Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkwasgen Golf or Mini Cooper

Options
  • 26-06-2007 9:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm interested in buying a car the next few months.. either a Golf or a Mini Cooper. I tested my sisters Golf and I liked it a lot. Also tested the Mini, and I liked that a lot to :P

But im undecided. What should I go for? Anyone experience both, and preferred one over the other?

Id appreciated any advise. Thanks. :)

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Sully wrote:
    Hey,

I'm interested in buying a car the next few months.. either a Golf or a Mini Cooper. I tested my sisters Golf and I liked it a lot.
    Personally i would pick the VW Golf.
    Sully wrote:
    Also tested the Mini, and I liked that a lot to :P
    As much as i actually like this car, i think its classed more as a girls car, my personal opinion.

Its your choice, your the one going to be driving it the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Which Golf or Mini are you going for, Kevin? What's your budget?

There's nothing in your post to help us determine if it's a '77 or an '07 you're thinking of buying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

As much as i actually like this car, i think its classed more as a girls car, my personal opinion.

There was a post on this before and I think we all agreed that the Mini was a girls car! I think the new Golf looks pretty cool, I'd go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoe9

Golf without a doubt...

Had 3 new golf cars since 2000...

great car.

what engine are you thinking of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mini is leaps and bounds ahead of the golf in terms of driving dynamics, and that applies to whether it's the old cooper or new! Mk1 GTi a possible exception.
    Golfs are boring. Mini's are exciting, new mini is a tad girly alright, but the John Cooper Works one is the job. If you get a good colour you can "male-ise" it a bit maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As stated in the other thread on 'Girly cars', the perception that MINI is a girls car is only an Irish one. It doesn't exist in reality, or in any other country. I can honestly say, I sell 50:50 men to women. Did you know, in the UK, it's 63% male, and 37% female who buy MINIs, and in the States, it's 81% male, and 19% female? Bet not. But the men of Ireland shall beat their fists, grunt, and say "Sure that's a girl's car", even though it'll out handle, out perform, and hold it's value far better than the competition.

Yes, you're all probably sh*t sick of thinking, it's a MINI thread, here's Ned! Think I'm talking as a salesman? Probably. But tonight I actually bought (As in paid for) a MINI Cabrio for herself, and next month I'm buying a Cooper S (With all the JCW toys) for myself, to go along with my company MINI. They're just a kick-ass car, no matter what the sexually-insecure on here say.

Having said all that, the Golf kicks ass too. I love them. Especially as Biro said, the Mk1 GTi was just such a sorted car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Strange choice as both cars are aimed at completely different markets.

The GTi is probably as close as you'll get in the Golf range to compare to the MINI Cooper. Unless you are looking at a GTi then the choice is easy.

From a looks and driving perspective the MINI Cooper wins hands down imo. If you can afford the Cooper S then all the better.

bazz26 wrote:
    If you can afford the Cooper S then all the better.

Weird as it sounds, I had a Cooper S for the first 6 months of the year but I'm driving a Cooper Diesel now, and it's 90% as fast, but even with me driving the bejaysus out of it, I'm getting 54 to the gallon. Apparently if you drive it nicely - as if - it'll do about 65mpg. It's also 3k cheaper than the S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

what jcw toys are you getting? im also in the process of kitting out my MINI. its pricey though.. that stuff doesnt come cheap...

Oh. All of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Golf is the best.Mini is just over priced and just more classy (for some)

I have had a golf before and drove a mini.I love the golf

even the shift indicator and the auxiliary gauges? why not go for a gp?

Shift indicator is sitting on my desk here next to me. A GP? Not a chance mate. I'm building something with more optional equipment, more power, and less weight. The GP is a bit spartan for my requirements.

how much did you pay for it? ive been lookig for one but there around £250!! what tuning kit are you going to use ? gtt or jcw?

I get things a bit cheaper then the average bear ... I'll be using the JCW Tuning Kit, with the MTH re-map, supercharger pulley, and manifold to up the power.

i wish i had an S...:( being only 18 the insurance is a killler on the cooper as it is. at least i have the s look.. ive put s bumpers bonnet and exhaust and alloys on the car.. all i need is a supercharger under th bonnet...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My budget would be around the 26k mark, and I wouldnt be getting it straight away. Im looking at my options now, and would be considering it at the earliest August.

Mini Cooper 1.6 4-Cly 16V.

Oxygen Blue with black bonnet stripers, Roof & Mirror Caps in black also. 15" Rotator Spoke Alloys and a Panoramic Glass Sunroof. Using the "Cloth Cosmos Black" interior.

€26,825.00

what about a second hand S?? you could bring a really nice one in from england for that money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

jame5_b wrote:
    what about a second hand S?? you could bring a really nice one in from england for that money...

my friend got a mini cooper s from uk last year for 21k and was inc leather and looked amazing.He sold it here for 28k.good profit but waited afew months to get the right price

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I like the MINI, paricularly Cooper and Cooper S models.

I also like the Golf but only early and most recent GTI models. Forget about cooking versions - they are average enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

Before buying my GTi i thought about the CooperS and popped down to Joe Duffy's for a test drive.

While the driving dynamics were excellent I just knew I couldn't live with the car as a daily driver. The ride was very very stiff (running on 18's) and the cabin is very cramped (I'm not even that tall). The missus loved the way it looked and handled but after opening the boot she also realised there was no way she could live with it !! I do prefer having proper back seats aswell!!

Also the fact that when we speced the car we wanted the price came to about €42,000 and at first ask there was no discount (straight cash deal) .. after pushing I was offered €150 off. I laughed at him and told him I was on the way to test drive a GTi, he shrugged his shoulders and laughed .. 'so you'll be calling me in an hour with an order'.

I test drove the GTi, the spec came in at about the same price and got a cash discount of over €2500 and ordered it there any then.

About a week later I got a call from joe Duffy's asking if I was ready to place an order, I told him I ordered the Gti and was informed that 'you must know nothing about cars then'.

The two cars while both sound similar on paper are totally different cars for totally different markets.

whippet wrote:
    The ride was very very stiff (running on 18's)

I made that mistake too with a few of my MINIs. The 18's on Irish roads don't do it any favours at all ...
    whippet wrote:
    Also the fact that when we speced the car we wanted the price came to about €42,000 and at first ask there was no discount (straight cash deal) .. after pushing I was offered €150 off.

That's the norm. There's no discount on MINI I'm afraid. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a Dealer though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

In relation to image the mini is regarded as a flash car. Probably why it is looked at like a girls car. The styling is a bit girly too. The golf can be a flash car too but doesn't seem to get the same stick for it. I mean when I see a golf gti I still give the nod of approval. But with the mini I just look and think the person is vain. I mean it may as well be a 2 seater - there is literally no room in the mini, which is ironic because all I see driving them are fat ugly people.

ned78 wrote:
    That's the norm. There's no discount on MINI I'm afraid. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a Dealer though :(

But that is my gripe, obviously the dealer has a profit margin, i'm no expert but I would hazzard a guess at about 15% gross (before overheads etc). Therefore it is up to the dealer to decide if he wants to take the full 15% or drop to 10% to be more competitive.

Where you say 'There is no discounts on MINI' leads me to form the opinion of a cartel operating, whereby all mini dealers stick to the RRP and avoid all competition. They might operate this using the excuse that BMW tell us not to discount on the MINI range. To me that is irrelevant and i would imagine under inspection have a few questions to answer to the competition authority.

As regards to the 'bad' experience with a MINI dealer, it was a 'bad' experience with Joe Duffys .. the attitude of boys selling the BMWs are as bad if not worse !!

whippet wrote:
    But that is my gripe, obviously the dealer has a profit margin, i'm no expert but I would hazzard a guess at about 15% gross (before overheads etc). Therefore it is up to the dealer to decide if he wants to take the full 15% or drop to 10% to be more competitive.

Not anywhere even close. The margins you're discussing are related to other marques. I wish we had margins like that!
    whippet wrote:
    Where you say 'There is no discounts on MINI' leads me to form the opinion of a cartel operating, whereby all mini dealers stick to the RRP and avoid all competition. They might operate this using the excuse that BMW tell us not to discount on the MINI range. To me that is irrelevant and i would imagine under inspection have a few questions to answer to the competition authority.

There's no discounts on Ducati Motorbikes, or Porsches, or Milk, or Bread. It's nothing to do with 'price fixing', or a 'cartel'. The competition authority would do bugger all - retailers are entitled to sell a product for the RRP, you're not the first person to jump to conclusions and think the same thing.

dodgyme wrote:
    I mean it may as well be a 2 seater - there is literally no room in the mini

Interesting you should say that. The MINI has more rear seat space than the new Beetle, which is built on a Golf Chassis, the boot is also more practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ned78 wrote:
    Interesting you should say that. The MINI has more rear seat space than the new Beetle, which is built on a Golf Chassis, the boot is also more practical.

That means nothing, the Octavia is built on the same chassis as the golf and has very little space in the back seats, huge boot though.

ned78 wrote:
    Not anywhere even close. The margins you're discussing are related to other marques. I wish we had margins like that!

There's no discounts on Ducati Motorbikes, or Porsches, or Milk, or Bread. It's nothing to do with 'price fixing', or a 'cartel'. The competition authority would do bugger all - retailers are entitled to sell a product for the RRP, you're not the first person to jump to conclusions and think the same thing.

that actual %'s that I quoted were more or less random figures .. but what I am getting to is that the dealers have some sort of scope for selling at a price of their choosing.

A MINI dealer who has a 40sq foot showroom in dublin and a MINI dealer who has a 20sq foot showroom in Cavan have totally different overheads and therefore different margins .. if both are selling at the same price it is because of some sort of anti competitive price arrangement between the dealers which is probably organised by BMW .. and in effect anti competitive!

I am not disputing that dealers are entitled to sell at the RRP, but when you hear something like 'No discounts on MINIs' it would lead me to believe that they are all selling at an agreed RRP as there is an agreement at some level that eliminates any type of competition based on the biggest competitive factor - Price, despite the fact that every dealer has a different cost structure.

It wouldn't be the first time that car dealers would be accused of such activities and in the last few years there has been a lot of evidence from certian marques to support the accusations!!

Who sets the RRP, BMW or the dealers? or is it BMW in conjunction with the dealers?

craichoe wrote:
    That means nothing, the Octavia is built on the same chassis as the golf and has very little space in the back seats, huge boot though.

I don't get how it means nothing. Someone was complaining that the MINI wasn't practical, and you couldn't swing a cat in it. I regularly have 4 people inside mine, and was using the Beetle as an example of a direct compeditor car that has less interior space, and a less practical boot.

Besides, the MINI Clubman coming out at the end of the year will have enough space, and boot space for a family!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can't believe people are comparing a Mini Cooper to a MKV Golf GTI !
    The GTI pisses all over it in every aspect bar possibly handling and you're talking on the limits where the Mini would have the advantage.

I've covered nearly 40,000 kms in a MKV GTI and there is nothing you could do to make me want a Cooper over it.

You can actually swing a cat in a GTI, it goes faster, stops better, has a FAR nicer interior, looks better, has nicer wheels, FAR nicer seats, won't depreciate like a rock and you WON'T look like a girl driving one. :D

As for no discounts, that's rubbish. It's true that BMW don't have anything near the margins VAG dealers have but saying there's no discounts is just factually wrong.

Advertisement