Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-racing Tips for Race Week

Options
  • 26-06-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Right, with Race Week only a month away, I thought it would be a good idea to share tips about how to get the most out of it, while spending the least amount of time queuing in traffic, for pints, to get through Shop St. etc!

So add your tips in this thread (I know there will be a couple of smart alecs who say get out of town, but this thread is for those of us who want to enjoy it, so please stay on topic)

Here's a couple of mine to get started:

Avoid Lady's Day if possible, if not get out there as early as you can. I spent 3 hours in traffic last year :mad:

At the track, the area to the right of the new stand with the Guinness tent is a lot quieter than the far end - easier to get pints and to the bookies

Staying for a couple of pints afterwards means you can avoid the worst traffic heading back into town

If drinking around Shop St, buy a carry-out so you don't have to wade into pubs to get served and take half an hour every time its your round :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Knocking Shops do not advertise in the Local Papers !

On ladys day, bring a pair of flip flopsor flat shoes in your handbags, its a long long walk up to the stands and down again and even worse in town later. High heels will kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Mon and Tue - Pretty good ,chilled atmosphere and a nice buzz about the place.

Wed - The best IMO ,good crowd(without being uncomfortable),atmosphere is great and of course you have the big race of the week

Thurs - Great eye candy but it can be a pain in the ar5e of a day.Leave very early to get there ,no later than 11am unless you enjoy sitting in traffic.Be prepared for the crowds,no area is quiet so dont bother your ar5e walking around looking for one.Stay for drinks afterwards.

Fri/Sat/Sun - Yaaaawwwwnnnnnnnnn serious anti climax, no atmosphere.Just stick with town these nights

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walking to and from the track is quicker than a vehicle, even though it takes 45 mins.

Dominic street is less busy than the crowds at Shop street.
    2003942_3768850.jpg

Btw, entry fee is about 30-40 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

biko wrote:
    Dominic street is less busy than the crowds at Shop street.

Up the Wesht!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

If drinking around Shop St, buy a carry-out so you don't have to wade into pubs to get served and take half an hour every time its your round :rolleyes:

^^^Definitely agree with this one.

Also buses from Eyre Square are pretty good all week (except for Ladies Day when it's crazy) but they're not so good coming back into town when it's a bit of a free for all.

If your coming from Headford Road side avoid the traffic by going out to Ballindooley Castle and taking the small road just beside the shop. It'll bring you almost right onto the Tuam Road enternce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

kevmy wrote:
    ^^^Definitely agree with this one.

Also buses from Eyre Square are pretty good all week (except for Ladies Day when it's crazy) but they're not so good coming back into town when it's a bit of a free for all.

If your coming from Headford Road side avoid the traffic by going out to Ballindooley Castle and taking the small road just beside the shop. It'll bring you almost right onto the Tuam Road enternce.

Damn you! Thats my short cut gone!! :D

Definitely agree with padi89, the first couple of evening meets are really chilled and good fun, you've also got some of the better horses running then that will be running later in the week too

Oh yeah, forgot one, if you're drinking in Shop St and you're going to drop a Guinness fart, please please please don't do it near me!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Biko; that picture is neither Dominic Street OR Shop Street!

Top tip for the races - go away on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

You hit the points I would say:
    Buy your drink in the off license
    Use the bus service from the race course to town afterwards
    Don't drop a Guinness Fart beside me either

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fey! wrote:
    Biko; that picture is neither Dominic Street OR Shop Street!
    True, it's actually Quay street but to most people I know Shop street includes the other three (William, High and Quay streets). Actually, that could be a new thread.

And it's neither nor ;)

Fey! wrote:
    Top tip for the races - go away on holidays.

Did you read the OP??? Here let me point it out for you

"So add your tips in this thread (I know there will be a couple of smart alecs who say get out of town, but this thread is for those of us who want to enjoy it, so please stay on topic)"

• Advertisement

Damn you! Thats my short cut gone!! :D

Sorry!!

I always use it myself and there is never anyone on it. Most people in recent years seem to be coming from the other side anyway. I'd say Tuam Road side is easier to get at and better parking if your bringing a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

leave town for a week...

otherwise, if you're working anywhere near the racecourse, make full use or your flexi-time if you have - that is, start at 7 in the morning, and leave work at 2.30 at the latest (or half an hour after the first race starts, depending on the race meeting).

Avoid town at all cost in the evenings, buy a bottle of wine and drink at home...

Then again, there's nothing more fun than watching Oompa Loompas and Orange-O-Tans staggering on high heels down Shop Street after the races...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I'd agree with avoiding Thursday completely but it's not really a good idea to go to work either so I'd recommend races on Mon, Tues, Wed and then out of town. Rent out your flat to friends for 500 euro while you're gone.

If you do go to the races then don't stay around after for pints at the racecourse, by the time you make it into town you'll be stuck in corner and have missed most of the initial post race atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

galah wrote:
    leave town for a week...
    Best solution :D

Meh ,thread has turned to usual sh1te,"leave town" etc etc...The thread is for people that enjoy the week if you want to moan start a "Why i hate Race Week thread".

OK, for those who want to enjoy themselves, try this. Especially for Padi89.

Lads - keep your wallets in your front pocket instead of your back.
    Ladies - try to keep your handbags under a piece of clothing, and make sure it's closed.

Watch out for the inevitable dodgy money going around. I had a guy ask me on Sunday for change of a €50 note which, when I saw it, was a definite fake. Fortunately I still had my money; many aren't so lucky. Avoid these scammers; if they want change, send them to a bank/shop.

Don't wear footwear that's going to cut the feet off you after walking a bit; if you do, you'll suffer badly.

Try using the bus services to the course so that you can enjoy a few drinks and avoid some of the headaches involved with driving out there.

Watch your alcohol consumption; the drunker you are, the more of a target you are. Also, if you get locked early, you're not going to get into any of the pubs.

If you want to drink on the street and are buying in the pubs, ask the barperson for a plastic glass. The pubs can't allow glass out onto the street, so the bouncers will pour your drink from a glass into plastics anyway, possibly costing you beer in the transfer as well as valuable drinking time.
    That goes double for you Guinness drinkers.

If you're drinking booze from an offy on the street, don't expect to be let into the pubs to use the toilets.

If someone starts giving you aggro, walk away. If some D4 type pleb is doing the usual Race Week "Amn't I wonderful and better than everybody else so I'm going to be obnoxious" routine to you, ignore them; these idiots are inevitable and can generally be found at the end of the night puking their guts up on the side of the street.

If you have the misfortune of having to work in town that week, take solace from the fact that it's the end of a stressful week.

If you want fast service at the bar, tip the bar staff well for the first couple of rounds.

I realise that a lot of this should be obvious, but no harm to take note of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

What's it like getting a taxi at the end of a night in race week? and do they put their prices up

Fey! wrote:
    OK, for those who want to enjoy themselves, try this. Especially for Padi89.

Good on ya FEY!

Mattkid you can get a taxi fairly handy Mon and Tue,Wed its tougher and Thurs forget about it.Fri and Sat are busier than your usual weekend so pretty tough too.
    I havent noticed any price hikes in taxi fares but im sure a few will chance their arm.

Padi - was only kidding with that comment!!! Reckoned they might be handy to remember, though.

Mattkid - don't know about the taxi prices, but if you're worried then get a printed reciept and query it afterwards.

As for taxi bookings, book the previous day if you can. Although that doesn't really work hand-in-hand with a night out.

By law all taxis have to use the meter now - if you're in doubt about a fare you can query it, definitely get a receipt, and contact the Taxi Regulator. Most taxi drivers are honest and the ones I've talked to would be happy to see the bad apples rooted out.

Back to original topic, great tips there lads....

Another question - anyone go to the Radisson after races, and is it any good?

• Advertisement

By law all taxis have to use the meter now - if you're in doubt about a fare you can query it, definitely get a receipt, and contact the Taxi Regulator. Most taxi drivers are honest and the ones I've talked to would be happy to see the bad apples rooted out.

Back to original topic, great tips there lads....

Another question - anyone go to the Radisson after races, and is it any good?

The Radisson will be wedged directly after the races on Thursday anyway, you will have to leave the course before the last race to be sure to get in.I heard its good craic there that day but i couldnt be arsed rushing out there,if you ask me everywhere is good that night.
    Went there on a Monday and Tuesday night and it was only OK but then again so are most places those nights.

Make sure you have beef role out there,lovely with a few beers.

padi89 wrote:
    The Radisson will be wedged directly after the races on Thursday anyway, you will have to leave the course before the last race to be sure to get in.I heard its good craic there that day but i couldnt be arsed rushing out there,if you ask me everywhere is good that night.
    Went there on a Monday and Tuesday night and it was only OK but then again so are most places those nights.

Is the Radisson club not shut down now? If your talking about just regular Radisson ballroom sh1t don't your hole. Town is way better.

padi89 wrote:
    Make sure you have beef role out there,lovely with a few beers.

Can't beat those roles. The amount of soakage in them is unbeliveable and tasty too

Unless the Radisson has completely turned itself around, which I doubt, then avoid it. Even with the place at quarter capacity it takes ages to get a drink; at full capacity it's nigh on impossible. And their table service isn't any better than the bar.

I speak from a lot of experience of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

sorry for going of topic but how much does it cost to rent a room for a night in Galway during race week?

james

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Check out the dogs on College Rd if you're still up for gambling any of the nights. It's open every night of race week, andthe crowds will be much less, nearly dead Mon-Wed, but friday and saturday will be black with people.

Drinking on the streets is dead handy for race week, and I've never had a problem with going into use the restrooms in pubs, it's always way too packed on the streets for bouncers to see who's bushing outside. but if in doubt, bring a plasticglass yourself.

If you don't mind it, try working for the week. I am, and I'll be getting double time all week long for it, can't wait. Especially if you're not in the service industry, when you'll encounter either no difference, or a drop in business, as other companies close for the week.

Ang Gob smacked, you'll have to provide more info, or at least some info, for anyone to be able to answer theat question.

sorry for going of topic but how much does it cost to rent a room for a night in Galway during race week?

james

LOL, if you'd looked for a rom 6 months ago you might have got one, but if you're looking now you'll only get something at least 10 miles out of town...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

i live in Galway beside the race track actually might rent my room out for the week well a few nights any how.How much will i be looking at a night?

James

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If a knocking shop takes it then €10 an hour .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If a knocking shop takes it then €10 an hour .

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I walked to the Races last year on Ladies Day, we all knew we were well over the limit to drive & my friend's bf is a Garda who tipped us off they were cheaking on the way. So I walked & hid my runners in a bush outside, best thing I ever did cos later went back for them & danced the night away! Needless to say my fiance was thrilled with me cos most of the other women were complaining. I on the other hand was smug & living it up!

Advertisement