Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with permutation betting

Options
  • 26-06-2007 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi there,

I'm using a system from the book 'Profitable football betting' by Paul Steele, involving permutation betting. The only problem is, nobody in any betting shop I go to seems to have any clue what I'm talking about. I'll try to explain.

Tonight, I went to put a bet on 3 matches:

Finn Harps v Kildare
    Shelbourne v Cobh
    Longford v Cork

I wanted to cover 4 possible combinations of results:

Combination 1: 1, 2, 2
    Combination 2: 1, X, 2
    Combination 3: 1, 2, X
    Combination 4: 1, X, X

I hope I'm explaining this ok. Basically, I win if Finn Harps win and neither Cobh nor Cork lose (i.e. an away win or draw in these 2 matches). Total odds for this work out at approx 7-1.

I filled out 4 slips, 1 for each combination, and handed them to the woman behind the counter, and said it came to €30 in total. I had weird figures like €11.63 on one combination, and she looked at me as if I had 3 heads. I said I wanted to do a perm bet with these 4 combinations, but I don't think she understood what I wanted and gave me an accumulator, which doesn't make sense. If I'm betting on 4 different combinations, only 1 of them, if any, can possibly win. So an accumulator wouldn't make sense.

Long story short, anyone I've encountered in a bookie's just seems to be a cashier with no knowledge of betting. So, what exactly is this bet called? Is there a term that I'm unfamiliar with?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Closest thing to call them would be banker trebles, and i see nothing wrong with the way you went about placing them. I know what you mean by some cashiers not having a clue (companies will remain nameless.) Some of them will see your 11.36 stake and think "oh he must be up to something" or "i havent a clue what he is doing and couldnt be arsed finding out." Unfortunately, the standard of service seems to be dropping as the hours on staff keep rising.

Next time you go to place the same bet, use a football coupon (if available) then its a case of slotting in your 1's, 2's and X's.
    Otherwise write it on a plain slip like this:

47356853a4803896031l.jpg

Sorry i mixed up the lines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Am I missing something here or are you just doing 4 separate treble bets on the outcomes of those 3 matches? it's not an accumulator or a perm bet it's just 4 separate independent bets. What you did seems fine to me - fill out 4 slips, 1 for each combination you want, put the stake you want on each slip, hand them to the cashier and Bob's your uncle. The cashier doesn't need to have a clue about what you are doing, all you want him or her to do is accept the bet.

Both you and the cashier you dealt with seem to have over-complicated the situation by talking about permutation bets and accumulators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

Thanks lads.

I actually figured it out myself in the meantime. I got my money without problems. Problem was that I didn't fully understand how the system worked, but I do now. I can also do it online, avoiding dopey cashiers like that one.
    Cheers for writing out the slip Healio.

BTW, if anyone here is serious about making money on football betting, I'd seriously recommend taking a look at that book I mentioned. It is a little bit complicated in parts (hence, me not knowing what the hell I was doing when going to the bookies!), but using the systems in that book (and eliminating the 'gut'), I've gotten 9/11 bets correct on the Eircom league so far, and have easily earned back the €15 I spent on the book.

Advertisement