Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Benoit Discussion In Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

I'd bet money that the crossface will be Jimmy Rave's new finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

don't ban me for this i just thought it was interesting
    it is by Rev. Johnny Lee Clary

Did Kevin Sullivan Murder Chris Benoit and His Family?

By Johnny Angel

(Former Pro Wrestling Champion)

Now known as Rev. Johnny Lee Clary

World-Wide Evangelist

The tragic deaths of Chris Benoit and his wife Nancy and son Daniel have shocked the wrestling world. The police are calling it a double-murder-suicide, but is it really? Let’s look at some facts. It has been 10 years exactly since Nancy divorced Kevin Sullivan to marry Chris Benoit. In the 1980’s Sullivan, along with his then-wife Nancy, were running a gimmick in wrestling of how they were Satanists, and Nancy was known as “The Fallen Angel.” She later became known as “Woman.” The trouble with the Satanists gimmick was it was for real, and was not a work, or fake. In the 1990’s Kevin Sullivan was the booker for WCW, and he scripted his wife Nancy into having an affair with Chris Benoit who was a member of the Four Horsemen. This made for a good angle, except, the acting became reality as Chris and Nancy actually fell in love and Nancy divorced Sullivan to marry Benoit.

Benoit left the WCW to go to work for the WWE which was then known as the WWF. It is a fact that Sullivan threatened Benoit and told him he would kill him. Yes, that was 10 years ago, but Kevin Sullivan is no dummy. He is known for being a calculating, cold-hearted individual. Today, according to a source close to me, Kevin Sullivan is a high ranking member of the Satanic Church. The police need to consider the possibility that Sullivan carried out these gruesome murders in order to have his revenge, which is what Satanists live for. He could have entered the home, with an accomplice or accomplices and held the Benoit’s at gunpoint, Sullivan could have then bound up Nancy, and made Benoit and his son watch as he strangled the life out of her. Then the next day after making Benoit and his son spend the day in agony, murdered Benoit’s little boy because of his hatred for the offspring of Benoit and Nancy. Then he could have made Benoit wait an entire day before killing him to by hanging him in the basement.

By doing this, not only would Kevin Sullivan have lived out his Satanic Church creed with his lust for revenge, but he would have destroyed Chris Benoit’s reputation which is what has happened now as the wrestling world is attacking the memory of Chris Benoit remembering him as an insane baby killer and wife killer instead of the great World Champion wrestler and friend that he was.

Satanists hate the Bible and the police have stated that a Bible was found next to the bodies of Benoit’s wife and son. This would serve as a bizarre calling card as if to either say “What good did your Bible do you?” or to throw off investigators to keep them from suspecting Sullivan and his Satanists would have been involved.

Another thing to note is the fact that Kevin Sullivan was also associated with Sherri Martel, who died just a few days before the bodies of Chris Benoit, and his family was found, and the full details of Martell’s death have not been made known as of the time of this writing.

I wonder why the police have not even considered investigating the possibility the Kevin Sullivan killed Benoit, Nancy, and their child. It is certainly a possibility worth looking in to.

Also, Benoit was going to be crowned ECW World Champion on Sunday night. Why would he murder his family and kill himself when he was going to be on top again and make lots more money?

Why would he tie his wife up before killing her? He would have no reason to, but Kevin Sullivan sure would!

Sure he had some problems with Nancy, but that was 4 years ago and what married couple doesn’t have problems? Remember also that they reconciled and as far as everyone knows there has been no other incidents reported.

One also needs to consider the fact that Benoit loved his kids and was so proud of his son that was killed. His kids wore suits and ties to his wrestling events and was proud of their dad. He was loved and respected by all those who knew him.

In my opinion, there is no way he would have murdered his family. This whole murder case has Satanists written all over it and Sullivan is a Satanist and has the motive to murder them.

I am encouraging anyone who reads this to send this to police authorities and circulate it on the internet, so these facts can be investigated, before the case is closed and Benoit is written off in history a murderer. If Sullivan is the real killer, justice should be served!

As a former Pro Wrestler myself, now a born again Christian and world wide evangelist, I am hoping and praying for justice no matter who is responsible.

Rev. Johnny Lee Clary

I'm not saying i believe this i just thought it was interesting reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Stupidest thing ive read in a long time. GO Wikipedia Satanism. Its NOTHING like what you think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That "article" (or whatever its supposed to be) should be in the hunour forum.

This bit is always good for losing you credibility from the outset : Rev. Johnny Lee Clary

World-Wide Evangelist
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

sorry i just thought it was interesting with all the stories going around this is just another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That's stupid and I feel sorry for Kevin Sullivan. The guy who wrote that was a leader in the KKK years back, but he says he's trying to stamp out racist groups now. Kevin Sullivan certainly had enough "satanic" gimmicks, but satanic churches don't condone any sort of criminalism. He's tying Sullivan into Sherri's death too, is that sort of thing not illegal?

EDIT: "He is known for being a calculating, cold-hearted individual"? I've never heard a bad word said about Sullivan, and he's never had a bad word to say about Chris or Nancy in the last 10 years. I can't believe that this guy is actually being serious, he seems pretty well respected by many people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Wrestling Observer with no ads from last night: http://download.yousendit.com/BE04AC2B34721312

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cheers.

I listened to WOL last night, it was interesting, a few things I hadn't heard mentioned before. But when Superstar Billy Graham was on he was talking about how Malenko said he called Benoit "Houdini" because he'd mentally disappear during conversations in Japan. I took Malenko to mean that Chris physically disappeared though, because he was so quiet you wouldn't notice him leaving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Wrestling Observer with no ads from last night: http://download.yousendit.com/BE04AC2B34721312
    thanks alot dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks for the upload.

Benoit's doctor turned himself in today and he's been charged with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs between 2004 and 2005. He's also a physician for other wrestlers

From observer news:

--If the revelation that Chris Benoit was getting ten months worth of steroids every three to four weeks from Dr. Phil Astin is accurate, it is beyond devastating for WWE. U.S. attorney David Nahmias reported that on average, Benoit was getting a ten month supply of steroids every three to four week during a period from May 4, 2006, and May 9, 2007, from Dr. Astin.

The April 10, 2007, drug test that Benoit passed was right in the middle of that period, which is why this charge is the most devastating to the company since the deaths themselves.

Whether fair or not, to the public, it is a complete credibility loss when it comes to the drug policy that the company can't afford at this time. And quite frankly, since Benoit was regularly tested during this entire one year period, it is impossible to have confidence in the drug policy with the release of this information.

Benoit was off for several months in 2006 and likely not tested during this period, but he should have been tested at least four times minimum during a period it would appear he was taking heavy doses of steroids. As noted in this week's issue, he and his wife were arguing over his increased use of steroids at the same time he was subject to a drug testing policy.

The announcement that Benoit passed his 4/10 steroid test, even if he did, is one that can't hold up to public opinion with the revelation in this indictment, because it covers a period well into the Wellness policy.

A key point of this is unlike with Balco, where they were using designer drugs that could beat the tests, Astin was prescribing Benoit regular steroids, so either the testing is incredibly flawed, Benoit had a way to easily beat the tests, or the tests themselves were a sham.

I strongly believe the latter is not the case, but I also believe the latter will be the conclusion most will come to. This is the first time when I truly fear that wrestling as we know it not only will be undergoing great changes, but that as bad as Vince McMahon's reputation is in some circles, and even with his history of rebounding from negatives, this will tarnish it to a level that he may never live to fully turn around.

There will be a far increased number of cries in the media over the next week, which have already started, to do something about the industry. Between the advertisers, sponsors, and those action figures with the muscular physiques, this is not a story going away soon.

More from the observer site:

More details come out in Astin case

Brief notes from the press conference about Dr. Astin's arrest and indictment...

-Records show that Dr. Astin prescribed over 1 million doses of numerous drugs over the past two years, many of them prescription painkillers and anabolic steroids, and many of the prescriptions were un-dated, which is illegal in and of itself.

-Quote from federal agent giving the press conference: "Dr. Astin allegedly prescribed these drugs like candy."

-Another quote from federal agent giving the press conference: ""Dirty doctors should be on notice that they face federal prosecution and federal prison time.""

--The agent also said, "Alleged in the complaint that Dr. Astin prescribed a very large amount of anabolic steroids to Chris Benoit," including a new ten-month supply of anabolic steroids every 3 to 4 weeks.

-Dr. Astin was arrested and subsequently released on $125,000 secured bond with numerous conditions, including surrendering his medical license and agreeing to home detention with an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet.

-Investigators are still searching through Dr. Astin's record, and there were lots of questions that yielded "no comment" responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Im just reading now that Dr. Astin was prescribing Benoit with a ten month supply of steroids every 3 to 4 weeks - http://www.k3wrestling.com/news.php?id=185419724 My conclusion here is that either Benoit was taking this amount of test or he was selling some of it.

Theres some other noteworthy facts in the below quote as well. The rumour regarding Benoit using steroids for much of his career without ever cycling off is particularly disturbing. This demonstrates a lack of education in the wrestling industry regarding steroid use, and supports the theory of steroid abuse in wrestling.

Also, the fact that Nancy Benoit's family do not believe Daniel had fragile x syndrome is quite perplexing.

source - http://www.k3wrestling.com/news.php?id=185420694
    Dr. Phil Astin of Carrollton is currently awaiting arraignment and for a bond to be set in Atlanta, GA. A reporter on MSBNC described the case as a “pill mill,” as Benoit’s personal doctor is charged with improperly writing prescription medication to two of his patients listed only by their initials. There is nothing in the incitement regarding the Benoit murder-suicide case, and makes no mention of steroids.

According to DA Scott Ballard, who was interviewed on Sunday Night’s Live Audio Wrestling radio show, there was no furniture tipped over in the Benoit home and it looked like nothing had happened.

Ballard said he is under the impression they are conducting toxicology reports on Chris, Nancy and Daniel Benoit.

Ballard said he doesn’t know if the rumor of Daniel having Fragile X Syndrome is true or not. As previously reported, Nancy’s parents are disputing this claim.

There are reports that Benoit used the crossface maneuver to kill Daniel, and not a chokehold as previously described by investigators.

Dan “The Mouth” Lovranski stated that he has heard Benoit has used steroids most of his career without ever cycling off.

Reports indicate that Benoit had become paranoid and didn’t want Nancy and Daniel to leave the home and talking to other people.

Reports also suggest that Nancy may have spoken to Dr. Phil Astin about the possibility of her raising Daniel alone.

According to the Fox News Channel, Dr. Phil Astin is accused of writing a 10 month prescription for Steroids to Chris Benoit every three or four weeks for a one year period, between May 2006 to May 2007.

According to CNN, the indictment of Dr. Astin accuses the doctor of writing improper prescriptions for two patients (listed by their initials "O.G." and "M.J.") in 2004 and 2005.

A secured $125,000 bond has been set for Dr. Phil Astin, with conditions.

Dr. Astin has surrendered his medical license.

Ashin will be monitored at home, as a condition of his release.

As the on going investigation continues, additional charges against Dr. Ashin are possible.

• Advertisement

This demonstrates a lack of education in the wrestling industry regarding steroid use, and supports the theory of steroid abuse in wrestling.

From what I have read and heard, the reason why he continuously took steroids seemed to be out of paranoia rather than a lack of education, particularly towards the end.

The Observer reported how he became paranoid towards the end that he would be fired (sounds crazy I know) and perhaps saw his move to ECW as a demotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

From what I have read and heard, the reason why he continuously took steroids seemed to be out of paranoia rather than a lack of education, particularly towards the end.

The Observer reported how he became paranoid towards the end that he would be fired (sounds crazy I know) and perhaps saw his move to ECW as a demotion.

Ive read about the recent paranoia as well, but that doesnt explain the lack of cycling during the last 20 years - basically, the way it works is: If you dont cycle steroids and take a post cycle treatment (pct), your body will become accustomed to not needing to produce testosterone and therefore will produce lower levels of it - it will also heighten the impact of the side effects of the hormone due to a continuously high intake of test (certainly physical effects such as acne etc, i would imagine phychological effects as well). I thought that was the justification of Benoit being prescribed test in the first place - his body produced low levels of it due to past steroid abuse.
    From observer news:
    The announcement that Benoit passed his 4/10 steroid test, even if he did, is one that can't hold up to public opinion with the revelation in this indictment, because it covers a period well into the Wellness policy.

My understanding of the wellness policy was that if you had a presciption for something, then it was ok. In other words, if you had a prescription for x amount of test and that amount of test is in your system, then you pass. Im not 100% certain whether this is the case but i definitely read somewhere that it is.

Regarding the excessive amounts Dr. Astin was prescribing to Benoit: There's no guarantee he was taking all of it. He may have been selling some of it - its not unheard of for bodybuilders to sell steroids as well as taking them - one would imagine this practice is prevailant in wrestling as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

The following was posted on TMZ.com

Amid reports that WWE wrestler Chris Benoit allegedly injected his son with hormones because of a health condition, Scott Ballard, District Attorney of Fayette County, Ga., just released this statement:

"There are additional reports that contradict the earlier information that suggested that Daniel Benoit may have suffered from Dwarf Syndrome or Fragile X Syndrome. Daniel's family denies that he suffered from either condition. As a result of the family's concerns, the Fayette County Sheriff's investigators and the District Attorney's Office have inquired into this matter. A source having access to certain of Daniel's medical reports reviewed those reports, and they do not mention any pre-existing mental or physical impairment. Reports from Daniel's educators likewise contradict the claims that Daniel was physically undersized. The educators report that Daniel graduated kindergarten and was prepared to enter the first grade on par with the other students."

A "Top level wrestler" spoke to the editor of the torch, Wade Keller saying that for top guys the policy is a joke.

Bottom line in all of this is regardless of the detail, the ratios and the small print, for the WWE its all about perception. And if your trying to portray to the general media that your policy is effective, news like this won't make your job any easier, especially when the media are honing in on the steroid angle already.

The media have all the facts they need to really drive the steroid issue home now. WWE are going to come in for a lot of pressure. I just wonder if they're going to take action within the company soon or not

• Advertisement

I just came across this article that does a better job than WWE did of explaining why steroids are more than likely not the main issue here: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/07/02/0703domestic.html Quotes from experts in domestic violence and drug use in sports. That site's actually had some of the best and fairest coverage I think

An interesting quote prior to Wellness by the WWE.

It is from that 2004 USA Today article with the picture of Del Wilkes that came on the heels of Hawk and Crash Holly's deaths:

Quote:
    Jerry McDevitt, the outside legal counsel for McMahon's wrestling organization, contends testing "just doesn't work" because wrestlers can fake urine tests or use designer steroids that are undetectable. "Anybody who wants to beat it can beat it. The only ones who are caught are stupid," he says.

Here's Konnan on Nancy Grace Monday night. Its clipped a little funny but its well worth a look. Konnan I guess has nowhere to go in the US, so he's very honest.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNQWq8xuG84

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wIpW1H7grw

Ted DiBiase Discusses the Chris Benoit Case on FoxNews
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtxLbDRg3lA

Here's Konnan on Nancy Grace Monday night. Its clipped a little funny but its well worth a look. Konnan I guess has nowhere to go in the US, so he's very honest.

Part 1:

Part 2:

thanks again dude.........
    Konnan has nothing to lose by saying whatever he says...
    Im interested in what ted dibiase had to say..
    Ill check it out when im home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

According to The Sun he killed his kid with his signature move "The Crippler Crossface". Professional right to the end.

It's more than just The Sun reporting that. All the reports that say it are quoting Dave Meltzer though, and I haven't seen anything on the Wrestling Observer site about it or in any interviews Meltzer's done

The most recent news is that Benoit's doctor denies ever prescribing steroids to him

Fozzy wrote:
    It's more than just The Sun reporting that. All the reports that say it are quoting Dave Meltzer though, and I haven't seen anything on the Wrestling Observer site about it or in any interviews Meltzer's done

Its in this weeks issue of the observer with direct quotes from the lead investigator. Meltzer and indeed the investigator didn't report as it being 100% certain. However with the markings on Daniels body, it does seem consistent with the move.

The reason why it wasn't been reported sooner was because at the time the investigator felt it would only intensify the media frenzy around the case.

I'm actually shocked at what I just read, Hulk Hogan talking about Nancy: "She was into devil-worship stuff. It was part of her [wrestling] character, but [she was] somebody who gets so close to their character, someone who gets into their character too much. Sometimes these people believe their own publicity."

She hadn't done any sort of "devil-worship" character since 1996 though, had she? Hogan's one to be talking about believing your own publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i really think hogan is a knob... that piece of **** show of his has done him no favours imo

• Advertisement

Part 1:

Part 2:

konnan pretty much goes all out with what he says and literally accuses every big wrestler of taking them
    edit:I don't think that he is going to get a call to sign to WWE from Vince Mcmahon anytime soon either

After technical difficulties prevented him from appearing last night, former WWF champion Warrior will discuss the Benoit tragedy tonight on Fox News at 9 PM Eastern on Hannity & Colmes.

this is going to be one to watch

from wrestlezone.com
    As previously reported, Dr. Phil Astin of Carrollton, GA was indicted on Monday for improperly prescribing various controlled substances in 2004 and 2005 to two patients with the initials "O.G." and "M.J." The individual listed by "M.J." may be a former WCW/WWE wrestler. According to the report, "O.G." may be a current WWE superstar. We don't want to get further into this but the M.J initials (Mark Jindrak - NOT CONFIRMED AT ALL?), but the only current wrestler on the WWE roster with the real-name initials of "O.G" would be Oscar Gutierrez which is the real name of Rey Mysterio.

I wasn't trying to think of anyone when I read that first, but Mysterio did come into my head. I didn't know of any reports where they said those two people might be wrestlers though, just sounds like speculation

Your right. As far as I had read, up to this point, they haven't stated whether they were wrestlers or from some other sport. So speculating on the initials is a little premature.

Well, there's news out just now that the DEA seized medical records of other wrestlers when they saw the pictures of the wrestlers on the walls on the doctor's office. There's a video here that I haven't been able to get to play: http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=3670706&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

No mention of MJ or OG though, from what I read. There's a lot of wrestlers who've lived in the Atlanta area over the years, as WCW was based there and ran a lot of shows there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lance Storm has weighed in with his comments on the tragedy:
    I apologize for taking so long to get comments posted about this, but I wanted to make sure all the facts were uncovered before commenting. I think I now have a fairly solid grasp of the facts, yet doubt I will ever understand them.

I first found out about the Benoit family deaths around 5pm MST Monday evening when my wife called to inform me of the news. Very little was known at that time, apart from the three deaths. I had just one day earlier learned of the death of Shane Bower (Benoit’s old Stampede Wrestling tag team partner) and could not believe another wrestling tragedy could strike so soon.

I rushed home in hopes of finding more information and like most of you tuned into RAW Monday night to watch a tearful tribute. I got the news that this was not a tragic accident but in fact a murder-suicide just before the conclusion of RAW and turned the show off immediately. I was completely stunned and incapable of digesting this news. I spent the next several hours on line and on the phone getting all the information I could. The more information I got the more disturbed and confused I became; my grief was replaced with complete disbelief.

Over the past week I have thought and talked about nothing else and I think I have come to terms with the events as best I can. I doubt I will ever fully understand what happened but I have at least managed to accept the facts for what they are, inexplicable horrifying facts.

The Chris Benoit that I knew some how ceased to exist sometime before Friday June 22, because the Chris Benoit that I knew, could not have done what is now painfully clear he did do. I can offer no explanation or excuse for his actions and will not attempt to defend him. There is no acceptable defense for what he did. I have kids and I cannot even comprehend this act. I either never new the real Chris Benoit or something horrific happened inside of him prior to the 22nd. Many people are blaming drugs. I don’t accept that, and consider drugs an easy scapegoat. If drugs were a factor, then that blame must also fall on Chris Benoit, because from all accounts, he knowingly and willingly took those drugs.

I think one thing is clear, regardless of the role drugs played in Chris’ state of mind; the Pro-Wrestling industry has some serious drug issues that are going to have to be dealt with very soon. I have been very out spoken in the past and will continue to be in the future. We have seen deaths in this industry due to drug overdoses, drug related heart attacks, suicides due to possible drug related depression, and now perhaps even drug related murder. Something needs to be done and it needs to be done now!

I’m not sure what else can be said. This is the single most disturbing event I have ever had a connection too. As hard as this has been for me to deal with, I cannot even imagine how hard this must be for the families of Chris and Nancy Benoit. My heart goes out to their parents, and most importantly to Chris’s two surviving children. My condolences and deepest sympathies go out to them.

Lance Evers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

for those that missed it, heres the ultimate warrior on hannity and colmes last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLdhN886Io

Shin

Warrior said on his site that he'll be posting up his thoughts after he appears on that show. I'm sure it'll be interesting as always

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

shinzon wrote:
    for those that missed it, heres the ultimate warrior on hannity and colmes last nightShin

Man he looks weird - all those pearly white teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

gm1984 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I saw that, but I don't think the police could be that incompetent. Obviously he doesn't know all the details of the case. The forensic results would be fairly accurate at this stage as to when each of them died. Chris was talking to a neighbour after Nancy had died, which would be very strange if someone else had killed her. Plus, he had told Chavo that they had food poisoning after they had already died. Really doesn't look like a triple murder, but the police have said they're investigating all the possibilities anyway

Jim Ross has updated his blog at www.jrsbarbq.com today. In this edition, he comments on "the show moving on" as wrestlers are working through such "catastrophic" circumstances. In his blog he writes:

I enjoyed being in Dallas Monday and having the chance to visit with many of the Raw, Smackdown, and ECW Superstars throughout the afternoon. Recent times have obviously been challenging for the WWE family and when times are at their toughest, families stick together and support one another through the hands that life often deals us.

It would be naive and inaccurate to say that it was business as usual in the locker room, but I can honestly say that the athletes are enduring these catastrophic circumstances as well as one could expect and that is largely, in my opinion, due to their respective faith and through the support of their family and friends.

One subject I heard addressed among the superstars was the plethora of inaccurate news reporting from many of the nation's top news personalities. These "news stars" are quick to make damning opinions without significant proof of the issues in which they speak and embarrassingly without proper preparation. Some of the so called biggest names in cable news have become embarrassments and I have lost a great deal of faith in these individuals, who seemingly don't care to learn about our business, but are happy, almost gleeful, to point out any imperfections they perceive our profession has. Is any business perfect? Hell, no. Should all businesses improve and evolve with the ever changing times? Absolutely.
    Challenging times separate the proverbial men from the boys and as it relates to this business, I have proudly devoted over 34 years of my life to living my dream working in wrestling. I want our business to grow and get better in all areas. I choose to be a part of the solution and not "pile on" as it seems so many are. Challenging days no doubt lie ahead, but we will persevere. That, my friends, is my story, as honestly and truthfully as I can state it, and I am damn sure sticking to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

JR, as always, keeps a professional and steely stance on a serious matter. Fair play to him, always has my respect, from the night at Over The Edge when Owen died. I'm still amazed how he kept his professional composure while live on air.

Warrior's interview wasn't really too bad....
    He managed to keep going back to the point that it wasn't roid rage and that we should look at the bigger picture

• Advertisement

Source: PWTorch.com

As many wrestling fans following the Benoit case are aware by now, Dr. Phil Astin III - Benoit's physician - was arrested for having prescribed illegal drugs and steroids to several wrestlers and athletes.

An interesting twist to this story was reported today in an article by www.ajc.com.(Atlanta Journal-Consitution's website) The site reveals that Dr. Phil Astin, Jr. - the father of Benoit's doctor - had his medical license suspended for illegally prescribing pain killers to 14 patiens in a period of time beginning from the 1970s and ending in 1989. At the time, he agreed to pay a fine on top of his 30-day license suspension, and to eventually follow strict rules and oversight with writing prescriptions. Though he eventually had his license restored, in 2005, Phil Astin, Jr. committed suicide by shooting himself.

You can read the full story on ajc.com by clicking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Comments from Roddy Pipper
    In the interview, Roddy Piper gave The Pain Clinic his first comments on the Benoit family tragedy. He talked about having dinner with Benoit over the years, including after Eddie Guerrero’s funeral. Roddy said he “should have had the damn dinner” in response to Benoit recently asking Piper to go to dinner with him to talk. Piper says he will attend Chris Benoit’s funeral, which will be his first funeral since Adrian Adonis’ because he “can’t handle them.” Piper calls Chris Benoit his “brother” and says he will stay on Benoit’s “side until the very end.” Piper said “I stand behind Chris Benoit a hundred percent, I’ll be at his funeral, and we’ll wait and see what comes back (from the toxicology reports).”

and from D-lo Brown
    "It came as a shock to me just as it came to a shock to the wrestling public, the nation, and the world. It's a sad day, but one of those things where I want to hold off talking about until all the facts come out. I don't know. No one knows what happened there other than what the physical evidence shows."

Brown says he wants to wait until the facts come in and JG says he agrees that we should wait to hear the final verdict on all the evidence before guessing at reasons. D-Lo responds:

"Everyday there's something that could be or couldn't be….People are jumping to conclusions and throwing their own opinions in there and then they come out to be wrong. So, I just want to wait to see how it all plays out and give my opinion on it. But Chris as a performer, you can't say anything negative about him. He was just incredible in the ring and I'll miss him. I'll put it that way."

fatal wrote:
    Warrior's interview wasn't really too bad....
    He managed to keep going back to the point that it wasn't roid rage and that we should look at the bigger picture

His points were pretty decent but when he shouts like a madman I'm not sure it plays well with the general audience.

Some Observer news/comments:

--There is a huge story in today's New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007-07-03_slamming_roids.html largely based on an interview with Konnan. He talked about being at Eddy Guerrero's funeral and said that was his breaking point. He asked for Congress or some legislative branch to step in and regulate the industry. It's a must-read article. Gary Davis said in response that wrestlers are neither encouraged or forced to use steroids in WWE. Nobody is "FORCED," but if you look at how Smackdown and Raw ended this week, if you think people aren't encouraged based on who is pushed to look an unnatural way, you have to be blind. The fact they did it on TV on Friday and Monday either show cluelessness or arrogance. Everyone in the company I've had contact with (admittedly only a handful) over the past few days said that when it comes to putting Batista and Lashley over on both shows this week, that everyone thinking the same thing that everyone on the Internet was writing. As for why, people were split between cluelessness and arrogance, but nobody could even offer any defense. The story said a veteran congressional staffer said nobody is planning on any hearings to look at the pro wrestling industry.

--Jerry McDevitt appeared last night on both Scarborough Country and Greta Von Sustern on FNC, while Ultimate Warrior was on Hannety & Colmes. McDevitt ended up coming off terribly on Scarborough Country, as other guests dismissed the WWE drug testing program as a joke, citing the elevated testosterone ratio as being a positive (not as big an issue as has been played up in some stories, but it is something) and that you can pass the test if you have steroids but have a prescription (which is a major issue).

At this point, trying to deny the death rate even though only five men have died in the last ten years under contract kills credibility because if you look at every PPV show in WWE history, there are only a few where at least one person on the show isn't dead. There are many deaths of people in their early and mid-40s, a few years after they left WWE, with drugs having played a part, and they picked up those habits in the industry. It's not only a WWE problem, it is an industry problem, the life expectancy of WWE wrestlers is a terrible issue.

Marc Mero then held up a list of 25 men he had wrestled who are now dead, and noted almost all had worked in WWE. Another point that could come back to bite WWE's credibility is McDevitt portraying that as far as he knows, no other WWE wrestler saw Dr. Phil Astin. Benoit was referred to Astin by the Atlanta wrestlers who frequented him long before Benoit moved there. Numerous wrestlers not only in Atlanta, but some who reside nowhere near Atlanta, were "patients" of Astin. I will say McDevitt came across far better than Astin's lawyer, who was the ultimate in slime.

Warrior had some good points, but his delivery was from outer space and 99% of the people watching him likely thought he was a raving lunatic. Steve Blackman went from a few days ago saying he didn't use steroids after almost dying from a reaction to them, to saying he had never used them in his life. Where Mero made WWE look horrible was saying in his entire time there, he was only tested twice, and he was never monitored while testing. The former statement isn't as bad as it sounds, because he got there just as WWE was dropping testing in 1996. However, never being monitored while giving the sample, and that would be as late as 1996, more than four years after the first round of testing (which all wrestlers I've spoken to from the period believed was legitimate) would make the process a sham.

By the end of that segment, after McDevitt left, the credibility of the WWE testing was blown to smithereens. McDevitt also gave the illusion of an argument by saying Davey Boy Smith didn't have steroids in his system when he died, as if that proves anything. You don't overdose and die from steroids like pain pills or cocaine. The damage is generally from long-term use and abuse. If Benoit's toxicology reports shows no steroids in his system, it will be seen by WWE as vindication and will kill the roid rage folks. At the same time, the roid rage argument has been contradicted by every steroid expert in the country as well as police, whether he has stuff in his system or not. However, Benoit did use stuff for probably 20 years or more, and used high doses, so no matter what toxicology shows, steroids could have played a small part in his depression, along with dozens of other factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Having been on holiday last week, I missed alot of the coverage of this tragic event. I think it was on the Tuesday of last week, I happened to buy a English newspaper to find the most shocking headline I could have possibly wished to read, that Chris Benoit had murdered his family and himself. Having read through this whole thread , having read countless news stories, watched videos from tributes from condemnation by media and wrestlers alike, I feel I am little more prepared to talk about it.

I am guy whom of which has watched wrestling all my life, over recent years my interest hasnt been as strong as it once was but I can say this though, these guys over the 20 years of watching wrestling be it WWE, WCW, ECW, they have kept me most entertained, none more than Chris Benoit. I remember watching Chris with Dean Malenko when they first joined the 4 Horsemen, all the way to winning the WWE title Wrestlemania. Chris Benoit remains still one of my favourite wrestlers and his legacy will not be forgotten by me.

I will remember him for his work in the ring, I will remember him for how he entertained everyone week in week out, I will remember him for the consumate professional what he was. I will not erase him from my memory, obviously as person he had troubles, be it mentally , or with abuse of steroids, which led to murder of his wife and son, and consequently taking his own life.

Some may say my take on this is very clouded if not idiotic but its not for me to judge Chris Benoit as a murderer, the only person qualified to judge this man is God.

My condolences go out for all the benoit family, may his wife, son, and Chris all R.I.P

Willstev

His points were pretty decent but when he shouts like a madman I'm not sure it plays well with the general audience.

true that.........
    Even when the presenter introduced him as "warrior",he(the presenter) had a smirk on his face

• Advertisement
Advertisement