Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

passat mpg

Options
  • 26-06-2007 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

mums passat is getting 477 miles to 58 liters. i make that to be around 37 mpg. this is way too low isn't it? she really only does short journeys but c'mon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cantdecide wrote:
    mums passat is getting 477 miles to 58 liters. i make that to be around 37 mpg. this is way too low isn't it? she really only does short journeys but c'mon

What size engine is it? Petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

if its the 1.6 petrol its very good if its a diesel then not great.....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I've a 1.9 TDI 2006, get 40 in bad city driving with very light foot, drive harder and it drops. gently does it though...

If it's petrol she must be using the force :)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I've a 1.9 TDI 2006, get 40 in bad city driving with very light foot, drive harder and it drops. gently does it though...

If it's petrol she must be using the force :)

I have a 2005 2.0 TDI and would get about 800 -850 km's out of a tank - usually about 60-65 litres - pottering around urban with a few trips up and down the M50.

When I take it away on Motorway trips I can get 1000km's + out of a tank.

Really need to know year and engine before we can comment....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

short journeys kill your fuel consumption all that stop start engine never properly warm etc 37 sounds alright for short journeys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah what engine is it?

Sounds right for a pterol though , which would be very good figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

sorry- a bone headed moment there. '04 1.9 TD(red)I 50k miles. She's doing a lot of short spins but none in traffic really. she's not heavy footed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cantdecide wrote:
    sorry- a bone headed moment there. '04 1.9 TD(red)I 50k miles. She's doing a lot of short spins but none in traffic really. she's not heavy footed either.

That sounds very poor for a diesel. Might be worth getting the car serviced or at least hooked up to a diagnostic computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

bazz26 wrote:
    That sounds very poor for a diesel. Might be worth getting the car serviced or at least hooked up to a diagnostic computer.

It's 760Km or so to the tank... bearing in mind that the she is putting in 7 or 8 litres less than I am in a 2.0TDI and I get about the 800Km pottering around town...

It's not that bad. If you take it on a trip down the country does it improve ?

Diesels will rarely give you back the milage you expect on the short hops around town.

If you got 475 miles out of a tank of petrol you would be happy.... you are getting that milage with a tank that is costing you less to fill too so it's not all bad.

just to be clear, she's not really doing the rush hour traffic run- she doesn't really meet traffic at all in her daily trek.

it's 3 or 4 miles to and from the nearby town and a bit of poking around here and there it has just been fully serviced.

i had a couple of 1.9tdis and they never gave less that 44mpg.

I'm not complaining that it should be running for free- i'm more concerned of there being a problem with the engine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

defnitely get it checked out then!

A tdi with a light foot should easily be touching 600miles per tank , short runs or not

that's what i was thinking- no matter how my usage went up or down, in my own ones- a discrepency of 10 miles per tank was tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cantdecide wrote:
    that's what i was thinking- no matter how my usage went up or down, in my own ones- a discrepency of 10 miles per tank was tops.

Sounds like it could be your Mass Airflow Meter, I was only getting 37-38mpg with a dodgy MAF. Replaced it and back up to 50 - 55 on long journeys, 40 - 45 city driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My 02 Passat 1.9 T(Red)DI (130Bhp) does about 650m on a full tank. Depending on traffic conditions naturally, but the bulk of my driving is on N/M roads so usually get about a week and a half out of a full tank (minimum of 50 miles a day travelled)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 modalcommand

Thats very poor alright. The last 10,000 miles I have actually averaged over 50mpg with plenty of city driving in that. Got 63mpg on the road to Galway there recently. Same car and engine as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

My A4 with the same TDI engine does at most 720 miles to a 60 litre tank, but I do all long driving (about 80 miles perday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Mpg is very subjective and depends on how a person drives what they carry aircon lights on even window open or not.

Try driving with as little braking as possible, by this I don't mean going fast quite the opposite. See how long you can drive without using your brakes as much. It involves really watching whats going on around you, and staying back, and anticipating. It will make you a safer driver help the planet and save you a few bob too.

Advertisement