Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales people in Cruises St

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ask them for a loan to pay for the charity

start foaming from the mouth

start rubbing yourself in private places

Usually works for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

yayamark wrote:
    ask them for a loan to pay for the charity

start foaming from the mouth

start rubbing yourself in private places

Usually works for me :)

That would definitely get me running in the opposite direction .... :p

I don't know about you guys but I found Cruises st a nightmare BEFORE the influx of chuggers. Now its a real avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

iguana wrote:
    I meant it as walking for 15 minutes between the two, which is very possible. My aunt lives in Raheen, but is only 15 minutes walk to the Cresent which is in Dooradoyle.
    ok ok Im after getting completly mixed up between dooradoyle and castletroy
    I meant it took castletroy to raheen
    completly disregard my post
    sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I spent 5 weeks working as a chugger in Galway city. I got 30% commission on every lottery ticket I sold. This was my only source of income, I made about 50 bucks a day on average.

Here is some information about what it is:

1. The people selling these tickets usually earn 30% commission. They are obliged to carry a copy of a license. Ask to see their license every time. If they do not have a copy, or it is not in date, alert the nearest Garda, generally, the cops are as bugged by these people as you and me are... but there's not a thing they can do about it. Ask what their commission is, check that this is less than the maximum specified on their license. Ask how much they raise for the charity in a day. Ask how many other people their boss is supplying with tickets? Do they think it's his primary source of income? Get them to figure out with you how much their boss is earning. Tell them that only an idiot should buy a ticket from them, since it is usually easy to make a donation to the same charity directly, without 40% going to cover 'expenses'

2. There are people using this license in a totally legit way... whose only motivation is to raise money for a charity they feel strongly about. I have given people the 3rd degree and felt guilty afterwards when I realised this was the case... Not all of them are as bad as I was!

3. Generally, you will find that the kids on the street are earning 30%, and the guy with the car boot full of batches of tickets is earning an unspecified amount - legally the total commission should be less than 40%, but that is very difficult to verify.

4. They do get money from well-meaning idiots which would otherwise end up being spent unwisely anyway.

5. When I was doing this job, it was rumoured that the guy we were getting the tickets from (supposed to be taking 10% or less) had bought these tickets from a private company in Dublin at auction. I don't know whether that is the case or not. He certainly had paid in advance for these tickets. The charity that is being represented has already been paid all the money they are going to get for these tickets... by buying one you are repaying the investment of the entrepreneur who has taken it upon himself to recruit kids to sell these on the street. None of your money goes to the charity (though it does enable the entrepreneur to buy another batch if he wishes... so it certainly benefits the charity, just indirectly)

6. The tickets I was selling were €3. A lot of people would give €5 and not look for change. If I kept the €2, I would have no knowledge of how to pass this on to the charity. If I passed it on to my boss I would have no way of finding out what he did with it. I insisted every time that I would not accept any more than the face value of the ticket. At the end of the day I would discuss the days work with the other kids doing the same job as me... almost all the rest of them would always keep that €2 in their own pocket! Many of them referred to that as ... wait for it... "TIPS"!!! They did not seem to understand what was wrong with that... The only interest they had in the particular charity they represented was that the charity was a means for them to earn money for themselves.

7. If you bought a lottery ticket from a tall vociferous, persistant guy in Galway in the Summer of 2002, in aid of "The Hanley Centre" in Dublin, then I thank you for helping with my rent that Summer. I urge you now to pick out a charity that you like, and give them as much money as you can spare. Give this money to them through as direct a route as you can. Ideally, lodge the money in their bank account yourself.

• Advertisement

There's a guy down there today, at the corner of Thomas St and O'Connell St, wearing a very silly hat and having a torrid time.

I stood across the road watching and he was offering his hand to loads of people and approaching them and simply getting ignored ad nausem. What a ****ing horrible job...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

i saw a lad playing the accordion there at about 2pm didnt see any chugger.

Meant to walk on to cruisers st and forget doh! :rolleyes:

I walked up the street this morning ..... it's a bit of an obstacle course that's for sure .... :rolleyes:

A guy in front of me was asked ......

Hi I'm barbara ...... :)

no answer ..... :(

are you from Russia? ..... :confused:

no I'm $$$$$$ not, came the reply in a deep Limerick accent ..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭adaminho

There's a guy down there today, at the corner of Thomas St and O'Connell St, wearing a very silly hat and having a torrid time.

I stood across the road watching and he was offering his hand to loads of people and approaching them and simply getting ignored ad nausem. What a ****ing horrible job...
    He was still there at 9.10 lastnight and still getting ignored! I was heading from Thomas street to the bank and he came up to me. I told him I was busy so he said "I'll Just sign you up quickly" so I told him no he Fupping wouldn't!:D

There's no doubt about it ...some of these guys and gals have a real cheek ....... :rolleyes:

I wonder if they go through a special training course on selling .... :confused:

(run by the K G Beeeeeeeeee ........)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davemc06

Happened to me before a chugger was asking for money, I was going into Arthurs Key into Tesco and only had a note, all the money I had.
    He asked for money. I simply told him I was "sorry don't have any chance, be back out the door in a few mins."
    As I was walking away he decided to shout at me " Oh no need to say sorry you did nothing at all. "
    So walked straight past him on the way out and there, he stood up and called me, I walked over the road and gave my change to another charity! He saw it too! Hahaha.
    I passed him many times that day just to laugh at him! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

boo-hoo if they dont want to annoy the piss out of people all day any number of places are hiring around town,usually a simple **** off gives them the right message

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I specifically said to one the other day. "I'm only buying the card because you didn't come up and hound me"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ you may of just created a new sales technique
    brillaint

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ninty9er wrote:
    I specifically said to one the other day. "I'm only buying the card because you didn't come up and hound me"

LOL nice one!

I'll keep that in mind the next time I am...................'hounded' LOL!

Advertisement