Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is now a good time to buy?

• 26-06-2007 4:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Need a little advice.

I've been holding off on getting a next-gen console until a good selection of games were available. I was originally thinking about getting a PS3 especially for the built-in Bluray but I don't care about that anymore. The 360 seems like the better console overall.

I'm just not sure if I should wait until Halo 3 and GTA4 are released (prices should have come down bit more by then) or buy now. I'm not too familiar with the current games that are available.

What do you guys think? Is now a good time to buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I was in the same boat recently and decided to splash out on a 360 and am absolutely delighted with my purchase.
    Gears of War, Crackdown and Lost Planet are 3 of the best games that I've played in years, PGR3 is ace... there are loads of top quality games out at the moment for it, I'd definitely recommend getting one now (especially if you have an xtra vision or smyths store nearby, they have some great deals going)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If you do wait, you are bound to get a great bundle deal with either Halo 3 or GTA IV. Also when the 360 Elite is released over here the Premium prices should drop.

I think you should wait if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

There's gonna be lots of great games out before those.... Bioshock, The Darkness, Two worlds looks good also. Now is a good time to be buying a 360 definitely, i've had mine for 5 months now and have always had a roster of at least 6 good games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

See no point in waiting, there are plenty of great games out already (and The Darkness and Overlord on friday). I say go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Not ot bput a dampner on tihngs but isn't the elite supposed to be coming out with a 120 gigabyte hardrive???? but yeah the console overall is superior in terms of games so yeah get one:D :D .I have one myself and it is a good console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got one last Xmas, not even that big a gamer but got it because i wanted to get rid of my psp and my mate gave me loads of old ps2 games to trade it so i got the premium and 4 games for 150 euro or something...deadly!!

Forza 2 is quality and i love it, before that it was Tom Clancy: Las Vegas and I have Dirt too which i have not even got round to playing yet because i am afraid it will damage my driving skills in Forza...

Anyway, great console!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Go for it dude. The 360 is the runaway winner of the next-gen (for the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

you might as well jump in :D as you will get a good deal on a 360 with games plus there are alot of 360 games to be had for good prices if you look around in game , hmv and plays sale .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Not ot bput a dampner on tihngs but isn't the elite supposed to be coming out with a 120 gigabyte hardrive???? but yeah the console overall is superior in terms of games so yeah get one:D :D .I have one myself and it is a good console.

Just get a premium now and when the elite comes out you can buy a seperate 120gig hd for about 99 euro(or around that price)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks for the advice, folks. All I needed was a push :D. I went to my local xtravision last night but they were out of stock.

Is there anywhere else doing good deals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

gamestop are doing some good deals at the moment but the best is in xtravision,
    i got my xbox360 last week in xravision,great deal, baggot street xtravison still have the deal going if anyone lives near there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Good games out on friday, wait untill then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Just get a premium now and when the elite comes out you can buy a seperate 120gig hd for about 99 euro(or around that price)
    And then kick yourself for wasting €99 on a hard drive that you'd be lucky to fill in this lifetime...
    The 120gb hd is useless over here, there's nowhere near enough content to fill it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah i got one last week

the premium, pro evo, GOW, forza, dead rising, saints row, splinter cell.

well pleased with it, and havent played saints row, forza or splinter cell yet

well worth it, its class

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Okay so in the end I went to Smyths and got it there for 399.99. It was much the same deal as xtravision I think. I got two games (GOW and Forza 2) and the plug&play kit. Also got some vouchers. Good deal I thought.

Just one problem...

The xbox wouldn't turn on!! Everything was connected up but when I pressed the power switch: nothing happened, no lights, just dead. I was about to package it back up when I tried straightening the power cable and...

It worked! It seems it was just pinched a bit from having been folded up. I'm just wondering should I be concerned about this? I'm terrified that I'll be in the middle of a game and it'll go off. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

just pack it back up and take it back for a new one as it will always be on your mind if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

bring it back,wires should still work no matter how bent back they are,obviously faulty wires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

tman wrote:
    And then kick yourself for wasting €99 on a hard drive that you'd be lucky to fill in this lifetime...
    The 120gb hd is useless over here, there's nowhere near enough content to fill it

The current hard drive only has around 13gb to use after all the updates,and that doesn't leave you much after you put a few demos and some albums on it.

I had a tug around at the power cord but it seems fine now. I'm not keen on the thought of traipsing back to Smyth's with it so I'm going to give it a few days and see. It's not like it'll be getting moved around much so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. But this would be covered under the warranty if I have problems down the road, right?

Anyway really happy with my purchase, thanks for the advice everyone. :D

Just one last thing, any quick suggestions for good games to get? I've already put Rainbow Six Vegas and the latest Splinter Cell on my list, anything else I should be considering?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Crackdown,Gears Of War and Forza 2 they are must buys for your collection :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forget Gears of Bore and go for the far superior Rainbow Six: Vegas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Forget Gears of Bore and go for the far superior Rainbow Six: Vegas.
    Agreed. GoW is like that hot blonde at a party. Very pretty but absolutely no substance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Rainbow 6 gets my vote over GOW too :D
    Also Get Forza if you are into racing @ all - A top notch game.

I still really like PGR3 and Test drive too
    And Rumble roses XX for a laugh;)

Mik

Advertisement