Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

purge valve

Options
  • 26-06-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I have a '98 A6 2.8Q sport and i've been hearing this clicking noise from the airbox area of the engine bay. I've previously posted asking why a temp. sensor would click but i now have the answer.

it's not an air temp. sensor- it's not going into the airbox at all, it's only mounted on it. i've successfully googled it and found out that it's a purge valve.

the question now is what the hell is a purge valve?

it's mounted on the airbox, has a pipe running down the back of the engine somewhere and a pipe running down into the wing next to the airbox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds to me like its the valve on the activated charcoal filter - at least thats my best guess! Here's more info that may help you identify it > http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5499613-description.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_7_22_56_381_1840&products_id=923

this is the part in question. as i've said- it clicks until you fiddle with the wires

Can you read the part number from it - it will be 3 sets of 3 digits, possibly with a letter or two at the end. I'll tell you exactly what it is then..................

077 133 517 C

bosch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

It does what a value should do.....

Its there to remove exhaust fumes.

My value ticks away as well and I have an Astra

• Advertisement

well i'm concerned because it only clicks sometimes and when it does, the clicking goes away when you fiddle with the wiring. it clicks quite loud as well- about as loud as a typewriter.

what would be the effect if it was dicky?

cantdecide wrote:
    077 133 517 C

bosch.

It's a valve for your Activated Charcoal Filter. If the car is running OK and you have no engine warning lights on, then I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

Item 31 in the attached diagram...................

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

They all click, but not all the time. Only when working. It is possible that it just happens to stop when you wiggle the wiring.

Nothing to worry about from the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Or he could have a dodgy connection and moving the wires is disconnecting the valve. Clicking is normal.

Advertisement