Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back together with an ex

• 26-06-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hope this ain't too flippant (?:rolleyes: ) for here but I'm sure the mods will sort it out if it is.

Anyway, a mate of mine got dumped over the weekend and a few of us went for a few brews with him last night to try cheer him up and take his mind of it. Of course that didn't really happen and a few rounds later talk turned to getting back with exes.

Consensus was that for relationships of less than 6 months/a year...there's more of a chance people will get back together (however casual) but only on occassion does it work out. Longer term relationships, despite best intentions of remaining friends, that it's just too painful for at least one party.

So, just out of interest I thought I'd put a poll together here...

Got Back With An Ex? 22 votes

Yes, it went well
    0% 0 votes
    yes, but it went bad
    9% 2 votes
    No, but one person wanted to try
    40% 9 votes
    No, both knew it was a bad idea
    27% 6 votes
    No, wasn't an option
    22% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

It depends whether you break up cos of feelings changing or circumstances changing.

Any of my exs where one of us wanted to end the relationship - I would never go back for seconds. But my current bf went to Oz for a year. We knew we were quite serious so we said that we would stay in touch and see what happened. We both saw people during that year. He came back and we are now going out four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Unless two people put the effort it and really want to make it work, I never think its a good idea. Also depends why you break up in the first place. If people learn from their mistakes and don't repeat them, then I think a second chance should be given. But no more than that. Far too many people hang on to crap relationship or people who treat them badly just because they're scared of being alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Polls not permitted in PI - Please read the charter at the top of this forum for guidance on posting in this forum.

Not a PI - moved to AH

AH mods - you might like to reopen the poll or not.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I wouldn't get back with an ex. Ex's are ex's for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

orla wrote:
    I wouldn't get back with an ex. Ex's are ex's for a reason.
    She speaks the utter truth.

Been there before. Dont go back to them, stay away!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Depends. I know some who have broken up(some really bad breakups too) and have gotten back together and it's better the second time. It depends what the reasons were and how close the original relationship was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

bad idea, leave it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Run far, run fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Once bitten, twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never, ever, ever, ever, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ruu wrote:
    Never, ever, ever, ever, etc.
    Never ever, forever, never?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

never have, never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I broke up with my boyfriend for about 6 or 7 months, back in 2003. We got back together in the beginning of 2004 and we've been together ever since.

I think when we met first it was a case of 'Right person, Wrong time', the break gave us a chance to grow up a bit and sort our priorities out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

My cats breath smells like cat food...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

What about being friends with your Ex or is that a totally different question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Tried twice, both times it ended again less than a week later.

Advertisement