Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Email restrictions

• 26-06-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls,

This is just a quick query regarding people's email limits imposed on them at work .

Reason I am asking is that in my current job we have an email policy and I am just wondering where we stand with regards our policy compared to other peoples experience's.

Employees: 350
    MS Exchange 2003
    Sending and recieving max limit of 10Mb
    Mailbox limit of 150Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 300Mb.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Employees: 60 ish
    MS Exchange 2003
    Sending and recieving max limit of 100Mb
    Mailbox limit of N/A per user with denial of sending mail at <never>.

I was asked to clean up my mailbox at 1GB. I did.

Are you out in citywest perchance? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

It does seem slightly on the restrictive side from a users point of view, but from a sys admin position I'd say it's generous (the send/receive limit anyway).

Technically the 10MB limit makes more sense, you don't want employees sharing large files via email. It's counter-productive and leads to complete chaos... never mind the bandwidth issues in and out of the company itself, additional resources for A/V, spam pre & post-processing, storage etc etc.

The mailbox limit does seem strange though, as you're using 2003 the legacy 2GB limit shouldn't apply. The reason is most likely down to storage costs and backup issues.. the more storage you have the more costly (time/equipment) the backup plan will be.

The main problem will occur when users reach their limit, and are basically given the choice to:
    a) archive - Which means the IT team are effectively relinqueshing control of the mail system (centralised storage) to the user's workstation.
    b) delete - Which can cause major headaches at various management levels within the business. Especially financial and sales divisions where records need to be kept (and in some cases are legal requirements).

If you're concerned about it just put realistic requirements together (relating to a business and not personal use), and let the IT team know. Either they're inept or have no funding... if its the latter, a few strong words to a CEO about the consequences can easily sort the problem out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Kali summed it up for me

Employees: 1250 (Incl Volunteers)
    MS Exchange 2007
    Mailbox limit of 750Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 1024Mb.

All our mail is stored on Mail Server, Mem is cheap these days so we beefed it up a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

thanks guys,

Kali, our users are directed (via training videos, documentation etc) to archive to a network share which only they have access to and this is on a SAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Kali, our users are directed (via training videos, documentation etc) to archive to a network share which only they have access to and this is on a SAN

Excellent... it's amazing the number of PSTs that find their way onto USB disks/DVDs etc. which obviously is not quite ideal for corporate security.

I actually forgot to mention what you asked for tho ;)

Exchange 2003...
    Users: 10000+
    Mail size limit: 12MB (internal & external).
    Mailbox warning: 150MB, hard-limit at 300MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Exchange 2003
    5000+ users
    no limit on attachement sizes
    100MB warning, unable to send at 125MB
    I have 3 pst with over 1.5GB of data.

We have to archive emails reguarly and delete any unnecessary emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

exchange 2003
    roughly 50 users
    15mb limit on attachments
    no limit on mailbox sizes, although when we were migrating from exchange 5 a few users had to clear a couple of gigs out of their mailboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Mixture of Lotus Domino, Exchange, Host and generic POP3
    12000 + Users (global)
    5 Mb limit on attachments for Exchange users - 10 Mb limit for all others.
    50 Mb hard limit on mailfiles - up to 200 Mb limit in "exceptional cases"
    Once you go past 50 Mb, unable to send new mails.

Web-based mail is blocked (Gmail, Hotmail etc.) and USB attached storage is also restricted.
    We can't order CD or DVD writers, and IT Security open a can of whoop-ass if they find burners, or even burner software on the workstations/laptops.

We have 2 Spam engines from different vendors and 2 AV engines from different vendors run against all inbound & outbound mail, and we also have a 'black list' of forbidden words.

Seems quite restrictive now that I look at the other posts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Jesus man, where do you work? Give us a hint if you can't say

ongarite wrote:
    Jesus man, where do you work? Give us a hint if you can't say
    think of the biggest financial organisation you know ... we're bigger ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Employees: 350
    MS Exchange 2003
    Mailbox limit of 150Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 300Mb.

Employees: 250
    MS Exchange 2003
    Mailbox limit of 10Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 10Mb.

That's right, 10 megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Employees: 2000+
    MS Exchange 2007
    Sending and recieving max limit of 5Mb
    Mailbox limit of 450Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 500Mb.

Byt we have unlimited archives of old emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Employees: 100
    MS Exchange 2000
    Mailbox limit of 150Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 300Mb (if anybody asks, we just double these storage limits - not a problem).

Email archiving system in place to auto archive read emails to an archiving server 90 days after being read. No PST files locally on PCs or on network (denied by policy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

scojones wrote:
    Mailbox limit of 10Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 10Mb.

That's right, 10 megs.

WTF?

Stupid. Just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thats what you get when you work for dell !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

trout wrote:
    think of the biggest financial organisation you know ... we're bigger

Unless you work for the same company as me... who are bigger again...

I only deal with exchange though so cant comment on the others we use but 10 mb sending or recieving, mailbox limit of..... no limit. God I hate that policy, We have users with an average of 8Gb of mail... The top I saw the other day was 16GB?? And we even have an archiving system in place that archives off all mails after 3 months!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Interesting thread. Not my area but I think its along the following. We have 2000+ users. 2mb limit on incoming and outgoing mail. Everything bigger get caught and needs a formal request to be released and only if its work related. 50mb mailbox per user but after a certain time everything gets archived which the users can retrieve themselves. Most users aren't savvy enough to have PSTs but theres no limit on those. PST are a security issue though, so its not something that encouraged. Most people are encouraged to use webmail for personal mail, which is another security issue IMO. All mail is filtered though and it seems to be hugely resource intensive job to constantly juggle the filters and release email.

I worked for a while in another huge company, 2000+ users that had no email storage policy. Everything was stored in local PST's never backed up and it wouldn't be unusual to find senior managers with 10yrs or more of important email in unbackedup PST's. Perhaps as many as 50 different PST's and many GB's. We did a migration project once and it was nightmare, you had to track down all these PST's which were often duplicated many times on the users machines. Surprisingly enough only one user I was aware off lost his email. 8 yrs worth of email when his HD failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Archytas wrote:
    Unless you work for the same company as me... who are bigger again...

I only deal with exchange though so cant comment on the others we use but 10 mb sending or recieving, mailbox limit of..... no limit. God I hate that policy, We have users with an average of 8Gb of mail... The top I saw the other day was 16GB?? And we even have an archiving system in place that archives off all mails after 3 months!!

Gizza job!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ours is pretty similar to everyone else's except we use Lotus Domino exclusively

Employees: 100
    Lotus Domino
    Sending max limit of 15Mb
    Receiving no limit
    Mailbox limit of 300Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 350Mb (Although the VIP's have no limit, I think one of them is up to 3GB at this stage)

Not sure if anyone has heard of but we also use MIMEsweeper to regulate incoming and outgoing mail. Basically if you want to send an email with an attachment it gets stopped regardless and then you have to request it to be released with appropriate business justification. Its kind of annoying to be dealing with requests throughout th day to release emails :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

trout wrote:
    and USB attached storage is also restricted.

I always seen this as the biggest waste of time ever, why do they do this?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    I always seen this as the biggest waste of time ever, why do they do this?
    IT Security people get a nosebleed at the thoughts of users wandering out of the building with potentially sensitive data being carted about on USB keys or iPods etc. etc.

Imagine the impact on business if personal details of our customers ended up on a USB key which got left behind in a taxi or some other public place. I suppose it really depends on the business you are in, and how sensitive the data you have access to is. I'm sure if you are in the Finance or Banking areas, there are all kinds of rules and regulations about controlling and auditing access to customer data.

If you have a restrictive policy in place, and people by-pass it, at least the IT Security people can say "oooh ... breach of policy there" rather than say "we don't know who can access the organisations data, or bring it off the LAN ... cos we are numptys!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

trout wrote:
    If you have a restrictive policy in place, and people by-pass it, at least the IT Security people can say "oooh ... breach of policy there" rather than say "we don't know who can access the organisations data, or bring it off the LAN ... cos we are numptys!" :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha ha ha hilarious!

Viruses... viruses... If nothing else its stops me having to run a virus scan on every PC that gets a virus alert after a USB key has been plugged into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

OP .. ask your admins to investigate exchange archiving products .. these can put mail into SQL and replicated file stores which are easier to admin than edbs (EAS by Zantaz or KVS )

Gets rid of mailbox size limits - brick level restores are also easy.

Amazed at the no. of companies using 2007 already .. SP1 is only out a month I think, so unless you guys have only just adopted .. you were using the RTM :eek:

Whats the CCR and LCR like to setup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

We only have @20 users at the minute, but we use Softalk IMAP WorkgroupMail and WorkgroupShare here. They're okay to use and there's a good amount of functionality plus it's pretty cheap - cost =<€600 for 25 user license.

Anyways, we don't accept mails bigger than 15MB, we quarantine all .avi .bmp .exe .jpeg or .wmv attachments so people have to come ask if they want something released. Same goes for profanities too. Basically no fun.

I Could never figure out the setting for putting a cap on sending size limits and spent about a week running around beating it into peoples heads that sending 65MB mails is not cool. We don't have a limit on peoples accounts as there's a public client folder system where everyone drags their mails into.

Workgroupmail has an internal archiving system which is great but the problem is the system is expanding into a much bigger system than we originally expected. With this setup there's always at least two copies of each mail stored. Workgroupmail is set up on Jet here, apparently if we had set it up on SQL originally, we wouldn't be having this size problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Employees: 70k +
    MS Exchange 2003
    Mailbox limit of 45Mb per user with denial of sending mail at 50Mb.
    (those aren't typo's)

almost all mail that any one ever receives is stored offline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Employees: 5000+
    Microsoft Outlook
    Sending max limit of 15Mb
    Receiving no limit
    Mailbox limit of 120MB-Once passed user cannot send emails but can continue to receive emails.
    PST folders are encouraged for this reason.

Advertisement