Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Radio not holding settings

Options
  • 26-06-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought an Aldi car stereo on Thursday, it's a Tevion I think. I pulled out the old one, and put the 2 molex connectors in the same location as where they were in the old one I think. Radio works fine, apart from when i turn ignition off, it loses all settings that I have set up on it, e.g saved radio stations, bass, treble, volume etc. Anyone had this problem before? It's in a Golf mk4 if that makes any difference.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi,
    I bought an Aldi car stereo on Thursday, it's a Tevion I think. I pulled out the old one, and put the 2 molex connectors in the same location as where they were in the old one I think. Radio works fine, apart from when i turn ignition off, it loses all settings that I have set up on it, e.g saved radio stations, bass, treble, volume etc. Anyone had this problem before? It's in a Golf mk4 if that makes any difference.
    thanks

I'm no radio expert but I think there should be a seperate connection/wire for the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I bought one of those radios over a year ago now. I remember having this problem at the start but it went away after a while. I dunno if theres a battery in the unit or something that needs to charge but mine is fine now. its a tevion, cant remember if thats lidl or aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Hmmm, there were 3 wires, one for aerial, which I had to buy an adaptor for to fit into the stereo. The other 2 molex ones fitted straight into back of the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The red and yellow wires in the loom have to be swapped for VAG cars. There should be adapters in the loom for this. ie the red has to plug into the yellow and the yellow into the red.

For some reason VW decided to wire these backways...

thanks, thats exactly what i needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Is it a similar story for older VAG cars such as my 98 Ibiza?

There's a blue plug with the original Seat head unit that has nowhere to go on my new Tevion unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi,
    thanks

This is a common problem when fitting a radio to a Mk 4 Golf. The original radio in your car has a battery in it which keeps the circuit active when the ignition is switched off, so that the transistor bank in the radio that stores the station memory is kept alive and your stations are stored.

The radio you have fitted doesn't have the battery inside it to do this, it needs a 12V supply from the car electrical system, which the Golf is not fitted with because VW use a battery in the radio to carry out this function. Usually it's just a matter of identifying the cable in the radio wiring harness that is used as the "keep alive" wire and running a permanent (stays at 12V even if the ignition is switched off), 12V supply to this wire.

JHMEG wrote:
    The red and yellow wires in the loom have to be swapped for VAG cars. There should be adapters in the loom for this. ie the red has to plug into the yellow and the yellow into the red.

For some reason VW decided to wire these backways...

Which loom is this? There is a red and a yellow wire on the loom that came with the new radio. Should I swap these? There are no purely red or purely yellow wires in the loom that comes from car itself, theres on half red half yellow. and one half red half white

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Red and Yellow wires in question have quick release connectors on them whereas the other wires don't from what I remember. It's a 5 minute job - had to do it on my Octavia last year after some scumbag had away with the stereo and I had to put a new one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The loom on the stereo. The red and yellow wires should have little inline plugs and sockets to allow them to be disconnected and reversed.

@Richyx, yes should be the same on a Seat, tho I've experience of such. The blue wire is probably for a function that the Tevion doesn't actually have.

• Advertisement

thanks. they have inline ones, but the yellow one is a snap apart type, the red on is a screw apart....they are totally un-interchangeable! managed to pull the connectors out anyway and reverse them so hopefully it'll work when i plug it in this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

thanks. they have inline ones, but the yellow one is a snap apart type, the red on is a screw apart....they are totally un-interchangeable! managed to pull the connectors out anyway and reverse them so hopefully it'll work when i plug it in this evening!

Post here how you got on - a friend of mine has this problem - same unit in a Rover 45.

Not your ornery onager

I swapped the yellow and red wires in the stereo loom., working perfectly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I swapped the yellow and red wires in the stereo loom., working perfectly now!

How did you go about swapping them?
    I was having a look at mine just now and the wires didn't seem to want to come out very easily.

Also, which end did you swap?
    The head unit end or the end that connects to the old loom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 howardsback

can anyone tell me about maxi fuses? i had a problem with our Citroen c3 Pluriel (soft top convertible) after putting in a goodmans radio. basically what we think happened was the radio set off a fuse because we had a look after the electrics got messed up and it was one of the reds that went off under the bonnet. anyways, after looking under the fuseboard under the bonnet we found the maxis and one of them was blown. it was a yellow 20a maxi, number 6, and after making a short term fuse we got it all going again, all is grand now. we just dont know what this maxi is for, it could tell us what caused the circuits to go in the first place. anyone have any info on citroen fuseboards? the weird thing is that the hidden fuseboard wasnt mentioned in the handbook for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

can anyone tell me about maxi fuses? i had a problem with our Citroen c3 Pluriel...
    You'd be much better starting a new thread for this quesy.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 howardsback

thanks, i'm a new user here on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How wierd. I just got a new car steroe with DVD / TV tuner etc and it has the same problem. Once the ignition is off it loses the settings. It's in an Astra so I guess the wires have to be reversed likewise.

Advertisement