Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced Motherboard - No Graphics Output?

Options
  • 26-06-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I recently replaced my motherboard after my last Socket 478 motherboard packed in. I got a 2nd hand ABit IS7-E2 Socket 478 and the seller confirms that it is in PWO and he tested with numerous AGP graphics cards. Yesterday I rebuilt my system (some specs shown below), cleared the CMOS memory by switching the jumper position for a few seconds, and then tried bootup.

There is no 'beeping' on the speaker, and the CPU fan and hard disks are spinning up, all seems normal, but there is no video being sent to my monitor. I am just wondering if I am missing something here? AGP cards should be plug & play right?

Is there anything else I need to do in order to have the board accept my graphics card (which was definitely working on previous board).

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated, jAH

Specs:
    Socket-478 P4 2.4GHz Prescott CPU
    ABit IS7-E2: http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IS7-E2&fMTYPE=Socket+478
    Zalman Fan: http://www.zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/7700_eng.PDF
    128MB AGP nVidia GeForce FX5200: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/video/explorer_5200/index_2.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

does the motherboard have onboard video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

nope there is no onboard video

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

have you another graphics card you can put in, or even take a loan of to check that it's not your graphics card?

stakey wrote:
    have you another graphics card you can put in, or even take a loan of to check that it's not your graphics card?

unfortunately not... I'm considering picking up a cheap 2nd hand video card tho to find out if this will sort the issue but seems like it might be overkill, I am fairly certain that my graphics card is working fine.

Just as a matter of interest - can you bootup a motherboard with minimal components (no RAM, IDE, Floppy attached) and still get video output of the BIOS?

jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Nope you need RAM, CPU minimum everything else is optional but of course a graphics card for video output is needed.

Best thing to do is pull the motherboard from the case & remove all peripherals but leave the CPU, one RAM module and graphics card plugged in. Now connect the power to the motherboard and power it on to see if it boots.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip 8T8, I will give that a go after work. Also borrowed a PCI graphics card from a colleague so at least I can see if PCI graphics is an option (although that still wouldn't tell me if my AGP card OR slot is borked)..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Try it without any RAM as well - you might get some beep code which will at least tell you the motherboard is somewhat functional.

Success! Am posting from the machine now. I tried 8T8's tip, and just booted up the board with one stick of RAM, CPU & Fan and the AGP Video Card and I got the BIOS menu. I then booted down and installed an extra stick of RAM, tried booting up and nothing... removed the RAM to previous config, tried again and nothing...

After much head scratching I tried removing the fan and reseating the CPU, then booted up and the BIOS menu came up again on screen. I figure the issue must have been that the CPU has not secured as the system has now accepted 2 sticks of RAM and the IDE drives.

However, when I try to connect the front and back panel USB wires to the connectors, the system boots up to Windows XP, then a beep is heard and the system resets and goes into this infinite loop, removing the front/back panel USB connectors, the system seems fine..?

I am pretty certain I have the wires in the correct positions so not sure what this issue is but at least the 2 onboard USB ports are available. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips

jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Might be worth trying to update the bios {if possible} just in case there is some sort in incomparability with the RAM which is related to the weirdness with the USB.

The front panel headers for USB should adhere to the industry standard though there are rare ones which don't and the same goes for the headers on the motherboard check the motherboard manual to make sure the pins are all in the right place.

Advertisement