Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access query syntax

Options
  • 26-06-2007 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm not very familiar with Access but I have to do a query on a database.

The database has a table with an address field. This is used for the full address, i.e., streetnumber , streetname, town/city, county.

I want to run a query to return records by individual county.

I've tried various keywords like "in", "=", "like" etc but can't get any results returned unless I use the full and exact address as it is in the field.

It's not my database. I can't make any changes to it so can't split the address data into separate fields for each element of the address.

How can I get what I want returned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't have access handy. Have you tried something like
    select * from AddressTable where Address like '%Dublin%'

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I think the wildcard character in access is "*" not "%".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well you are the man with two brains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

hehe nope :p I got a head full of lemons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks lads, that works well.

One thing, and it's not terribly important, using the wildcard like you suggest returns results like Dublin Road, Cork when I am querying for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

first of all the address column should have been built as seperate columns (street column, county column etc)

If you have no choice how about this

select * from AddressTable where Address like '*, Dublin'

this will work if all the addresses are in the format of '...comma space county'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, yes, it would.

You're querying for "something containing the word Dublin".

If you assume that the county is always the last word, drop the wildcard at the end (so LIKE '*Dublin'). However, this won't find anything where there is, for example, a full stop after the county-name, or where a Dublin city address has been entered giving a last line of something like "Dublin 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Not too well up on Access this but would it be possible to and a 'and not like *cork*

the only thing is you would loose address like the Cork Road, Dublin! lol

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

keeffe2001 wrote:
    first of all the address column should have been built as seperate columns (street column, county column etc)

If you have no choice how about this

select * from AddressTable where Address like '*, Dublin'

this will work if all the addresses are in the format of '...comma space county'
    That would work for comma-space-country but not if it was entered via a multiline textfield as the data will be entered presumably over several lines - the end of each contains a line break.
    SELECT Table1.address1
    FROM Table1
    WHERE (((Table1.address1) Like "*,Dublin"));

wingnut wrote:
    Not too well up on Access this but would it be possible to and a 'and not like *cork*

the only thing is you would loose address like the Cork Road, Dublin! lol
    So don't put in the second * so that you are searching for
    "and not like *cork"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If the database does not have addresses broken up into their component pieces then it's a badly designed database and should be reworked tbh - can you ask to add a few extra columns? The should be at least some sort of state and city column.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the database does not have addresses broken up into their component pieces then it's a badly designed database and should be reworked tbh - can you ask to add a few extra columns? The should be at least some sort of state and city column.
    I would be inclined to disagree on the basis that it depends on what the address information will be used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

kbannon wrote:
    I would be inclined to disagree on the basis that it depends on what the address information will be used for.
    I don't know what it's used for but the problems that the OP is having is because the info is not properly spread out so clearly there is a need to break it up. There is no loss in separating it out and there are potential problems in having it all in one column so why not? You would never put a full name in a database you would always separate it out to last_name/first_name - it's essentially the same principal for addresses if you ever plan to gather useful info out of them. And there is a lot of interesting data to be mined from address.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This isn't too pretty, but see if it works for you:
    SELECT 
    trim(mid(Address, InStrRev(Address,",")+1 , len(address)))
    AS Expr1
    FROM tblAddress;

This query should take all the text from where the last comma in the address is, to the end of the string.

So, if you run it on a table with the following addresses:
    my house, my street, Dublin
    my house, the street, Dublin 2
    a house, some street, Dublin 4.
    the gaff, the lane, Co. Dublin.

You will get the following results:
    Dublin
    Dublin 2
    Dublin 4.
    Co. Dublin.

Is this any goood to you?

EDIT:

Sorry - that doesn't do the search for you.

If your table has these rows (new one in bold):
    my house, my street, Dublin
    my house, the street, Dublin 2
    a house, some street, Dublin 4.
    the gaff, the lane, Co. Dublin.
    [b]the house, dublin road, Cork[/b]

then this query will do the Dublin search for you - ignoring the likes of Dublin Road, Cork - and catering it for spaces, full stops and postal codes after Dublin:
    SELECT *
    FROM tbladdress
    WHERE trim(mid(Address,InStrRev(Address,",")+1,len(address))) 
    like '*Dublin*';

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

so did that work?

Advertisement