Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-racing Tips for Race Week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I walked to the Races last year on Ladies Day, we all knew we were well over the limit to drive & my friend's bf is a Garda who tipped us off they were cheaking on the way. So I walked & hid my runners in a bush outside, best thing I ever did cos later went back for them & danced the night away! Needless to say my fiance was thrilled with me cos most of the other women were complaining. I on the other hand was smug & living it up!

Well ye started early on the sauce!
    I moved house a few months ago, now live less than a mile from the course, so am delighted I won't have to sit for 3 hours in traffic this year :)
    Couple of pints in the pub then stroll up past all the cars going nowhere :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Non-racing tip would be bring lots and I mean lots of money...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

For the scumbags and underagers amongst us, avoid the hole in the wall during race week. It's a usual haunt of jockeys, trainers and their wives, so the place fills up with money. Stick to hanging round the railway embankment with a few goons.

Maybe we could sticky this post until after race week? Mods??

wet-paint wrote:
    For the scumbags and underagers amongst us, avoid the hole in the wall during race week. It's a usual haunt of jockeys, trainers and their wives, so the place fills up with money. Stick to hanging round the railway embankment with a few goons.
    What ? A trainer or Jockey wouldn't be seen dead in that place !! it's a dump.
    Maybe the Corrib Great Southern or G hotel..

• Advertisement

It might be a dump but he's right, its a big jockey hangout during Race Week - have heard legendary stories of lock-ins and jockeys still being drunk turning up at the course the following day...
    Probably 'cos its away from the mayhem around Shop St and they've been going there every race week for donkey's years (excuse the pun! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Oh little do you know..............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

LOL the innocence!

Maybe that's why none of the horses I pick win the feckin Jockeys are out the night before gettin hammered in the Hole in the Wall lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I guess the hole would be a good place to go if you want to feel like the 'big man' during race week :D

OK, i'll stop horsing about now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

taxis race week,Dont book a taxi for a certain time it will be late and you will ber peed off!! Ring a good 20 mins to 30 mins before hand and be ready to go any time during that you could be lucky and get it quicker. There is no fee to and from the race course so its all on the meter which is probably worse!! If ye like ye can agree a fare with a driver before ye go. Getting home after the night out id walk as far as you can and if you cant flag a taxi try and ring for one!! Heres a tip for ye if yer near a hotel pop into recep and order a taxi on the free phone the taxi co will always look after hotels so give them your mobile number and stand away from the crowd if ye can.

If yer loaded and lucky on the horses tip a taxi very well and ask for their number if they cant get u a taxi they will organise with the office to get u one fast!! no of course you will get a few cowboys but it may be worth it.

Buy carryout, wear comfy shoes wouldnt reccommend flip flops walking down shop street as you could get a nasty gash from all the broken bottles, like me last year and i wasnt even out i was working!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its 'hole in the wall' a postmodern euphemism for a knocking shop ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Is that a question? If so, no, it's just the name of a pub on Eyre St. Used be a regular haunt for cops too, but that's ages back, in my grandfather and father's time, when the place was owned by a guy called LSD - Long Skinny Dick, to his not quite enemies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nobody named "Long Skinny Dick" could possibly have anything to do with a knocking shop in the real world eh!

Forgot another one: If anyone approaches you in a pub with a "charity sponsorship card", check their ID, inform the bouncers, and don't give them money. There was a guy caught when we were in Buskers one of the nights last year, he had hundreds of euros on him that unwitting people thought was going to charity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Be VERY wary of pickpockets at the track and in town,with the large crowds and plenty of money about they are in their element.

Advertisement