Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Can they do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

baddabing wrote:
    As usual topics go soooo of course....

Isn't it a case that you bring a car in to NCT, it fails on 3 counts, listed on your report.

You go away and fix those faults (not the simple fix that only require a visual check).

If the car is retested fully then it can fail again on the full range of checks! And so it goes around and around.

Nope, even if it has to be tested on the rigs (as it will be as the headlights failed), it should still only be checked for the things it failed on. It won't be tested for emissions again for example. I mean, they passed it as legal a few days ago - what's changed since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

Well the test centre rang me this morning and told me I can interpret the Road Test Act any way I want that they will fail me anyway and if I make a compliant it won‘t matter - his words. I’m not trying to be a smart ass and I don’t want to say it’s a principle thing but it kind of is.

If my reg plate was such a danger to the public why wasn’t I failed on it first time - does that mean the first mechanic was incompetent at his job for not pulling me up the reg. Though when I mentioned this over the phone the guy suggested that I had changed my plates at the last test?

Basically getting back to the point on a re-test they obviously can fail you on something not on the list.

I can’t make my booking today and am waiting on a cancellation so I’ll post back on what happens, though I probably will change my plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Whatever about headlights not being focussed, you could be hard pressed to notice that, just as well they did, now we can all enjoy the benefits !

Why did you not check you window washers though ?? I get the impression you dont take the NCT seriously, and either way the laws on number plates have existed unchanged since 1991, and back the the fine for plates that did not conform was IR£1000, and I know several who were done in my area by some cop with a chip on his shoulder !

Still the law applies to everyone, so for the sake of €10 or so, just but they plate!

Good luck with the test BTW !

Oh yeah, I was once asked to pay for a retest inpection because I failed due to my SPARE tyre having a nick on the sidewall. Why would I need to do anything but open the boot and produce a bill !! Well the fact is I did, they stated that I could have swopped my wheels around and they had to inspect all of them again the verify I hadn't !! The damage was on the outside of the tyre !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

edengarden wrote:
    Well the test centre rang me this morning and told me I can interpret the Road Test Act any way I want that they will fail me anyway and if I make a compliant it won‘t matter - his words. I’m not trying to be a smart ass and I don’t want to say it’s a principle thing but it kind of is.

If my reg plate was such a danger to the public why wasn’t I failed on it first time - does that mean the first mechanic was incompetent at his job for not pulling me up the reg. Though when I mentioned this over the phone the guy suggested that I had changed my plates at the last test?

Basically getting back to the point on a re-test they obviously can fail you on something not on the list.

I can’t make my booking today and am waiting on a cancellation so I’ll post back on what happens, though I probably will change my plates.

Your dead right. Let them fail you and then appeal there refusal. It's not open to the NCTS to enforce the Road Traffic Act, this is the responsibility of the Gardai. You are completely in the right.

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Darragh, I'm not at all off topic. The OP knows the number plates don't comply with the legal requirement - He's acknowledged that way before I even looked at this thread. He then goes on to state:

" No I'm not going to get a new number plate it's completely ridiculously."

So, you'll surely agree he made it part of this discussion himself.

Now while I don't agree with the *reported* attitude of the NCTS staffer, the fact remains that the OP is breaking the law, and is doing so knowingly. And while it would be easier to get on side with the OP by agreeing that the NCTS staffer was a tool, it would only serve to detract from the OP's 'pick and choose' approach to the legality of his vehicles presence on our roads.

The OP's car failed the test, partly because BOTH headlights were out of spec....Why? Both out of focus/alignment? Both running modified non-approved type units? Both running 100W bulbs? I know, I'm speculating, but why should I take the OP at face value here? His attitude suggests he thinks he's at liberty to decide what laws/regulations apply to him and which ones don't, and that's not on.

Really, why should any of us give him the benefit of the doubt here? The guy brought his car to a test centre in Westmeath, two days ago now, with an empty washer bottle and two dodgy headlights. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but when I drive my car in the kind of crappy weather we've had lately, I make sure the washer bottles at least got a bit in it and that my headlights are good to go - Because I'll more than likely need both. And more likely I'll need it when driving out of Dublin because of the type of traffic I'll get stuck behind etc.

A guy who can't be arsed making sure he can protect his field of vision when driving is someone I want to have failed for anything they can get him on. A guy who doesn't know or chooses to ignore the fact his headlights are out of spec is someone I want to see failed. A guy who thinks that just because he got away with something once means he shouldn't be done for it on a technicality is a guy I want to see failed.

A €20 quid pair of plates is all it would take for the OP to comply with the law, as obliged.... But he chooses to whinge about it here and chance his arm in the morning. :rolleyes:

Enough excuses. We're all road users, and we all make mistakes. The vast majority of us I'm sure will hold up our hands and say fair enough, I cocked up there. But those who don't or won't are the people each and every one of us should focus our attentions on.... No more excuses.

The facts are simple. The OP has the benefit of the provisions of the NCT regulations. I agree, he/she should have the proper number plates, but procedure is procedure and it's not open to the NCTS to deal with this in the way that they are trying to do at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

MercMad wrote:
    Oh yeah, I was once asked to pay for a retest inpection because I failed due to my SPARE tyre having a nick on the sidewall. Why would I need to do anything but open the boot and produce a bill !! Well the fact is I did, they stated that I could have swopped my wheels around and they had to inspect all of them again the verify I hadn't !! The damage was on the outside of the tyre !!

Ah yes, good oul' inconsistencies... I went in with a buckled, flat and bald spare once and no mention was made. The spare wheel is not part of the inspection I believe (but I'm open to correction) as it makes no difference to your driving as the car is. It's up to you whether you want to carry a spare or not, your own problem if you're left on the side of the road with none. Besides, most cars have space savers which will fail the NCT if they were on the car anyway due to the imbalance putting the alignment way off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

The OP is partly right, he is saying there is inconsistancies with the NCT staff and there is...

2 years ago i NCT'ed my car and the man says my licence plate letters were too small but he said he would pass it anyway, this time I was told I would need to get the standard plates...The NCTer than told me once I passed the test sure I could put back on my old ones....

So yes there is inconsistancies but who cares its only a number plate just change it...

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

With the rash or personalised plates up here in the North it is quite common to see mis-sized letters, badly spaced ones, strategically placed mounting screws (e.g to make an F look like a T). While I don't agree with any of them it is up to the cars owner if he is prepared to chance getting a fine or points for this.

When it comes to our MOT though....near every one of these personalised plate owners has a spare set of legal plates, quite a few carry them with them and if stopped by the police fit the correct plates (double sided tape has a lot to answer for) to avoid an on the spot fine. But I can 100% say that NONE of them are stupid enough to present the car with illegal plates fitted for an MOT.

Wise up, quit complaining and get a spare set of plates and a roll of double sided tape - "Honestly officer, I just bought the correct plates and I am getting them fitted by my mechanic tomorrow"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

edengarden wrote:

Awwww!!! I was reading through this thread with great interest and waiting to get to the end to see how you got on!!! Let's know when your re-test is and how you fared...

pa daly wrote:
    The OP is partly right, he is saying there is inconsistancies with the NCT staff and there is...

2 years ago i NCT'ed my car and the man says my licence plate letters were too small but he said he would pass it anyway, this time I was told I would need to get the standard plates...The NCTer than told me once I passed the test sure I could put back on my old ones....

So yes there is inconsistancies but who cares its only a number plate just change it...

I can't believe the size of your reg plates can cause you to fail your NCT...typical state organisation tryna make things easier for themselves and get us all in line.

I NCT'd my first car a few years ago and there was a big scratch down the windscreen caused by the rubber coming off the wiper....they didn't even comment on it...my car passed with flying colours. It's amazing that a scratch on your windscreen won't cause them a bother, but the size of your reg plate will :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

I wanna hear if he failed or passed and how....CMON DISH IT OUT !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't believe the size of your reg plates can cause you to fail your NCT...

I failed my NCT because the "Baile Átha Cliath" bit wasn't fully legible. Say no more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

unkel wrote:
    I failed my NCT because the "Baile Átha Cliath" bit wasn't fully legible. Say no more!
    I'm laughin as if half of us Dubs would understand it anyway :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

OKenora wrote:
    I wanna hear if he failed or passed and how....CMON DISH IT OUT !!!!
    Yeah me too, the OP's waiting for a cancellation *pulls up a pew*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sounds like there are a few jumped up little hitlers in the NCTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Sounds like there are a few jumped up little hitlers in the NCTS.

In fairness to the NCTS, they do not make the rules. And the county name As Gaeilge must have been the result of very hard lobbying work by some pressure group :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

so @ the end of the day the op will have to buy new plates and put them on to get his car thru the nct and the moaning was in vain.

Too many people whinge about the nct get up off ur arses and do something about it! set up a looby group or a website or something.

unkel wrote:
    In fairness to the NCTS, they do not make the rules.

Well in the OP's case, they are making up the rules. This is what I have a problem with. If I was the OP, there is no way I would let this lie and I wouldn't be the slightest bit fazed if I was failed on my re-test, I'd take it all the way to the district court (which you are quite entitled to do as part of the NCTS appeals process), to get my NCT cert, and I'm 200% confident that I would get my NCT cert on this occasion because the OP is on the right side of the law in this instance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Darragh29 wrote:
    Well in the OP's case, they are making up the rules. This is what I have a problem with. If I was the OP, there is no way I would let this lie and I wouldn't be the slightest bit fazed if I was failed on my re-test, I'd take it all the way to the district court (which you are quite entitled to do as part of the NCTS appeals process), to get my NCT cert, and I'm 200% confident that I would get my NCT cert on this occasion because the OP is on the right side of the law in this instance...

You really ought not to give bad advice - you're not the one who will be penalised.

http://www.eforecourt.com/nctfaq.htm

You will note plates are in section 12. If you really need to know all the details you can buy the NCT manual for a fiver.

OP, get your car sorted out and good luck with the retest.

nipplenuts wrote:
    You really ought not to give bad advice - you're not the one who will be penalised.

Read the whole thread please. The OP is entirely correct, he/she should not be failed on the re-test, this is a fact. It is a fact because the NCT regulations specifically state that a new fail-refusal item can only be introduced by the NCTS during a re-test for stated reasons which are not relevant here. You throwing out a link with the absolute minimum of information is of no use to anyone. As I have said, please acquaint yourself with the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Darragh29 wrote:
    Read the whole thread please. The OP is entirely correct, he/she should not be failed on the re-test, this is a fact. It is a fact because the NCT regulations specifically state that a new fail-refusal item can only be introduced by the NCTS during a re-test for stated reasons which are not relevant here. You throwing out a link with the absolute minimum of information is of no use to anyone. As I have said, please acquaint yourself with the facts.

You're missing the point. The car with the incorrect plates isn't road legal, if the car isn't road legal it is by default a danger to the public. It doesn't matter if it is for bald tires or letters 1.5cm to small.

It's all academic since the OP is getting new plates.
    templetonpeck

I NCT'd my first car a few years ago and there was a big scratch down the windscreen caused by the rubber coming off the wiper....they didn't even comment on it...my car passed with flying colours. It's amazing that a scratch on your windscreen won't cause them a bother, but the size of your reg plate will

There are specifications for chips/scratches on a windscreen. If the damage isn't in your main field of view and below a certain size they can pass it. This link is from the MOT but I'm sure there are similar rules for here.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm

Edited to insert link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Darragh29 wrote:

Who's to say he didnt have correct plates on for the first test and changed them???

I NCT'd my first car a few years ago and there was a big scratch down the windscreen caused by the rubber coming off the wiper....they didn't even comment on it...my car passed with flying colours. It's amazing that a scratch on your windscreen won't cause them a bother, but the size of your reg plate will

...............so now we have people complaining because they DIDN'T fail the test ????

MercMad wrote:
    ...............so now we have people complaining because they DIDN'T fail the test ????
    Where am I complaining because I didn't fail? If you read my post properly you'd get the idea, but to spell it out in simple terms for you....I said it's amazing how a scratch on your windscreen, which actually could impair your driving won't fail, but small letters on a reg plate will....I am pointing out how inconsistent the testing is.....

Where am I complaining because I didn't fail? If you read my post properly you'd get the idea, but to spell it out in simple terms for you....I said it's amazing how a scratch on your windscreen, which actually could impair your driving won't fail, but small letters on a reg plate will....I am pointing out how inconsistent the testing is.....

..........fair enough, but in your case, there was no inconsistancy, they just went by the rules.............for once ;) !

MercMad wrote:
    ..........fair enough, but in your case, there was no inconsistancy, they just went by the rules.............for once ;) !
    I never said there was an inconsistency in my case. I don't know why anyone would try and manipulate a post just so they can cause an argument...how does this help the OP?

I never said there was an inconsistency in my case. I don't know why anyone would try and manipulate a post just so they can cause an argument...how does this help the OP?

.........ARE YOU TALKING TO ME ??

Del2005 wrote:
    You're missing the point. The car with the incorrect plates isn't road legal, if the car isn't road legal it is by default a danger to the public. It doesn't matter if it is for bald tires or letters 1.5cm to small.

Have to completely disagree. My humble understanding of the phrase "presenting a danger to the public" is that there would need to be some defect with regard to a motor vehicle that could at some stage possibly cause an injury or death to a member of the public. A number plate that is too small cannot injure or kill anyone, so it does not and cannot meet the requirement that is set out in the NCT regulations that I've posted up here. Where did you get this statement from: "If the car isn't road legal it is by default a danger to the public"??? Is a car without a tax disc a danger to the public, I don't think so mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

pa daly wrote:
    On a side note, who told you the fine for having a non standard plate was that much, have you got a link?

I've never heard of it anyway, now I know if a guard wants to be a p*ick abouty it, he can issue a summons. But the fine is more like 60 euro.

€60! I wish...

www.citizensinformation.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

My nct is in less than 10 hrs.Hope i pass it i havent even put it through a pre nct test :)

If i dont pass it then its a cheap way to find out the problems :)

So i will be kind of happy both ways

Advertisement