Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Problems

• 26-06-2007 11:40am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure what's going on with our wireless at the moment but it's playing up a bit. I switched on my PC this morning to see the wireless connection down/red in the system tray, it was the same on my dad's machine downstairs. I tried disabling/enabling the connection and rebooting but that didn't work. The wireless modem seems OK. So I rang Eircom and troubleshooted a bit, seemingly it wasn't their problem as their signal was working but we pinged the router and did a few other things...in the end messing around with TCP/IP through the DOS/CMD prompt followed by a reboot seemed to fix it.

Any ideas why this might have happened, it happened the other morning too but I simply disabled/enabled rebooted and it was fine. I'd rather not have this happen again tomorrow or whenever as my dad doesn't exactly have the patience of a saint. My PC is XP Pro and his is Win 2000 so it's easier to fix stuff through my machine and I'm lucky that when I did something on mine it appeared to have a knock on effect on his.

Some company were out digging up the road the other day and they did damage Eircom's lines so my road had no phones about about 48 hours, I doubt it's problems from that though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Doubt it was the fault of the road works, but are you saying that you fixed it by messing with the TCP settings on your computer and then reboot?

I am wondering if that could be a coincidence and the fault lies with an overheating wireless router.

Had that once myself. A quick reboot of the modem would not fix it but it was fine for a while if turned off for about 5 min.

Shane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Overheating, hadn't though of that.

Yeah, the Eircom guy got me to turn off the router for about a minute then I turned it back on. Then we went through the TCP/IP thing in the command prompt and rebooted both PCs, was fine then.

Well i understand the Silver Netopia's had a overheating problem with a batch or two.

However i have the same problem with one of the older netopia's which was in an enclosed area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm. I don't understand though, it seemed like more of a Windows problem rather than the router as the signal was OK. Would overheating not be obvious and knock out those 3 green lights etc?

I am not convinced it is a overheating issue, but since both computers suffered the same problem, the issue is probably the router.

When i had the overheating issue, i would just loose the connection but i suppose it depends which component was overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

Firmware upgrade might solve overheating problem.

Advertisement