Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc A140 Yay or nay??

Options
  • 26-06-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

I'm looking at an A140 for myself and was wondering does anyone have any expierence of these good or bad??
    I've read that services and parts are v pricey is this right??
    Its second hand 1999

Thx:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

To be honest there are better cars out there ! The newer ones since '02 are not bad and the latest model is a different beast !

I would rethink it, and go for a better car, different brand ! These are reknowned for poor build quality and materials, and you can see the interiors are very plasticky !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

my missus had a 99' A140 and it was just plain awful .... horrid and flaky inside, road noise was terrible and the handling was dreadful.

It aged very quickley and I was delighted to see it go a few years back !! I would walk rather than drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your buying the car because you like it and it suits your needs then fair enough but if your main reason for buying it is to get on the MB ladder then imo don't bother. Not a great car for MB at the time. There are much better other makes out there for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

cool thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 baddabing

You do realise that these are not in actual fact built my Mercedes, same as the lupo is not actually built by volkswagen.

Dont be sold by the badge, do some research around what you need in a car and the right one will pop up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Ugh... They're definitely not a driver's car... Horrible handling and a cheap feel inside and out that separates it from any other Merc I've seen. They lean horribly, have no real feeling of confidence, you're constantly wondering if it'll topple over or slide out in the next corner - and that's not even pushing it! That's doing normal speeds which would feel just fine driving a Polo or similar sized car from the same time - and which you should probably find for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I only have experience with the old model and as others said, it's not great. It feels cheap and doesn't handle well. One redeeming factor is that the rear leg room in the LWB (long wheel base) model is incredible! As in more space than a standard BMW 7-series or Mercedes S-class...

If you want something along the lines of the A Class then take a look at the Audi A2. Use of light aluminium body panels combined with the 1.4 TDi engine gives it great fuel economy.

Pretty rare in Ireland though:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=2&xMakeID=2&ModelID=11&xModelID=11&Year=&xYear=&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

Yeah, supposed to be nice and economical - the look just never appealed to me though :/

Yeah the A2 looks are either "love it" or "hate it" but no worse than the A Class imo.

• Advertisement

Hehe, good point... Neither are really going to win any beauty contests ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

A2 all the way. I have one and it's a cracking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From what I remember reading, Honest John has a very low opinion of the A series - see link and look it up.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement