Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lubrication

Options
  • 26-06-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

What products do folks here use to lubricate chains and other parts, and how often do you re-apply the lube?

Also, how does heavy rain - such as we've been having round these parts lately - impact lubrication?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I use this on my chain. Keeps the chain nice and clean. How often depends on the weather. Rain and wet roads will wash it off. With what we've been having recently, it's as often as once a week.

I use a lithium grease for greasing threads and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Interesting. I've been using Weldtite teflon-based lubricant and I think it's been performing quite poorly in the rain.
    el tonto wrote:
    I use this on my chain. Keeps the chain nice and clean. How often depends on the weather. Rain and wet roads will wash it off. With what we've been having recently, it's as often as once a week.

I use a lithium grease for greasing threads and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ya cant beat good ole WD-40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Aye Kero

Was using the Finishline Krytech myself, but picked up a large bottle of White Lightning chainwax, can't fault it but will probably go back to the Finishline when I've ran out. Been using it on my commute bike as I was happy with the results on my road bike. The stuff does look like it needs to be applied after every wet day. The commute bike is parked outdoors for the day, the road bike isn't. Used an oil lube on my last commute bike and the chain and cassette were savaged in 12 months, granted I didn't regularly clean the chain just wipe and apply lube. I guess the wax is ideal low maintenance stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

@deman - I use WD40 to clean the old sh1t off but it's not a great lube, especially for chainset mechs. I use Finish Line Wet Lube btw

Just an aside folks, but I'm wondering how many 'Sex and Sexuality' Forum users found this thread by accident...? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Aye Kero wrote:
    Used an oil lube on my last commute bike and the chain and cassette were savaged in 12 months, granted I didn't regularly clean the chain just wipe and apply lube.

Yeah, the thicker the lube the longer it lasts but the more road crap that gets stuck to the chain.

Advertisement