Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fill me in?

• 26-06-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

This week, I started a summer job as night porter in this quiet hotel, meaning I have about 2 hours of work within a nine hour shift. Asking myself what could I do, I noticed a crap load of wrestling on Sky Sports last night! :)

I used to watch it, but stopped back in early 2004.

So, I sat down and watched the ECW (the ECW! I couldn't believe it!). I rekindled my lost love affair with this great form of entertainment, and my highlight was once again watching Chris Benoit in the ring, as the last time I saw him wrestle was at wrestlemania 20. He was my absolute favourite wrestler. Full Stop.

One thing leading to another (mainly moving house and jobs) I stopped watching wrestling. Besides, I thought it was a fitting end, watching my wrestling hero reach the top in the most glorious way.

There are numerous threads on Chris' death, so I don't want to make another one. All I will say is that I was in tears last night watching that 3 hour special.

R.I.P. Chris. :(

So instead, what I need is a good old fashion fill me in thread! :)

Not to detailed, and pick the real good highlights (the more shocking the better!). Use this thread as a platform for discuss your fondest memories of pro wrestling over the past three years (since WM 20).

But above all - somebody explain to me why Vince was blown up!? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

This isn't a bad idea given recent circumstances, it might help take our minds off the Benoit tragedy for a while.

In No Particular order since Wrestlemania XX

Trish and Lita retired from active wrestling, they had their final matches last year. Trish went over in her final match in Canada (ha ha Bret! :D) and Lita got her thong collection and her "box" sold to the audience by Cryme Tyme

Oh yeah Cryme Tyme, you missed those skits, search for them on youtube.com

ECW was resurrected on TV last year, it's a shadow of what it used to be, but once it was WWE produced, most people with half a brain knew that was gonna happen. It made it's PPV debut in 2005 with One Night Stand, which deemed a massive success. Unfortunately, December to Dismember 06 bombed.

Matt Hardy lost his missus to Edge in real life in 2004, he cried about it on his website and WWE fired him shortly afterwards. He was re-hired a few months later and WWE turned it into an angle.

Edge became a main event player as a result of the above going over John Cena at the 2006 New Years Revolution. He's been upper card ever since along with Randy Orton.

Eddie Guerrero died in 2005, WWE made storyline after storyline after it since but hey, at least midget wrestling gets a push again after Rey Mysterio proverbally blew Eddie's corpse for his push as WWE champion (and i swear to christ, i am not joking here)

Thats me listing a few, anyone else wanna chip in?
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

One of the most shocking things for someone who hasn't watched it since WM20 would be that Bradshaw, of the APA, became world champ within a few months of it. He reinvented himself as JBL, a rich coward basically, and had most fans despising him straight away. He retired last year due to a bad back and is now a commentator on Smackdown

They've been making some attempts at getting mainstream publicity in the last year, mainly due to pressure from the USA Network which broadcasts Raw. This led to Kevin Federline pinning WWE champion John Cena (non-title match), Donald Trump being involved in a WM match this year (where the wrestler he picked bet Vince McMahon's wrestler, which led to Vince's head being shaved), and the guys off Jackass being involved with Summerslam in a couple of months. The USA Network also wanted WWE to become more "soap-opera"-like, as they were around 1998, which is why they had Vince's limo blow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Remember that white rapper guy who debuted on Smackdown called John Cena? Well he has been WWE champion for the majority of the last 2 years. Most people hate him, but he has improved a lot recently.

Edge is champion on Smackdown, basically because the former champion the Undertaker, and the champion elect Mr Kennedy got injured. In fact WWE have lost a lot of their main guys to injury this year, those two and HBK, HHH and Rey Mysterio.

Chris Jericho left to become the ayatollah of Rock and Rolla for real. This didn't go to plan and he should be back in WWE soon.

Guys like the Dudleys, Christian, Kurt Angle, Rhyno, Tomko and others all left WWE for TNA, the 2nd biggest wrestling promotion in America. TNA has potential but its booked by a clown so it will go no where.

Vince blew himself up for publicity, starting a "who killed Vince" angle, but because of Benoits death, that plan has been scrapped.

DX came back last year, it was awful.

Can't really think of anything else of hand. You haven't missed much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

wwe had a fantasy league going, but they have stopped it for now. Anyway a good few of us in boards.ie created a league within the wwe fantasy, it was great fun and a good laugh. We ( in here) had 4 seasons of fantasy league ( a season would last for 10 to 14 weeks), I triple h won 2 of the four leagues. That makes me great. Fozzy and vince were the two other winners, they were kind of great too, but not as great as me. One or two others, god love them, thought they could beat fozzy, vince and my great self, but we were like the chelsea, Aresnal and man utd of the league. Now, that was a real good highlight.

Anyway wwe might start the fantasy league some day. It would be great if you were good at it, cause the others ( wooo , lost, the others) were no challenge.

Anyway, i think most people watch wrestling for a few years, stop watching for a few years, watch again, stop, watch......and so on. I am like that, so let me be the first to welcome you back to the wrestling world, and remember, greatness has just giving you a blessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

There was a tag team ( well 5 male cheer leaders ) for a year called the spirit squad, they were funny, but, thank god they are gone.

Candice michelle's towel dropped one day in a raw show and we saw all. I reckon thats why she is womens champion now.

JBL is a great commentator.

Rick Flair was busted for road rage and Edge, the rated R superstar got a camera crew and did a funny sketch of it. Priceless.

Carlitto and Shelton Benjamin looked like they were going somewhere, but wwe seem to be holding them back.

Eric Bishoff was fired from RAW and fecked into a dump truck to be taken to the dump.

Bobby Lashley is the only superstar to break Chris Masters masterlock challenge. John Cena could not break it. When wwe show clips of this challenge they don't remind people that Cena failed the masterlock challenge.

Vince blew himself up because he was going to take a break from TV for a while and he still wanted people to talk about him and be in the spotlight.

Just saw in wwe that smack down have a new superstar ---- King Leonidas
    who in god's name is he????

• Advertisement

triple h wrote:
    Just saw in wwe that smack down have a new superstar ---- King Leonidas
    who in god's name is he????

The King of Sparta. He's got a dvd coming out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Gillie wrote:

That reminds me of that really cheesy promo Mick Foley cut with the guy from GvE, a program on USA Network in 1999,

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I stopped watching around 2001/02, started getting bored with it getting too glitzy and what not. Just getting back into it lately and i'm glad to see I haven't missed a lot! Bring back the long, involved storylines, it just seems to be lots of major short pushes. John Cena.... WHO?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Proxy wrote:
    I stopped watching around 2001/02, started getting bored with it getting too glitzy and what not. Just getting back into it lately and i'm glad to see I haven't missed a lot! Bring back the long, involved storylines, it just seems to be lots of major short pushes. John Cena.... WHO?? :D

john cenas been in it since 2003,he got massively over with his rap gimmick in 2004/05 beat jbl for the title at wrestlemania 21,moved to raw and has been there since, hes made both triple h and shawn michaels tap out at consecutive wrestlemania main events,is current still the champ,and has been for 24 of the last 27 months and sells more merchandise than probably the rest of the roster combined

yeah,a short push alright:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

This week, I started a summer job as night porter in this quiet hotel, meaning I have about 2 hours of work within a nine hour shift. Asking myself what could I do, I noticed a crap load of wrestling on Sky Sports last night! :)

I used to watch it, but stopped back in early 2004.

So, I sat down and watched the ECW (the ECW! I couldn't believe it!). I rekindled my lost love affair with this great form of entertainment, and my highlight was once again watching Chris Benoit in the ring, as the last time I saw him wrestle was at wrestlemania 20. He was my absolute favourite wrestler. Full Stop.

One thing leading to another (mainly moving house and jobs) I stopped watching wrestling. Besides, I thought it was a fitting end, watching my wrestling hero reach the top in the most glorious way.

There are numerous threads on Chris' death, so I don't want to make another one. All I will say is that I was in tears last night watching that 3 hour special.

R.I.P. Chris. :(

So instead, what I need is a good old fashion fill me in thread! :)

Not to detailed, and pick the real good highlights (the more shocking the better!). Use this thread as a platform for discuss your fondest memories of pro wrestling over the past three years (since WM 20).

But above all - somebody explain to me why Vince was blown up!? :eek:
    MR.KENNEDY

krudler wrote:
    john cenas been in it since 2003,he got massively over with his rap gimmick in 2004/05 beat jbl for the title at wrestlemania 21,moved to raw and has been there since, hes made both triple h and shawn michaels tap out at consecutive wrestlemania main events,is current still the champ,and has been for 24 of the last 27 months and sells more merchandise than probably the rest of the roster combined

yeah,a short push alright:rolleyes:

Damnit these kids don't no nothing about nothing these days!

John Cena came into the WWE from OVW in June 2002 and was immediately pushed, scoring a PPV win over Chris Jericho at Vengeance that year. He was a fairly bland babyface usually found on Smackdown in a lot of six men tag matches. At Halloween that year he did a Vanilla Ice impersonation to Stephanie which Vince loved and saw plenty of dollar signs in! So he got a white rapper and a sidekick, Bling Bling Buchannan, later B2 before B Fired! Cena had turned heel by this point cutting rap-off promos against his opponents before eventually turning face and becoming the leader of the chain gang kiddiez you see today.

The Krudmeister also fails to mention that he was in fact not champion for the past 24-27 months as he had dropped it twice to Edge in 2006. I guess he fell asleep during those matches. Not that he could be blamed for that. Cena's push put a lot of people to sleep.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea i flicked on the last day to see that joke of a guy, turned it off fairly quick. Whats the deal with the taker theese days on my flicking around a few months ago i seen he was still going and back to the whole darkside angle which i loved. Whats the crack with him now?

Patricide wrote:
    Yea i flicked on the last day to see that joke of a guy, turned it off fairly quick. Whats the deal with the taker theese days on my flicking around a few months ago i seen he was still going and back to the whole darkside angle which i loved. Whats the crack with him now?

Crippletaker is out injured after less than a month of his last title reign.
    Funny thing is, he's injured yet he works the least amount of days out of all the roster!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea but hed want to if hes injured right?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I'm guessing VR meant that he was surprised that Taker was injured in the first place because he wrestled less dates then the rest of the roster. He wasn't saying that Taker is working less dates while he's injured.

I'm guessing VR meant that he was surprised that Taker was injured in the first place because he wrestled less dates then the rest of the roster. He wasn't saying that Taker is working less dates while he's injured.

Precisely my point, thank you. :)
    Taker had worked for months with nagging injuries and they all caught up with him a few weeks after Mania, now he's off the road completely. From about 2002 onwards he basically said to Vince he needed a lighter schedule, so for a while he was on TV about once or twice a month, and on PPV on the SD schedule.

When he was given the belt, his schedule increase, and to his credit he did work the dates required to defend a belt. Then got injured.

VR!

Undertaker was working the same amount of dates as everyone else while he was World Champion. Last year he was working less dates than the rest though

VR, you'd want to get your own facts straight before picking on others! Cena won the belt almost 27 months ago. He dropped to Edge for less than a month, then he dropped it to RVD before winning it back from Edge 3 months later. So that's over 23 months out of the last 27 that he's been champion for

Cena's a lot more easy to watch these days, he was much more repetitive and boring last year and before. I've got no problem with him these days anyway, but almost a year ago I stopped watching due in big part to Cena

Fozzy wrote:
    VR, you'd want to get your own facts straight before picking on others! Cena won the belt almost 27 months ago. He dropped to Edge for less than a month, then he dropped it to RVD before winning it back from Edge 3 months later. So that's over 23 months out of the last 27 that he's been champion for

My apologies, it was late and i'd only half read that, despite the fact that i had highlighted.

My bad :(
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Cool, i'm actually pretty delighted i've missed damn-all "important" stuff. Doesn't seem the same though, new faces and poor gimmicks. I think some good talent.

Any great matches or wrestlers worth watching over this time period?

• Advertisement
Advertisement