Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Comercial jeep Long test drive

Options
  • 26-06-2007 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about switching from my car to a commercial jeep. Probably a SWB Pajero. I like the land cruiser but the price is too high in my opinion. Anyway, I've test driven a few but haven't had them long enough to form a proper idea. I don't want a van but may get an estate BMW 3 Series or Audi A4. Is there anywhere that rents commercials that I could drive for a weekend or so and get a better idea about whether I want one. Is there any garages that do full day test drives? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I went from a car to a commercial jeep a few years ago, ended up getting a 01 terrano. I test drove a few and the terrano was the best for the price i wanted. I have since traded in for a passat estate as I didn't need the jeep anymore and haven't looked back. I know it may be cheaper in some ways to run a commercial jeep but don't forget it needs a D.O.E. every year so the actual cost balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Try Murphys www.vanrental.ie they rent out swb Pajeros

Cheers for both replies, I'll check out that rental place.
    I'm a bit torn about the estate vs. 4x4 commercial. I wouldn't need that much space all the time and an estate with retractable parcel tray and fold down seats might be a bit of a better option. I'm afraid I'll regret giving up the handling of the car too. I'll see if I can rent one for a week or so and see how I get on. Cheers dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

The big question is do you really need one or is it that you would like one. I found the jeep great but I was very restricted aswell as the kids couldn't travel in it, I had to use my wife's car. Also some dirty buggers at the toll bridge would charge me the full whack while some didn't. Also I did alot of mileage and comfort became an issue aswell. All these little things just add up but it was a great jeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I drive a SWB Pajero and I wouldn't recommend buying one if you don't need it. It is very comfortable and easy to drive (light clutch,steering and gearbox) but tougher to manouver with a terrible turn circle. Mine is the old model 2.8 so its faster than the 2.5 but I'd call it a bit slow, especially for overtaking.

The two MAJOR drawbacks are not having rear seats as mentioned in a previous post and the running costs. The cheap tax and insurance appealed to me. €253 road tax, €115 DOE insurance is only €1000 fully comp and I'm only 21!! But the 25mpg hurts and servicing every 6,000 miles is a b1tch!!! The worst for me was that the flywheel went after christmas and destroyed the clutch putting it off the road for 3 weeks and costing me €1600 to repair with a 2nd hand flywheel. But to be fair apart from that it has never let me down in 3 years and 25,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Am I supposed to be servicing the Landcruiser every 6,000 miles?

My turning circle is great, feels like a London Taxi (nearly). The only drawbacks are the fuel economy and not having the rear seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ballooba wrote:
    Am I supposed to be servicing the Landcruiser every 6,000 miles?
    Not every 6000 miles every 5000 miles!
    to the OP.

A landcruiser will probably give you no trouble mechanically as long as it has been maintained reasonably well and not abused too badly.
    They are more expensive for a reason and it's not because they look better or are more economical.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Not every 6000 miles every 5000 miles!
    to the OP.
    Jaysus, I didn't know that. How much will that set me back? :(

Maybe it's time I learned about engines.

I only do about 350 miles a week so that's every 14 weeks, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

What year us you landcruiser?

If you have the model from 96-03, they have the same short service intervals as my Pajero so you are in the same boat as me!!! They need the oil changed every 6000 miles to ensure long life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Genuine toyota semi-synthetic oil is about €17 a 5 litre container.
    You will need 2 to do a change as the engine takes 8 litres when you change the filter as well.
    The filter is around 9 euro I think from memory.
    I also do the diesel filter every 3rd service as well and the airfilter gets done as it needs it.
    I am making a foam filter to replace the paper one.
    Grease the Driveshaft front and back regularly there is 2 grease nipples one inside the UJ and one outside, the one inside does the telescoping part.
    The front drive shaft is hidden by a plastic plate you need to drop this, 4-M12 bolts and then you have access to the front UJ.

Jaysus, looks like someone is going to have to become proficient in mechanics then. Thanks for the info better check mileage today.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Land Cruiser service interval on the D-4D is 15,000km, IMHO the Toyota is far nicer to drive as there is far more grip, it has full time 4WD as opposed to the Mitsu running on 2WD.

To be honest I don't mind too much about the rear seats. I don't have kids and rarely have people in the back anyway. I've no problem telling peeps I can no longer give them lifts. I've decided to go for the lwb version, just gives me better cargo options. Forgot about the increase toll bridge charges, I guess I'll avoid it as much as possible as I don't use it on a regular basis anyway. Maybe I just won't update the eazypass from the golf ;) Another problem is I'm moving to an apartment in September that says you can't park commercials there, it monitored by ncps. It's private land and will be in underground carpark so I don't have to display my tax and insurance when parked there do I?

colm_mcm wrote:
    IMHO the Toyota is far nicer to drive as there is far more grip, it has full time 4WD as opposed to the Mitsu running on 2WD.
    The Mitsu has the option of 2 or 4 as I'd imagine the Toyota has too. Surely it would cost a fortune to drive it in 4wd all the time.

FX Meister wrote:
    Maybe I just won't update the eazypass from the golf ;)
    They catch on to that faster than you would think. Like one journey quick.
    FX Meister wrote:
    Another problem is I'm moving to an apartment in September that says you can't park commercials there, it monitored by ncps.
    That's a disgraceful policy of discrimination. Where is it?

FX Meister wrote:
    The Mitsu has the option of 2 or 4 as I'd imagine the Toyota has too. Surely it would cost a fortune to drive it in 4wd all the time.

It isn't possible to drive the Mitsu in 4WD as front and back wheels turn at the same speed, it won't want to turn, and when you park it tears up the ground. The Land Cruiser doesn't do this. I can average 30 mpg on a 6 speed LAnd Cruiser, which is more than I can on a 2.5 Pajero.

the small lever to the left of the gearknob on the Toyota is for the diff lock and low ratio gearbox. there is no 2WD.

colm_mcm wrote:
    It isn't possible to drive the Mitsu in 4WD as front and back wheels turn at the same speed, it won't want to turn, and when you park it tears up the ground. The Land Cruiser doesn't do this. I can average 30 mpg on a 6 speed LAnd Cruiser, which is more than I can on a 2.5 Pajero.

the small lever to the left of the gearknob on the Toyota is for the diff lock and low ratio gearbox. there is no 2WD.
    Really? Must look into this. Friend just got a Pajero last monday and he's put it in 4wd a few times when its been wet on the road just testing it out. It has 4 different options on the gear lever. I'm goint to go with the pajero over the landcruiser mainly on the price, the 03 landcruisers are still a bit more than I want to spend so will probably go for a 04/05 pajero

ballooba wrote:

That's a disgraceful policy of discrimination. Where is it?
    It's in Santry, can't remember the name of the estate, it's the one with the Crown Plaza hotel. Santry Woods perhaps? A lot of places are like this. My pops rented an apartment in town to a dude who drove a van from work and they came down on him to stop parking there. I don't know what the exact thinking is behind it, maybe thieves frequent the area more due to commercial vehicles having stuff that can be stolen in them? I'd say a lot of it is snobbery though. They also won't let me put my bike on my balcony or a storage box for my power tools.

Snobbery me thinks.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, just been looking and I've seen some 03 new model Landcruisers within my price range. Think I might take another look at my options. I think I'd prefer the landcruiser but I could get a newer Pajero for the same money. I presume most of you on here would go for the Toyota though?

It's simply a better machine. (I know I'd be seen as biassed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's simply a better machine. (I know I'd be seen as biassed)

hi colm, in relation to the land cruiser are there may sold in automatic lwb commercial gx auto? what are the mpg figures for this?

also do you know what the extra urban mpg is and combined mpg on the manual gx commercial? have driven the 6 speed its a fine bus...

how does the handling on the hilux compare to the landcruiser and also the mpg? is there still a long wait on the hilux? sr5

also im considering buying a commercial without a vat number? is it madto do so? what are the draw backs?

cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I was in the same situation as you last December - trying to decide between a pajero swb and a landcruiser swb. I tested a few of both. It would be my first 4WD.

The landcruiser was by far the superior vehicle but toyota dealers were charging a fortune for them so I looked around for one for sale in a non toyota dealer and managed to get a mid 06 5,000km one for €32,000. A good deal in my opinion as it was practically brand new. Got floor mats and a toyota tow bar fitted which were included in the price.
    A new one at the time would have only cost another €5,000 but there were a lot of extras on the one I bought which would have added another few grand.

I am familiar with pajero's from my days at the UN and my experience is that they chew up tyres for breakfast and are heavy on diesel. The landcruiser does 30mpg but is far more comfortable and composed on the road than a pajero. The turning circle is also amazing for such a big vehicle.

I just got mine serviced at the toyota dealer (every 15,000km or year which ever comes first) its first 15,000km one and all in it cost €190 - not bad given I am used to spending nearly €400 to service the BMW's.

I use mine mainly as everyday transport but this involves bringing my three dogs in the back and the odd bit of towing my classic cars on the transporter.

I don't think I would go back to a car now.

ps; Tested a hilux a while back too and its handling is terrible. The back just bucks and jumps like a wild deer - not even safe in my opinion. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

I was in the same situation as you last December - trying to decide between a pajero swb and a landcruiser swb. I tested a few of both. It would be my first 4WD.

The landcruiser was by far the superior vehicle but toyota dealers were charging a fortune for them so I looked around for one for sale in a non toyota dealer and managed to get a mid 06 5,000km one for €32,000. A good deal in my opinion as it was practically brand new. Got floor mats and a toyota tow bar fitted which were included in the price.
    A new one at the time would have only cost another €5,000 but there were a lot of extras on the one I bought which would have added another few grand.

I am familiar with pajero's from my days at the UN and my experience is that they chew up tyres for breakfast and are heavy on diesel. The landcruiser does 30mpg but is far more comfortable and composed on the road than a pajero. The turning circle is also amazing for such a big vehicle.

I just got mine serviced at the toyota dealer (every 15,000km or year which ever comes first) its first 15,000km one and all in it cost €190 - not bad given I am used to spending nearly €400 to service the BMW's.

I use mine mainly as everyday transport but this involves bringing my three dogs in the back and the odd bit of towing my classic cars on the transporter.

I don't think I would go back to a car now.

ps; Tested a hilux a while back too and its handling is terrible. The back just bucks and jumps like a wild deer - not even safe in my opinion. :eek:

whats the story in buying a commercial jeep if you dont have a vat number?
    what are the pitfalls?

EIN wrote:
    what are the pitfalls?
    Eh, you have to pay the VAT? ;)

That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My landcruiser is taxed as a private car and being a paye worker i don't have a vat number so I had to pay full whack. :rolleyes:

My landcruiser is taxed as a private car and being a paye worker i don't have a vat number so I had to pay full whack. :rolleyes:
    Not sure what the :rolleyes: is for.

I'm a PAYE worker. I paid VAT when buying my Landcruiser. I have commercial tax and insurance.

I get 30 mpg with the manual and 27mpg on the auto. the auto is 5 speed.

If you do a lease on the jeep as opposed to HP or buying with cash, then the garage can claim VAT when trading it back in. This means you would get 21% less without a VAT receipt.

• Advertisement

EIN wrote:
    what are the pitfalls?
    When selling it on a lot of potential buyers would be put off by you not being able to give them a Vat receipt.

I'm hoping to not pay Vat on mine, I plan to approach my boss and get him to buy it and refund the Vat to me. I know it will be registered to the company but I trust him on that. When I sell it on then I pay the Vat don't I? I presume that it's the Vat on the selling price? Is it possible to have him sell it to me cheaper than market value to avoid paying a high Vat rate? Are there any other drawbacks? Will it affect my insurance?

Advertisement