray kittens here at the moment and after a week they are about 90% there. One of them couldnt even open his eyes properly for the first few days, but now he he is fine and can see perfectly well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Hope good ol' Baggins bounces back - he sounds pretty ok as he's eating and playing. My first cat got cat flu as a kitten as well and after an injection from the vet he was as good as new and lived for many more happy years - now sadly departed and still missed.

• Advertisement

Baggins is flying at the moment and seems well on the way to recouperating! We're not sure if his eye will ever fully recover, but sure this isn't too important as long as he's fit and healthy (I'd like his eye to recover for him, but if not he certainly won't be treated any less because of it!).

Currently his favourite pastimes include:

- Sleeping on g/f's shoulder in "parrot position".
    - Just generally being a kitten and really enjoying being belly rubbed and clawing at ur fingers and biting (but always playfully).
    - Attempting to navigate those mountainous steps on the stairs. He is now managing this, and is regularly found peeping through the banister or climbing my jacket that hangs there ( :p ).
    - When I'm walking around, he's often found hanging from the bottom of my jeans as he attacks it or my shoes (play acting).
    - Hiding and thinking we don't know where he is. I can see ur ears Baggins!
    - Fascination with my laptop. Whenever I'm doing something on it he cruises over and decides to sit on the keyboard. Yesterday he managed to hit keys that saved a website to my favourites ( :D ). I'm currently grooming him (pun intended) for a lucrative job in IT.

Gotta love the little guy ;)

F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw, bless him. He sounds simply gorgeous! And he's in a fab home by the sounds of things. May you and g/f have many happy years with Baggins!

Dudess wrote:
    Aw, bless him. He sounds simply gorgeous! And he's in a fab home by the sounds of things. May you and g/f have many happy years with Baggins!

Thanks for the kind words :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

F@ces wrote:
    Fascination with my laptop. Whenever I'm doing something on it he cruises over and decides to sit on the keyboard. Yesterday he managed to hit keys that saved a website to my favourites ( :D ). I'm currently grooming him (pun intended) for a lucrative job in IT.

And ensure that you post every second of it to YouTube - like this cutie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ860P4iTaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0zgQAp7EYw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laura~

F@ces wrote:
    Baggins is flying at the moment

- Fascination with my laptop. Whenever I'm doing something on it he cruises over and decides to sit on the keyboard. F.

The cat translation of that is "Stop playing with this darn laptop and pay ME some attention instead...let me help you out with that by presenting myself while preventing you from interacting further with that in one easy move".

My cat used to do this occasionally when she was younger :)

Advertisement