Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Benoit Discussion In Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

dont want 2 believe this but benoit is **** for doing what he did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Fozzy wrote:

Debate going on as to whether it's a "wrestling death" or not, I'd be inclined to say not. But if leads to reducing the use of steroids and painkillers in wrestling then that's a good thing. Really looks like this is going to be a story about drugs and steroids rather than what I think it really is

co-sign.........
    some very good points about how to "cleanup" the industry were brought up.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

theres no excuse for what Chris done but he must have been very sick

i feel so sorry for the extended family

poor poor man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

1Wrestling.com:

Authorities conducted a press conference this afternoon regarding the deaths of Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit. Here are highlights from the press conference:

Authorities have ruled the deaths were a result of a murder suicide.

Test results indicate that Chris Benoit killed his wife Nancy "sometime on Friday" and his son Daniel "sometime on Saturday". Test results show that Chris Benoit killed himself sometime "later on Saturday".

A bible was found placed next to the bodies of Nancy and Daniel.

Nancy was found in a family room upstairs. Daniel was found in his bed.

Chris was found hanging in the weight room in the basement.

Authorities found "a lot" of prescription drugs at the scene, including anabolic steroids.

Authorities are aware of only one prior arrest for Chris Benoit, for DUI.

Scott Ballard, the District Attorney handling the case, said he termed the killings "bizarre" because of the timing of the deaths and that he remained in the house for some period of time after killing Nancy and Daniel.

Ballard said, "I'm baffled why anybody would kill a 7 year old baby.

Nancy was bound on her feet and wrists and wrapped in a towel.

This is getting stranger all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dont want 2 believe this but benoit is **** for doing what he did

You had to say it twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

J.R's blog will be interesting if and when it's posted here, it'll sorta be the first (unofficial) press release from the WWE since finding out the disturbing circumstances of the Benoit tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Alvarez will be back on www.hardcoresportsradio.com at 9:35 to talk about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

It is a very delicate and messed up situation in fairness......I feel the same way bout this from what i've heard.

I only hope that Chris is someway recongised for his achievements in wrestling........

ec18 wrote:
    I only hope that Chris is someway recongised for his achievements in wrestling........

Exactly.........
    With the way things are now not even the WWE seem like they want to be associated with him.This has made me wonder if he will even be inducted into the hall of fame at some stage?
    If it is to happen it won't be as soon as Eddie was inducted.WWE will want this dark cloud to be long gone before they make such a move

I can't see him ever being inducted unfortunately. It would lead to too much bad publicity for them, celebrating the work of a murderer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Im in total shock.

Obviously their was something mentally wrong with benoit. He should be remembered for the wrestler he was and person he was. Whatever was going on inside his head when this happened he wasnt himself.

All of this is terrible.Fair play to Vince mcMahon came across well on the raw show and was only right to cancel the storyline.

They're talking about it now on http://www.hardcoresportsradio.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Nah, you may forget about Benoit being remembered for his wrestling ability, from now in its going to be Chris Benoit - Family Murderer.

It's a shame.

joe123 wrote:

Obviously their was something mentally wrong with benoit.

We never will know what caused him to do it but it sure as hell wasn't the same Chris Benoit that I met and spoke to just over 7 months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Still cant believe he did it, he must have been menatlly unbalanced to cold bloodedly murder both his wife and 7 year old child, i remember thinking it was odd when i heard he wasnt going to be at vengeance but thought like everyone else it was a family emergency

Chris benoit was a great wrestler and ring technician, but his legacy will always be as a murderer something that none of us should ever forgive or forget

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Its all to easy to vilifie someone without knowing all the facts - facts which would explain everything that lead up to these sad circumstances. Did he do it in cold blood? Did he do as a result of some kind of mental imbalance - no one knows, and no one will know until the truth is all uncovered.

I have already passed on my condolences to his remaining family.

Its difficult to put into word what I do want to express. Part of me wants to say, I am going to remember Benoit for what he did in the ring and for the way he entertained me every-time I saw him - for that is the character I knew.

And the other half wants to rebuke him for what he did.

But until all the facts are known, I think I will stick to the former.

Just a point to raise, on the radio show I'm listening to, they said that when the Canadian channel that usually airs Raw said they wouldn't be showing the replay this week, there was a big backlash from fans who thought it was the wrong decision and who wanted to see the tribute. The ratings for Raw last night in Canada were huge apparently though, but that was before the full news broke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

the highlight video at the start of RAW showed him hugging his wife, and the poor child dancing with delight in the ring.
    feel sorry for benoit all you want, he was a great wrestling entertainer, but also remember he is ( allegedly ) a double murderer, and a three hour tribute seems a bit much. comparing his deaths to owen / eddie is not appropriate.

Fozzy wrote:
    Just a point to raise, on the radio show I'm listening to, they said that when the Canadian channel that usually airs Raw said they wouldn't be showing the replay this week, there was a big backlash from fans who thought it was the wrong decision and who wanted to see the tribute. The ratings for Raw last night in Canada were huge apparently though, but that was before the full news broke
    exactly.I would argue that alot of them tuned in to see who the "suspect" in the McMahon storyline was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Benoit was a totally different person to the fans then he was to friends and family.I feel sorry for him as he had such a bad life.I kind of felt he was never the same after eddie died.Unfortunately he will pay dearly for killing his family.
    I believe he was so good a performer that he will get in the hall of fame someday but not in the next twenty years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Originally Posted by Fozzy

I wouldnt mind seeing it again anyway as I only seen a bit of it last night...probably wont happen now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

What do you said about this.

He was one of my fav wrestlers but the situation is sick. I still cant believe it. Shock is not the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think pulling Raw is the only appropriate thing to do.

http://www.hardcoresportsradio.com/ Fight network for 26 June 2006 with Ranallo and Alvarez can be re-listened to. I'd recommend it.

Or you can download it directly here: www.hardcoresportsradio.com/podcasts/640.mp3

Bret Hart reaction: http://video.canada.com/Video.aspx?23863&ch=global

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

You know what after watching the video about the situation on abc. No matter what he did with his life he killed a child that is just wrong and just sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

HBK wrote:
    aaah roysh....hmm........alot of reaction on american news sites to this and why the WWE would try to make money froma 3hour tibute to a 'murderer' ....this is a difficult situation.....

Given the fact that it was shown in an empty arena, the chances are they LOST money on it
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

After seeing bits of the press conference on sky sports news, I don't really know what to think......He is gonna be remembered for what he did, his career completely tarnished. When it's all over wrestling in general could be known in a bad light, especially if in later reports steroids or drugs were involved. No wonder WWE pulled the stuff from their site.

I'm just sad it all ended like this....

gm1984 wrote:

I don't think there is a right or wrong reaction in this. Ranallo was clearly emotional and I can't say i disagreed with anything he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

• Advertisement

More horrible information from 1wrestling.com:

In speaking with close friends and confidants of Chris Benoit contacted this afternoon, apparently there were some warning signs that something was wrong with Benoit.

Some of the information learned by 1Wrestling.com by colleagues and friends that did not want to be quoted:

"This wasn't roid rage, this was insanity. Roid rage doesn't last for 48 hours. There were signs that something was wrong. Stories have emerged that a year ago he became paranoid and believed he was being followed. He wouldn't let Nancy leave the house because he believed someone was out to get them."

“Chris hated religion. He didn't believe in it. I cannot comprehend him putting bibles by the bodies. I am shocked.”

In addition, 1Wrestling has learned that sources close to Nancy are reporting that she had a safety deposit box with evidence of past rages and that authorities should check the box if anything ever happened to her.

WWE going on the defense from wwe.com:

WWE® Shocked At Latest Developments In Benoit Tragedy, Concerned By
    Sensationalistic Reporting

STAMFORD, Conn., June 26, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned
    and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the
    double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his
    son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and
    speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the
    press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the
    District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating
    authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the
    media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and
    suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to
    be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death
    (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to
    Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current
    evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body.
    In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently
    administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested
    negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not
    rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not
    beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial
    periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son,
    again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by
    each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to
    suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts,
    especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that
    Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that
    they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by
    local authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

For all you people who hope he will get hall of fame, forget it, it is never going to happen.
    I am still in shock 12 hours on.
    I think WWE have done everything perfectly so far, they are in an incredibly tough spot and handled it well imo

Its only just beginning. Disassociating themselves with Benoit was the easy part.

The media are honing in on the company, hence the above statement by the WWE.

I think pulling Raw is the only appropriate thing to do.

http://www.hardcoresportsradio.com/ Fight network for 26 June 2006 with Ranallo and Alvarez can be re-listened to. I'd recommend it.

Or you can download it directly here: www.hardcoresportsradio.com/podcasts/640.mp3

Bret Hart reaction: http://video.canada.com/Video.aspx?23863&ch=global

thanks dude...listening to it live was great but wanted to listen to it again

http://www.hardcoresportsradio.com/podcasts/640.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ec18 wrote:
    It is a very delicate and messed up situation in fairness......I feel the same way bout this from what i've heard.

sadly it's not going to be that way.

steroids will be used as a scapegoat to stain professional wrestling. this seems to be more a case of a man who was mentally ill whose condition eventually detiorated to the point he became psychotic. if anything needs to be focused on it's mental health facilities and treatments. it might help another family avoid going through this. i appreciate the person who is ill has to be receptive to the idea too...
    if only he could have thought of those relatives he;d leave behind and how they'd be feeling but i guess that empathy is beyond someone in Benoit's state. how do those close to him recover from this. what a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

what did bret hart say on the situation? (dont have broadband) . Would be interested on his thoughts on this.

joe123 wrote:
    what did bret hart say on the situation?

Text only link here: http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/06/26/pf-4290834.html

That was before the full details came out though

joe123 wrote:
    what did bret hart say on the situation? (dont have broadband) . Would be interested on his thoughts on this.

Basically shocked like everybody else.

I just listened to Alvarez on figure four and it was really interesting. He'd been in contact with Benoit since his WCW days.

He in no way condoned what happened but he told some stories about Benoit and his experiences with him. Heres a recap:

- After Eddie died, he wrote in a journal everyday to Eddie.

- After Eddie died, he sent Alvarez a chair from the event at No Way Out where Eddie one title. I guess as a thank you for talking to him after Eddies's death or just as a simple act of kindness.

- He last spoke to Benoit before Wrestlemania. He wanted to know a place that made belts. Benoit kept talking about his admiration for Booker T and wanted to buy him a belt, replicating the WCW one.

More news from pwtorch:
    PWTorch can now report the content of the text message sent by Chris Benoit to Chavo Guerrero on Sunday morning. The message, according to our sources, said that the sliding glass doors to his house were open and the dogs had been fed. No one was quite sure what to make of it, but he wasn't reachable afterward for clarification.

Dave Meltzer on FOX news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amOuymnj-WY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Apparently Vince is going to apologise on ECW for doing a tribute to Benoit before WWE knew the details of this tragedy. I guess they want to distance themselves from him. Can't say I blame them.
    This story is getting a lot of mainstream coverage here in Canada, newspapers, radio, etc. All the radio reports I've heard have said that the murders are linked to Steroids. quality reporting or what?

A SD taping report from Figure 4 says that there are loads of Benoit signs at the show. I'm not so sure I'd bring one myself

SD
    Flair is wrestling Carlito, so they're not really paying any attention to brands

Video of Bret Hart talking about it today: http://video.canada.com/Global_VideoContentHTML.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i was a big chris benoit fan,one of the most gifted technical wrestlers of any generation but thats all over now.Any one saying let the facts come out needs their head checked,the authorities have said he murdered his son and wife,its simple.
    For his family and friends its not a black and white case but for us fans who only knew the wrestling character its different.He is a murderer who more than likely wont be ever in the hall of fame and more likely never to be talked of in wwe again.We cant let our respect for him as a talented wrestler cloud the fact of such a heinous act.

Does this steriod and mental affecting wrestlers issue need to be looked at more and soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I've been in shock since I heard about this. At first, I was in disbelief. Then that turned to horror as I heard the initial details. Benoit was far from my favorite wrestler, but I deeply respected him. Any student of the game (even a potential student such as myself) has to respect Benoit. I can't really describe my emotions as regards to him murdering his family, I guess disappointment would be he closest to what I'm feeling. I'm not going to judge Benoit and I don't think anyone else should either. That is purely for God (or Gods) to do. I think Benoit should be remembered for the wrestling, cos it won't be his mic skills, lol. Unfortunately, Benoit will be remembered as a murderer who, seemingly, went off the deep end. I think the media suggesting 'Roid rage' as a motive is jumping the gun, but what do ya expect, eh? I also don't see him making it into the HOF for a while (if ever).

Chris, as a wrestler, I respected you, as a human, I will not judge you, Rest in Peace.

The PWTorch brought up a point that was mentioned in one of the big tv stories on the case, that all the concussions Chris would have had during his career could have played a role. To me, that sounds like a far more likely cause than "roid rage". One of the big tv channels had Superstar Billy Graham on, and he took steroids to the point where his body has basically given out on him, but he said he never experienced "roid rage". I think that's something the media like to jump on, but the stress of not seeing your family, not getting enough sleep, being beat up and doing a lot of travelling always seems to me to be a bigger cause of any rage

But I would be inclined to side with WWE on their statement that this wasn't as a result of rage. It was deliberate, which would suggest some sort of insanity, which is why the concussions angle makes more sense to me

I'm just feeling more pity than anger about the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

I think this is the right thread:
    WWE Chairman Vince McMahon will apologize for the three-hour USA Network tribute to pro wrestler Chris Benoit that aired Monday night, sources said.

The WWE and USA Network have received complaints about the tribute, which was hastily produced after Mr. Benoit, his wife and their son were found dead in their Georgia home Monday afternoon.

Authorities said Tuesday that Mr. Benoit strangled his wife and suffocated his son, then took his own life. But WWE and network officials were unaware of the circumstances of Mr. Benoit’s death when the tribute was assembled, sources said.

The WWE canceled its regularly scheduled “Monday Night RAW” event on USA Network Monday night and aired the tribute in its place.

Mr. McMahon will address wrestling fans tonight on Sci Fi Channel’s live Extreme Championship Wrestling event. He also plans to address speculation that Mr. Benoit’s actions were the result of steroid use.

The WWE plans to resume its regular wrestling telecasts, which air on USA Network, Sci Fi Channel and the CW.

The DA on the case told ESPN that needle marks were found on Daniel's arm, which they believe are because he was given human growth hormone for being too small for his age. I find that very strange. That's the stuff William Regal said had "nothing good about it and anyone who tells you otherwise is a lying prick"

Story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2917133

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

What the texts said taking from wwe.com
    wwe.com

On Saturday, June 23, Chris Benoit was slated to appear at a WWE live event in Beaumont, Texas. That afternoon, Benoit contacted WWE to inform them that his wife and child were ill, and that he would not be able to attend the show.

WWE executives rebooked Benoit’s flight for the following morning, allowing Benoit to miss the Beaumont event making alternate arrangements for him to attend the pay-per-view event in Houston on Sunday.

WWE employees attempted to confirm with Benoit his travel plans but were unable to contact him.

Early Sunday morning, between 3:51 and 3:58 a.m., Benoit sent five text messages to co-workers:

Text Message 1 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
    “My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane, Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Text Message 2 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
    “The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open”

Text Message 3 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:54am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
    “My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
    Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Text Message 4 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:55am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
    “My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
    Fayetteville Georgia. 30215"

Text Message 5 to one co-worker (sent 6/24 at 3:58am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
    “My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Throughout the day on Sunday, WWE made numerous attempts to contact Benoit both at home and at local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 p.m., WWE officials were unable to establish contact with Chris Benoit.

At 12:30 p.m. on Monday, June 25, WWE officials were notified of the text messages sent to the co-workers the previous day. By 12:45 p.m., WWE had contacted Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office requesting they check on the Benoit family.

Fayetteville County Sheriffs office made contact with WWE at approximately 4:00 p.m. advising that they had entered the house of Chris Benoit and found three deceased bodies – an adult male, adult female and a male child. WWE was told that Benoit’s home was now considered a major crime scene.

The decision to cancel the live event scheduled in Corpus Christi that night was made between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. In keeping with company policy, and with limited knowledge regarding facts of the case, WWE choose to air a memorial dedicated to the career of Chris Benoit. As facts emerged surrounding the case, all tributes to Chris Benoit were removed both on-air and on WWE.com.

Video on wwe.com from McMahon concerning Benoit and Raw

Actually didnt blast Benoit over what has occured

Also timeline on wwe.com concerning Benoit

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/detailedbenoittimeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Jesus **** I can't believe people are trying to put this whole thing down to steroids. It's obvious that Chris had been through some very hard times at home, and with the death of friends. It's obvious that he just snapped for whatever reasons of his own.

To put this down to roids is simply ridiculous. I have NEVER found a single journal study that shows any connection between taking steroids and "roid rage". Whatever caused Chris to commit these horrible crimes, it wasn't the gear. That is simply looking for a scapegoat.

As for GH…..that can be prescribed by doctors etc as hormone therapy, it will be interesting to see if Daniel was on a script for it.

aye his son Daniel suffered from Fragile X syndrome (more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_X_syndrome)

"Canadian female Pam Winthrope told News 1130 in Canada that Chris Benoit's son had a genetic condition called Fragile X syndrome.

According to WebMD, "Fragile X Syndrome is a defect of the X chromosome which causes mild mental retardation. The disorder occurs more frequently and severely among males than females. This condition is the leading known familial cause of mental retardation in the United States. Language delays, behavioral problems, autism or autistic-like behavior (including poor eye contact and hand-flapping), enlarged external genitalia (macroorchidism), large or prominent ears, hyperactivity, delayed motor development and/or poor sensory skills are among the wide range of symptoms associated with this disorder."

Winthrope, whose son also suffers from the condition, told the Canadian news outlet that her husband reached out to Benoit five years ago in an attempt to increase awareness about Fragile X.

She told News 1130, "We talked to him because I was trying to set up a support group in BC and in Canada, we only have a couple of them. My husband was struggling when we got diagnosed with our son, and Chris was struggling with his. They talked for a few minutes and then he said he didn't want to be a public face for Fragile X, he just wanted to keep it really, really quiet."

Winthrope noted that the lack of support for those affected by the disorder can tear families apart. Nonetheless, "she couldn't believe the news that Benoit had taken his life along with his wife and 7-year-old son," wrote News 1130."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Over the last few years Chris has lost some very close friends and has been through the mill physically and emotionally. For whatever reason, he snapped over the weekend and ended the lives of the 2 most important people in his life, and then took his own.

We have no right to judge Chris as we dont know what happened on Sunday/Monday, and probably never will. Think of what it would take to end the life of your son and the woman you love.

Respect and remember the man that he was, the greatest technical wrestler of all time. RIP Chris and the Benoit family.

Advertisement