Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't install windows updates since I did a repair?

• 26-06-2007 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭

I've spent all day looking at this problem but still haven't found any solution :(
    Basically what happens is the updates download ok but when the installation starts they fail straight away. I tried using the online version but that just gives me the generic error message:

"A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed"

I googled this and a few other things but there doesnt seem to be anything definite to fix it. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

possibly you're running a cracked version of windows which is preventing an update..what did you repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No not running a cracked version at all and I'm not sure what you mean by what did I repair?

I had been messing around with my registry and deleted some keys I shouldnt have causing me to have problems with my mouse and keyboard freezing. I figured best way to fix was to do a windows repair. After the repair everything is fine except I cant install any windows updates. I have read somewhere that there is issues with having IE7 installed prior to a repair so what I'm going now is to uninstall it and try another repair and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

it sounds like you've corrupted the registry.
    here is what you could do, although i'm not saying "you should do this"
    the registry hives are stored in %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config

system,software and security are the main ones which would affect any settings you may have changed (although, you haven't said which keys you messed with..knowing this might help)

there are backups of these hives stored in %SYSTEMROOT%\repair

if you copy the files from repair directory to config, then restart, it should fall back on older settings...meaning any software you installed since the installation won't work properly, forcing you to re-install everything..

i know, i know..not exactly desirable, but it would give you your original system back.

you would have to perform the copy under the repair console, or using ntbackup utility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Okay I seem to have solved this by following the steps on this page.

Advertisement