Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car - suggestions >25k

Options
  • 26-06-2007 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I've been driving for years now, but still know little or nothing about cars.

Basically, I want to get a new car. Currently I have a 2002 Nissan Almera which will be paid off in a few months. I have to say it is a very good car that has caused me no bother whatsoever. I always get a new car after the five year financing is up.

Could anybody recommend a car in the same class - maximum cost of car will be 25k - the less the better. My considerations are, in order...

- Effiiciency. As stated, I know practically nothing about cars and need something reliable and low maintenance
    - Safety - have a couple of kids.
    - Fuel efficient
    - good Boot space - for the shopping, holidays etc
    - looks - not a huge consideration once it's not ugly. Preferably saloon, but would consider a hatchback.

Thanks, anything to steer me along the right lines would be great. Cars I've looked at online are the new Ford Mondeo, the new Nissan Tiida, Opel Astra - had one before though and wasn't mad on it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Octavia :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 baddabing

If you are not in the trap of brand image and are looking for a reliable, fuel efficient, safe and practical motor, there are plenty for you to choose from.

Something like a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Ambiente would suffice.

German quality, same engine/frame etc as VW passat and Audi A4.
    Diesel will give you circa 550-600 miles on a full tank of diesel.
    Solid and safe as houses for the kids

There are others but as I said don't let brand deter you, as time goes on more and more cars are being built on the same frames/engines etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€25K will get you a basic new model Ford Mondeo 1.6 LX. The Mondeo is a big car so a 1.6 litre is going to struggle to move that big body around, this will impact both performance and economy. Also LX trim is pretty basic. Unless you really need the extra space I would avoid the 1.6 LX Mondeo. However with upto €25k you could get yourself a good spec 1.6 litre Ford Focus saloon either with the Zetec or Ghia trim which have lots of toys. A bit smaller than the new Mondeo but still roomier than your current Almera.

Personally I don't like the looks of the new Nissan Tiida but looks are subjective and it seems well equipped for the money. Too early really to know what they are like.

Others out there are the Toyota Auris (hatchback) or Corolla (saloon), both come with plenty of safety kit, are available with 1.4 litre economical engines and a 3 year warranty.

Another one worth looking at is the VW Jetta, nothing more than a Golf with a boot but they are pretty expensive and the 1.6 litre 8 valve engine is well past it's sell by date imo.

Outsiders but well worth checking out anyway is the Skoda Octavia which while it is a hatchback it has a huge boot, reasonably priced and is well equipped. Another one is the Kia Cee'd, it comes with a 7 year warranty which is handy if your keeping the car for 5 years or so. Only available as a hatchback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Octavia :rolleyes:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to recommend one of these :p
    I think there was a rant about the Motors Board recently that all's people do on this board is moan about various things & recommend the Skoda Octavia !!!

Thought the Octavia was based on a VW Golf, not Passat platform?

They are a good car though. I know you want new but what about considering a car a year old with less than 15,000 km? It's still nearly new, you miss the initial depreciation,
    there is still warranty on the car & you get a better spec car or higher model.

Go to a site like carzone, go to the advanced options & filter on your specs,
    e.g.
    - Engine size 1.6L
    - Oldest 2006
    - Max amount €25k (put a min in too or you will get everthing from €10 upwards!)
    - Sort Price High to Low

Here's one I prepared earlier:

It might help you consider options that you never thought of or thought that you would be able to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Thanks a lot guys, some great advice there.
    I'm not at all concerned about brand, just looking for the best value in the class.

I'm going to look into the Octavia - wouldn't have considered that as I haven't really heard much about them.

I think i've ruled out the bottom of the range Ford Mondeo - just read a review which pretty much backed up what Bazz26 was saying about it being a very heavy car.

Thanks for that rebel.ranter - am always dubious about buying second hand as I don't want to make a mistake and get something that needs work. Why would so many people be selling cars after only one year ?

Thanks again, and further advice welcome also..

• Advertisement

Just looking at that Kia C'eed that Bazz26 recommended.. actually looks decent, although more research is required...

Anyone know anything about it - who the hell are KIA ???

http://www.rte.ie/motors/2006/1204/kiaceed.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

KIA ceed are tiny... well small!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Money Shot wrote:

Thanks for that rebel.ranter - am always dubious about buying second hand as I don't want to make a mistake and get something that needs work. Why would so many people be selling cars after only one year ?

There are loads of reasons:

- ex-rental car
    - ex-demo car
    - Original owner could not meet the finance payments
    - Lease agreement terminated early, ( I have seen this happen here in work)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got a new Honda Civic five door hatch last week and am delighted with it. Its a 1.8 i-VTEC petrol - 140bhp but more economical than my old 1.6 litre ~105bhp Hyundai. A 1.4 is available too but is a bit weak. It'd be fine around town, and is very economical but I wouldn't like it on motorways/primary roads.

The boot is huge (biggest in its class apparently), and the car comfortably seats four adults. Rear seats fold flat for big loads, and can be flipped up like cinema seats for cramming big stuff into the back. Rear door handles are hidden in the window surrounds, Alfa style so it looks like a 3 door.
    I got mine in ES spec so it has plenty of toys, including a panoramic glass roof and dual-zone climate control. 6-speed gearbox is standard. Comes with 3 years warranty and roadside assistance.
    The Civic is also available in saloon form with both normal petrol and hybrid engines. Stupidly, no diesel model is available in Ireland, while the UK and mainland europe gets the lovely 2.2 iCTDI engine from the Accord.

Honda's reputation for reliability is right up there with Toyota. I can't remember the NCAP results for the civic off-hand but I recall it being very good.

Bear in mind that if you get a base spec one it will probably be very spartan indeed.

Also, Kia are Hyundai's cheapo brand. Sounds funny, I know. The main thing that Kia Ceed has going for it is a 7 year warranty.

Stephen wrote:
    I got a new Honda Civic five door hatch last week and am delighted with it. Its a 1.8 i-VTEC petrol - 140bhp but more economical than my old 1.6 litre ~105bhp Hyundai. A 1.4 is available too but is a bit weak. It'd be fine around town, and is very economical but I wouldn't like it on motorways/primary roads.

Can I ask how much you paid for it ?

The big boot would be good, and if the Cee'd is that small I can rule it out.

• Advertisement

RRP for the 1.8 in ES spec with metallic paint is €27,800. I paid €15k + my 5 year old, slightly battered Hyundai Coupe 1.6 with 69500 miles.

I think the RRP for a 1.4 is about €24k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would suggest a slightly used car rather than a new one too, theres a good saving to be had by buying one with small milage thats been looked after, try not to buy ex-rentals though, i know how i drive rentals and have seen how others do, not good.

As for the car itself - the C'eed is getting fairly good reviews and I think the Auris 1.4td will be a belter for economy and reliability + resale.

if your looking for something a bit more up market then an 06 A3 a newer golf or the focus TD is probably the drivers choice.

All of these should come in at 25k or less.

RobAMerc wrote:
    if your looking for something a bit more up market then an 06 A3 a newer golf or the focus TD is probably the drivers choice.

All of these should come in at 25k or less.

Would a Golf not be a bit small for a family car though. Will need a decent boot and decent room in the back.

I've never had a hatchback - are they smaller than a saloon or does it depend on the model ?

Have you considered a saloon-shape car with a hatchback boot? Best of both worlds.

No - didn't know they existed. What would be an example of that ?

What are the advantages of Hatchback over saloon or vice versa ?

sorry for all the questions - never really gave these things much thought before now - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

New Passat. best in class. A4 quality interior and chassis. Looks great also. New shape so residuals should be OK. Pick up a demo if possible. Might have to stretch the budget a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Stephen wrote:
    Also, Kia are Hyundai's cheapo brand. Sounds funny, I know. .

If thats the case it will be a sure winner so just like the octavia :D

.....sorry couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Go for an Octavia 1.9 TDI
    or Toyota avensis... apparently theyre the best built cars in the world

Money Shot wrote:
    No - didn't know they existed. What would be an example of that ?

What are the advantages of Hatchback over saloon or vice versa ?

The old model ford mondeo came in both regular saloon and hatchback saloon versions. I think the new one does too. I think the current model laguna is hatchback-only also. Hatchback basically allows you to put bigger stuff in your boot because the aperture when its open is massive compared to the space you'd have to cram things through in a non-hatchback.

i.e. the boot opens from the top of the window frame, not the bottom.

Stephen wrote:
    Hatchback basically allows you to put bigger stuff in your boot because the aperture when its open is massive compared to the space you'd have to cram things through in a non-hatchback.

i.e. the boot opens from the top of the window frame, not the bottom.

That's great - thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Done a bit of research on the Net last night - so many options to consider.
    Of the ones not mentioned so far, the Mazda 6 stood out.

Anybody any opinions on the Mazda 6, or Mazda's in general
    thanks

I always liked the look of them, but have never been in one. I'd guess they share some bits with the Ford Mondeo, given Ford owns a large chunk of Mazda (possibly even all of it now?).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

onemanband wrote:
    New Passat. best in class. A4 quality interior and chassis. Looks great also. New shape so residuals should be OK. Pick up a demo if possible. Might have to stretch the budget a little.

Incorrect. Totally incorrect. Comparatively "Stone Age" engines (1.6 petrol and 1.9 TDI). Overpriced, and not too reliable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Mazda 6 shares it's chassis with the old model Mondeo and a lot of parts (but not the engine apparently). Spacious car, good to drive and rarely any problems with them. Wouldn't buy one now though as it is due for replacement next year to move it on to the new Mondeo chassis so residuals (which so far have been pretty good) will suffer.

Have you looked at the VW Jetta? Golf with a boot and more or less direct competition for the Octavia. Not selling well at all so rumour has it that VW are throwing discount at them so you may get a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would hold off from buying a new Mazda 6 as there is an all new model being launched early next year.

If your buying used the best model to get is the Sport Touring which is very well kitted out. Much improved interior from mid 2005. 2.0 litre Turbo Diesel is the pick of the range imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Money Shot wrote:
    Would a Golf not be a bit small for a family car though. Will need a decent boot and decent room in the back.

Golf plus well worth a look as a family car. '07 for about 24k.

Advertisement