Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something seems broken

Options
  • 26-06-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Has one of the webservers exploded or something? ;)
    It seems every time I navigate to a new page, make a post etc boards times out. I have to click refresh several times to get going again.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Same sysptoms as a few days ago. Seems to work better the second time you click on a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm having the same problem myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ditto, seems as if one of the LB nodes is borked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Yep, know about it. I'll look when I can.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Quit your job Dan, this is much more important!
    <_<

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Seems fine for me, been browsing/posting for an hour now with no ill effects... did I miss all the fun?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think so. Its been fine for me for the last few hours.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

been doing it to me for the last half hour or so,
    using FF2.0
    3mb UTV DSL

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there any connection between this and the increasingly common occurences of posts being quoted before they've been written?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proberly, I saw one very weird exchange earlier!

So much hardware so little improvement. But hey I'm in danger of sounding like I have a neurosis. ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Mike, you know I'm the admin who used to stick up for you?

Anyway, I don't think you are in danger of sounding like you have a neurosis, just in danger of sounding like a whinging idiot.
    So much hardware so little improvement.

We're serving over twice as much as we were several months ago. Its like adding lanes on the M50 that get instantly filled. However, the average page load time is down and the average stay-time on the site has increased.

There's a to-do list on boards as long as my arm, and I'd like to sincerely apologise for having the gall to have a full-time job in order to keep me going while I spend very large portions of my unpaid free time in order to give you your soapbox.

Please take a great deal of offence from this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I always imagine the boards server room like the space station in the Venture Brothers episode Careers In Science, where there's a single "Problem Light" that lights up when there's a problem, but doesn't indicate where the problem lies. And instead of the instruction "If problem occurs, contact Dr. Venture" it says Contact Regi.

problemuj2.jpg

Regi, you are right not to apologise for having a proper job.

Rather the boards.ie administration as a whole should wonder if its time to employ someone as a full-time technical trouble-shooter rather than have you running around with a bucket bailing out after a leak has sprung.

Mike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Honestly, stop posting. I used to be the one of us who despised you the most but now I'm a distant second. You simply have no clue.

Your opinion of me is not a concern.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hey lads, take it easy. No need to be bitching at each other. All good friends here.

I see where both Regi and Mike is coming from.

1) Regi and the others are doing an excellent job keeping the site running. I remember not so long ago I hated coming to this site simply because it was a bitch to get access to; random periods of downtime, slowness, constant problems etc.

But now, espically since the move to Digiweb and changes that have been made when the move completed, things have improved so much. The site loads the majority of the time for me. I dont come across as much problems as I used.

It takes time, but things are improving. Clearly the donations are being used, as we have seen improvements. Clearly, the advertising money is also being put to good use. Overall, im happy. Im giving money when I can, I see others are to, and the site is finally rising from the dead!

2) Mike; I understand your frustration. Boards is a great place, lots of forums to talk about lots of different stuff. Many people to find out new things, or to meet new people. Its a huge site, and as a result of its populairty the servers dont handle it very well. They need to be worked on, new hardware needs to be implemented, small features that cause problems need to be disabled to ease the load on the server - all in aid of getting boards away from being down.

Some of what was disabled has been re-enabled - and the site is running pretty smoothly. Money we are giving as donations are being used to make changes here and there to keep things going as best as possible. It takes time, progress might be slow, but one step at a time and more donations things will be back to normal full swing.

I agree, poor Regi and the lads have an awful hard time. They not only have jobs, which we all know can take up a lot of our time and a hard days work drains us out - so any break we get, we want to relax. But, the lads are using their spare time to get out there and improve things with the money being received.

You point out that they shouldnt have to bear the burden of the work. Someone should be hired and payed a full wage to keep us fellow Boardsies happy by keeping the site running by hiring a full time tech to keep things working and upgrading when appropriate. Right? Kind of. I agree, but its not really possible. Imagine the costs envolved in hiring someone to run the site on a day-to-day basis? Ie getting rid of part-timer regi and hiring full-timer Jonny and Co. to keep things running without hickup. No donations or adverts money could afford those costs.

Regi & Co. have brought the site back from the days where it was pretty much always down, blank pages, features disabled right left and center. Its now a lot better then it was. Overtime, things improved. Regi takes his spare time and donations to pay for sever upgrades and hosting - and possibly more out of his own wage packet.

Give the lads a break, applaud them for the work they have done. Its frustrating we still have problems, but the site has come a long way thanks to them. The last thing we need is for Regi and Co. to crack up and say "Im out" and the whole site just falling to pieces. I trust that it will continue to improve, but it will take time. As the saying goes, "Rome wasnt built in a day".
    These things take time.

(Note: I do btw think that your feedback is great, and you offer some great ideas. No doubt about that, but, dont pester to much and make a mockery of work which is clearly actually of use to Boards!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Stephen wrote:
    It seems every time I navigate to a new page, make a post etc boards times out. I have to click refresh several times to get going again.
    I'm experiencing this now... just in case you (the admins) can connect it with any other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

mike65 wrote:
    Regi, you are right not to apologise for having a proper job.

Rather the boards.ie administration as a whole should wonder if its time to employ someone as a full-time technical trouble-shooter rather than have you running around with a bucket bailing out after a leak has sprung.

Mike.

You don't seem to know whats involved in running this site. I know pretty much what is involved and in a couple months I should be able to do most of it, but still not a lot of the backend hardware stuff, load balancing, HA cluster stuff. To hire me or someone like me to provide say 20 hours a week of coverage you'd be talking easily 32K a year, and I'd be completely inexperienced. Do you know what Regi does for a living? Have you even the vaguest of clues what type of money would be involved if boards had to pay for all his billable hours?

You seem to have this impression that we'll just be able to replace him like that with someone that would be able to do everything he can and 24/7. That just isn't going to happen. People like that aren't down the dole office looking for work. Where's the benefit of having someone get to a problem sooner but alas doesn't have the experience to sort out the problem? We're lucky to have regi, imagine if he wasn't there?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm experiencing this now... just in case you (the admins) can connect it with any other factors.

I'm having this issue this morning when I try to post new posts, first effort is hanging, but second one seems to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

copacetic wrote:
    I'm having this issue this morning when I try to post new posts, first effort is hanging, but second one seems to work.
    Actually yeah, on reflection, that describes the problem more accurately.
    1st click ... nothing happens... page times out.
    2nd click... the page loads immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I had a problem for the last few days, i'm on BT 3mb.
    The site wouldn't load at all. Tried pinging and the name wasn't resolved.
    Changed my dns to an eircom server and all is now fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dampsquid wrote:
    I had a problem for the last few days, i'm on BT 3mb.
    The site wouldn't load at all. Tried pinging and the name wasn't resolved.
    Changed my dns to an eircom server and all is now fine
    Yep... I had this problem too... It's a BT issue with certain Irish sites I think... it's happened before several times in the past.

I have to use OpenDNS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Random 404s all day today and yesterday. The whole of yesterday afternoon, boards was dead for me or may as well have been. Bit better today, refreshing a few times seems to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It seems to be affecting adverts.ie today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It's a BT issue with certain Irish sites I think
    I have to use OpenDNS.

I'm with eircom and have had to refresh the pages quite a bit also. Once or twice I've had to do a third refresh to get the page to load. This is not a complaint btw, just a bit of info that may or may not help.

I'm sure the vast majority of boards users appreciate the job regi does, even if they don't say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Think there is a web node acting a bit funny at the moment, I'll poke the admins about it if I see anyone online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yep... I had this problem too... It's a BT issue with certain Irish sites I think... it's happened before several times in the past.

I have to use OpenDNS.

It's not just a BT issue. I've got Smart 8MB and I'm getting the same problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

im on crossan cable/casey cable vision and having the same issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's not so hot on Wandoo France either.

Any chance someone could publish the IP addresses for Boards?

I'd like to be sure they're not accidentally being blocked by firewall / peer guardian etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

As far as I know Regi is trying to impliment data replication this weekend, so it's entirely possible that one of the backend nodes isn't doing the business as yet. So you come on, one node tries to service your request, it fails, then you get kicked over to another. Thats only a guess, I know nothing that isn't posted on this forum.

http://89.234.66.107/ is one address for boards anyway.

Advertisement