Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History LC - Special Research Subject

Options
  • 26-06-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am going into 6th year next year, and hope to make a start on my SR topic during the summer. Im doing it on, "Richard Mulcathy And His Role In The Easter Rising In Ashbourne, Co. Meath"

However, Im having problems starting it and dont know the style of writing to approch with.... :(

I was hoping someone who has already done their topic in the past could send it on to me to give me an idea. Doesnt matter what its about, I just want a sample to read over.

Would really appricate it! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Mine is mind-numbingly boring, but i'll send it if you want.
    Basically, its just like telling a story. Expect an email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

heres how i did it anyways.

i started by finding five sources that were relevant to my topic,

after reading all these topics i created for myself a timeline of my research project.

then i started my first draft, following this timeline.

i reccomend you start your extended essay by giving a backround on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭fitzgese

the thing about the special topic is that only 50 per cent goes for the actual extended essay, which should be very factual, and just basically tell the story of his role, what he did, when did he do it, when and where he was arrested and that sort of thing. i would advise you doing your review separately and this is worth 10 marks and you should leave this to last as this should be about what went wrong and difficulties encountered doing it and what you would do differently next time and so on. you need 3 sources and make sure when you are using them you get exact details such as full title, author, publisher, date of publication's etc, and in this section you should note what was good and what was bad about the sources. keep in mind you have only a page to fill. and then you have your outline plan which basically you can write now. say what you are researching, why him, how you are going to do your research, where your are going to locate your sources and name them.
    really it is not too bad. make sure you do not leave it too late as there were certain people who shall remain nameless who had to stay up until all hours the days before it was due to be handed up. personally, i did mine last summer and i did not have to worry about deadlines. if you do it now, it will be one less thing to worry about.
    enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

My mate done a project on that topic. I'll PM you something when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I'm doing mine on Walt Disney and The Use of Propaganda.

Should be interesting, I've already got the first 2 paragraphs done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Timans wrote:
    I'm doing mine on Walt Disney and The Use of Propaganda.

Should be interesting, I've already got the first 2 paragraphs done.

Now that is something I would like to read. Sounds pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Thanks Selphie for the email, and thanks to everyone else for your advice. :)

Q: Do I count the internet as one source?

If so what other 4 sources could I use, perhaps an interview or a book. Does anyone know where I could find a book which would have information on such a small part of the 1916 rising?

I now considering doing my SRS on Frank Akien (chief of staff of the IRA) because my Art teacher is his grandaughter, and perhaps she could get me an interview with her father or something!

On the other hand I hear it is better to do your SRS on a particular event, rather than on a person and their life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

For HL you use two books and one internet, you can use more, but you have to have at least 2 books and you can't out more than one site down on the booklet.

Rising..Ilac Library and National Archives tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Q: Do I count the internet as one source?

If so what other 4 sources could I use, perhaps an interview or a book. Does anyone know where I could find a book which would have information on such a small part of the 1916 rising?

My advice would be to avoid using the net,simply beacuse they don't like it,and it has to be very well supported with background info.
    You only use 3 actual sources in your project,but read as much as you like and decide which sources you can talk about most. This summer I'd reccomend writing your essay,and do the rest if you'd like, but these are the least time consuming of the project. But DEFINITELY do your project this summer,you'll be so relieved when you've got to hand your project in at teh same time as the orals!
    And, by the way, you will def find it a little daunting at first to start writing your essay,but once you begin it gets so much easier and don't let yourself be put off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Use as many sources as you like- you can mention different ones in the evaluation and the review of the research process.

You must:

-Use one Historian source
    -Do a review on the research process with the extended essay

My advice:

Read all sources first
    Write the essay
    Then do the plan etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It'll probably be of no use to you, but I can send mine on if ya want. It was "The Role of Emile Zola in the Dreyfuss Affair". It must've been somewhat decent as it got full marks in the LC History Exam in '97.

Advertisement