Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Statoil on Ushers Quay Dublin about €1.65!

Options
  • 26-06-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

/faints

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

all the cops cars fill there, happy days for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

passed by that yesterday, i thought it was 1.69 ?

I hope i never see the day when those prices are widespread across the country ... then me faints also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nuttzz wrote:
    all the cops cars fill there, happy days for him

I realy hope they are not paying that rate.

The taxpayers of Ireland demand value for their money :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

€1.65 :eek:

Crazy. Just crazy. How do they justify this and why do motorists continue to buy at this price. I've a Statoil Fuel Card so my employer pays, but I still wouldn't fill up at that money, on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

shoutman wrote:
    That place is always ridiculous, I think its a case of supply and demand, where is the next nearest petrol station to there?

At those prices I hope it's not too far :D

It seems I've entered the twilight zone......................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

That place is always ridiculous, I think its a case of supply and demand, where is the next nearest petrol station to there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

micmclo wrote:

This was discussed before and I think the Guards get the fuel at a set rate which is a lot less than the €1.69 a litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

micmclo wrote:

They're not. The cops have statoil fuel cards that give them the same rate at every statoil garage. Those of us with Benchmark fuel cards could use them there and get your petrol for about €1.15 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

shoutman wrote:
    North Strand, Kilmaingham, James Street are the nearest I can think of. The one on James Street is less than 5 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I assume that with all that fuel card contracts they can chance their arm and fleece the unsuspecting normal punter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Motorcard guys, get one. This week's price is 1.15 a litre, and you can get it from there, saving fifty cent a litre. Wow.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's probably the first station many cars coming off the ferries pass, so they probably catch a fair few unsuspecting tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

It's actually 164.9c per litre - not nearly as bad a €1.65 :D

Seriously, it's ridiculous, but then again they always were. I'd imagine their business comes from unsuspecting tourists and the like. There are hardly regulars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Seriously expensive!
    jayok wrote:
    . I'd imagine their business comes from unsuspecting tourists and the like. There are hardly regulars there.

I'd agree here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Sweet Jebus, petrol was less expensive in Norway when I was there at the weekend!

So, fuel cards, what are the pros and cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

http://motorcard.ie/
    I got that link here on boards. I really can't see any cons at all, unless you are extremely loyal to top or Campus or an independant petrol seller.
    They give you about four to five pence off the price of petrol in pretty much every statoil in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Statoil just issued statment on Today FM saying they are powerless to change the price and people should not shop there.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

that petrol station is on prime real estate right in the heart of town. they charge so high so as the place can make enough profit to justify not selling and turning it into offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I reckon the city council gets a fair bit out of them from rates.

Is there any one in the country that even comes close to them for price?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There can't be too many folks actually filling up fully there, they'd probably do a lot more business if they were the cheapest in the country as the amount of cars that pass by there every day would fill up and stop in for a sandwich/milk/bread/paper on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Ye I can't actually understand how it even makes business sense, I practically never see anyone in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm sure they car survive on the public service and fuel card users alone. It's the only station in the city centre or so the Sunday Independent said. Any users who are paying full rate are obviously just a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That benchmark card sounds good. But the nearest Statoil is over 20 miles from me. Are there any alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mike65 wrote:
    Statoil just issued statment on Today FM saying they are powerless to change the price and people should not shop there.

Mike.

I heard the first bit, but not the 2nd. Did Statoil *really* say on the radio that people should not shop there?

Statoil really should not supply petrol there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote:
    I heard the first bit, but not the 2nd. Did Statoil *really* say on the radio that people should not shop there?
    Matt Cooper read out a statement from them and he said that they could not justify the charge and people should not buy there!
    JHMEG wrote:
    Statoil really should not supply petrol there.
    There may be a contract in place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That place is in danger of becoming famous. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

shoutman wrote:

Constitution hill. Means crossing the river and backtracking a bit, but at that price definitely worth it.

I saw soemthing int he herald I think about the rip off prices there in the good old days when it was only €1.50 :rolleyes: Even Dermot Jewell (I think) said that anyone who bought petrol there deserved to get ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Its quite simple, I dont really understand all the shock and horror being expressed here. The garage are targeting customers with fuel cards or with price agreements (including Gardai) around 1.15 a litre. They then increase their price so as to keep the forecourt free for these custoimers.

Its the owners business decision, whats the problem, if you really are caught short just buy the minimum two litres and go some where else. No one is forcing you to do your weekly fill in there. Shop around people.

And that line about it being the first petrol station you hit after the ferry is sh1te. If you are stupid enough to get on a ferry with an almost empty tank going to a foreign country then you deserve to be ripped off.

People have little too be outraged about if this is the main topic of a nationalk talk radio show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Yep, and just don't go there if it's too expensive! Same as every product that's overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Funnily enough if all stations where to charge the same low price there would be an outcry about lack of price competition, now people complain when there is evidental price competition...

People who pay what they ask have only themselves to blame. Mind you, for English tourists coming from the port it probably is cheap.

Advertisement