Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Westies traits?

Options
  • 26-06-2007 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

We got a Westie not too long ago, an old (7/8) unwanted little fella. Anyway, never having this type of dog before we didn't know what to accept as 'normal' for these dogs.
    He came into us, starthing out being very shy and jumpy when he was touched, we suspected this was because in his old home he was being bullied by the other dog. He has been with us a few months now and has perked up loads and doesn't jump so much when he is being petted. He does however, seem to not like the dark, or being alone in the dark. When I turn off the lights to go to bed, he will wake up and follow me upstairs to go into any room with a person in it.
    He also does a lot of licking. He repetitivley (sp?) licks his paws and/or the carpet/cusions/my clothes. I know he may have a skin condition, which I have been told they are prone to, as some of his fur is orange.
    He sits and stares a lot. Which is probably just him doing his doggily duties. Other than that though, he is a beautiful and friendly fellow, a delight to own and I understand now why people love them so much.

Does any one else have any Westies that act like this, or what other traits do yours have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Take him to the vet to check if he has a skin condition. But it sounds more like a behavioural problem, the licking that is. Dogs can develop obsessive behaviours like that.

Annika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think any dog - especially an old one that has changed homes will always have a bit if insecurity.

My stray collie that I found hates being brought anywhere on her own and if she is (to the vets for instance) she will have to be dragged out of the jeep obviously afraid of being abandoned again. She has mellowed now a bit but I can relate to all the licking - another insecurity trait in my opinion. :)

I am sure your dog will improve as time goes on but you must give her time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

When a dog licks their paw etc in the same place over and over, they get an adrenaline rush from it - and it gets addictive. Best keep a close eye on it, I've had dogs before who've licked and licked until they bled - and the wound never heals.

My greyhound licks the inside of her box all the time - she must like the taste! :)

Advertisement