Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales people in Cruises St

Options
  • 26-06-2007 1:57pm

Everytime I head down to Cruises St I get one of these guys in purple jumping at me. I never stop but I must look like a good target because they are forever coming up to me. I try to stay polite but they sometimes are quite pushy. I'm curious as to what they want though. Has anyone ever bothered to stop and do whatever it is they want? That way I can say the next time that I already did it.

I want to punch them sometimes though...the last time I was walking along and one jumped out at me and exclaimed "hello Sunshine!" or yesterday I said "sorry I cant stop" and the twat in question started patting me on the back....just **** Off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Chuggers one of the worlds plague. Hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

i don't even bother talking to them. there's nothing i have to excuse for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Wow... a lot of agression! Ha.. am... They usually have what they are out on the street for writen on what they are wearing! The Thomas Street/Bedford Row/ O'Connell Street Corner is also constantly occupied by some group now too.

The reason they are being so 'pushy' and saying stuff like sunshine and stuff is because people can be right assholes when your out trying to do some good, they are most likely just trying to express positive energy. If you wrent positive and outgoing like that you'd probably go mad.

I have never gone out like that, but i have done a few sponsorship things, where i went door to door to raise funds for charity, and you cannot believe but people will either treat you as a crook or some kind of immoral being. Last time i did it some of the responses i got from the doors were so off-putting i was upset for days afterwards. People get punished all too much for trying to do good in this country.

Oh, but i once saw a childline girl actually follow a guy while he quickly walked away, he even shrugged him off her once or twice - he walked quickly and all but she just kept at him until she just had to head back to crusis street. That kind of thing really is overkill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The only time the chuggers on cruises street get the hint is when you start swinging for them. They just don't understand that all the "look at me I'm on drugs" type energy they have really pisses people off. 2 weeks ago I got stopped by one who would not let me leave until he'd finished talking. I made one last peaceful attempt to walk away and he put his arm across my chest to stop me. I had no other choice but to physically remove him from my path with a headbutt.

I don't usually resort to violence but I have no tolerance for chuggers, no matter what charity they are collecting for.

The Thomas Street/Bedford Row/ O'Connell Street Corner is also constantly occupied by some group now too.

That's what gets me most, the fact they are constantly there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The reason they are being so 'pushy' and saying stuff like sunshine and stuff is because people can be right assholes when your out trying to do some good, they are most likely just trying to express positive energy. If you wrent positive and outgoing like that you'd probably go mad.

Ah, the poor poor chuggers! I bet there were caught in front of their homes, kidnapped and now they are forced by the charity mafia to do those jobs.

If they want to express positive energy they can do this at home - but not annoying innocent passers-by...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are flogging "Bernardos" today. I work near Cruises St. and hardly a day passes without me being harrassed by these people. It's annoying frankly.

Charities are by and large a good thing to support, but I'll make my own donations in a time and place of my choosing thanks all the same.

p.s. Costs of these fundraisers must be very high presumably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

lol, headbutting one.

I never get stopped by them but if you think its bad in limerick you should see them in dublin. They actually start swinging out of you lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sunn wrote:
    lol, headbutting one.

I never get stopped by them but if you think its bad in limerick you should see them in dublin. They actually start swinging out of you lol

In Dublin they have a phenomenal amount of chuggers. I used to live in Ranelagh and work in Rathmines and one morning on my 15 minute walk to work. (Think walking for 15 minutes between Raheen and Dooradoyle) I was asked for cash or dd 13 times.

The big irony of it all is that I am a charity worker and was heading to my job at Oxfam at the time.

p.s. Costs of these fundraisers must be very high presumably?

Not really... these people are generally out there for free volunteering their time to help raise these funds for the charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

A mate of mine got a Cruises Street T-Shirt made up. The front said "I DONT BELIEVE IN CHARITY" and on the back "I ALREADY HAVE A GOD".

Thus detering that religous crowd as well

sioda wrote:
    A mate of mine got a Cruises Street T-Shirt made up. The front said "I DONT BELIEVE IN CHARITY" and on the back "I ALREADY HAVE A GOD".
    Thus detering that religous crowd as well

Excellent! haha...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How about a t-shirt that says....

"Charity begins at home......how about ME pestering YOU for money ?" :D

Before today I had never heard the word "chuggers" before....done a quick search and have seen posts as far back as 2005 (for Dublin). Aren't sales people just all scum though? Whether its charity, telesales, anything involving sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I remember being asked by a young gal outside Cruises Hotel (some years ago :p ) if I minded answering some Market research questions .....

so we talked away for a few minutes ....

then she asked if i wanted to go into the Hotel and test some samples .... :rolleyes:

that would be very nice I said .... ;)

she said they had booked a suite in the Hotel so off we went .... :rolleyes:

low and behold a room with a bar and Barman .... :confused:

What do you normally drink she asked .... Smithwicks I replied ....

and a snap of her fingers and up came a Pint of Smithwicks ..... :)

now could you try this drink she asked ....:confused:

O-Key-Doke I replied ....

snap of the fingers and up came a pint of Guiness ....

now would you like to taste another type of Guiness she asked .....

if you insist I replied ...... :)

snap of the fingers and up came a pint of New Guiness .....

well .... she asked ..... :confused:

Very nice I said but could I try another Smithwicks just to see the difference ....

of course she said and snap snap and up came a pint .....

now she said if we could just complete the questions ..... what do you do? ....

ooooooohhhhhh .... she replied .... you don't qualify for the questionaire .... :( .......

I'll have to leave you to finish your pint and go find another guy ....

O-Key-Doke and so I did and went home ..... :p

ps. was it Guiness Light???? .....:confused:

I thought she was soliciting you for sex :(

So did I but then the Barman turned up ...... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Not really... these people are generally out there for free volunteering their time to help raise these funds for the charities.

No - alot of them get commission from what they collect. They're not there out of the kindness of their hearts. Maybe that's why their so enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I was told by a work colleague last year that these people are NOT allowed to approach you. they can shout as much as they like about what they're collecting for, and you may approach them to contribute of you wish. I had a row with one of them to that effect the following day IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A friend of mine was given a box of (out of date) condoms by some chinese woman promoting safe sex on crusies street a while back............LOL!

• Advertisement

When we were kids(as in 5 or 6) in a holiday house, we found a couple of packs of you know whats ..... :rolleyes:

we blew them up like baloons and hung them up around the house..... :)

Mother returned and started rounding them up pronto .... :o

but Mata, what are they for ....

they are for 'Fixing things' was the reply ..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

This is an incident i experienced recently:

Friday 22nd June:

Charity Worker: *puts out hand* hi im sally! and u are?
    Me: *shakes hand* hi im james
    CW: so what age are you james? over 18?
    Me: no im only 16
    CW: and when will you be 18?
    Me: *says sarcastically* two years if my memory serves me correctly
    CW: *begins to get excited* ok come back to me when you're 18
    Me: *says in not bothered voice* am...yeah...i will *begins to walk away*
    CW: *begins to roar* I WILL BE RIGHT HERE. ON THIS SPOT. I WONT MOVE *gets louder as i walk further away* IM STILL HERE! WAITING FOR YOU!!! ILL BE HERE I WONT MOVE FROM THIS SPOT. ILL BE HERE IN TWO YEARS WAITING FOR YOU

As if that wasn't bad enough

Monday 25th June:

Me: *Walks on other side of street*
    CW: *roars across street* JAMES!!!! IM STILL HERE! WAITING!!
    Me: *gives nervous smile and continues to walk quickly

I think this is completely uncalled for...how the hell did she remember me?
    it was really weird cos she was in the exact same spot aswell, right outside Carl Scarpa

Carl Scarpa? Where's that? lol you're being stalked by a chugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Carl Scarpa...I remember it used to be where Meteor is now from being dragged in there from a young age...I believe it is now at the further end of the same block on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

ninty9er wrote:
    Carl Scarpa...I remember it used to be where Meteor is now from being dragged in there from a young age...I believe it is now at the further end of the same block on O'Connell St.

Where Gaywear used to be!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not making it up, that was the name of the womens clothing shop - isn't that quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

iguana wrote:
    In Dublin they have a phenomenal amount of chuggers. I used to live in Ranelagh and work in Rathmines and one morning on my 15 minute walk to work. (Think walking for 15 minutes between Raheen and Dooradoyle) I was asked for cash or dd 13 times.

The big irony of it all is that I am a charity worker and was heading to my job at Oxfam at the time.
    totally off the point but id like to see anyone walk from raheen to dooradoyle in 15 mins)
    once walked from childers road to the cresent and it took me 45mins

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

1huge1 wrote:
    totally off the point but id like to see anyone walk from raheen to dooradoyle in 15 mins)
    once walked from childers road to the cresent and it took me 45mins

I meant it as walking for 15 minutes between the two, which is very possible. My aunt lives in Raheen, but is only 15 minutes walk to the Cresent which is in Dooradoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I think it was last week at one stage and i had an unfortunate incident with one girl from ´Barnados´.

Anyway she asks me if im 18 and i tell her that i am. Anyway she goes on to tell me about all the little children who are beaten by their parents yada yada yada, now i was in a good mood today and i wanted to give a donation. However she wanted me to give her my bank details so they could take money out of my account every week or something like that. Now i had no intention to give her my bank details so i said i couldnt remember them! She asked me if i had my atm card(which i did) i said no. She then says ¨jeez noone has their atm cards today¨ and here i was thinking¨suprise suprise!¨
    Now i asked her if i could give her money now or could i go on to the website and give a donation from there, she said i could but it would be better to give her my details cos they want to know how much they are getting every month. Now i told her i was going and that i would do something on the website, she then decided to give me a guilt trip about how what if there was a little battered and bruised boy standing here beside her, she then decided to follow me as i was walking down o connell street! She wanted to see if i was going to turn into the bank.......thankfully she fcuked off eventually.....

How do they expect people to give out tehir account details to random strangers....muppets

GAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

This is an incident i experienced recently:

Friday 22nd June:

Charity Worker: *puts out hand* hi im sally! and u are?
    Me: *shakes hand* hi im james
    CW: so what age are you james? over 18?
    Me: no im only 16
    CW: and when will you be 18?
    Me: *says sarcastically* two years if my memory serves me correctly
    CW: *begins to get excited* ok come back to me when you're 18
    Me: *says in not bothered voice* am...yeah...i will *begins to walk away*
    CW: *begins to roar* I WILL BE RIGHT HERE. ON THIS SPOT. I WONT MOVE *gets louder as i walk further away* IM STILL HERE! WAITING FOR YOU!!! ILL BE HERE I WONT MOVE FROM THIS SPOT. ILL BE HERE IN TWO YEARS WAITING FOR YOU

As if that wasn't bad enough

Monday 25th June:

Me: *Walks on other side of street*
    CW: *roars across street* JAMES!!!! IM STILL HERE! WAITING!!
    Me: *gives nervous smile and continues to walk quickly

v. funny read that. lol.

• Advertisement

I've decided after some experience to simply say ..... 'Thank you very much'

and keep on walking ..... :p

Advertisement