Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Camus - The Outsider

Options
  • 26-06-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

The latest in my existential fiction phase- this book creeped me out big time.
    I thought it was just a matter of time before he was found innocent or saved from the death penalty in some way. It was so frustrating as to why he didn't just lie! But I suppose that was the point, he didn't really care and didn't see why he should bother

As the back of the book said he was really punished for breaking certain mores, such as not mourning the loss of his mother and for showing no regret for his crime. I found Camus' portrayal quite interesting as he also showed that Meursault was a regular person that had feelings (his affection for his girlfriend being an example), he just didn't lie about them.

I suppose truth was also a major theme,

did anyone enjoy this book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

This is one of the greatest books I have ever read. I mean, the ending is so absolutely amazing, that in itself makes it epic.

I know what you're saying about being frustrated, I felt the same way the first time I read it. I'm not going to say any more yet about the ending, cause I don't know how to do that grey block thing?

When you talk about Meursault's feelings, did you notice how they are solely influenced by his physical experiences (for example the man who visits his Mother's coffin)? I don't agree with you in that Meursault had "feelings", more reactions.
    I thought it was amazing the way Camus portrays this absurdist philosophy the principal character has, its almost creepy (like you felt yourself) the way he acts, I found it really difficult to try and empathize with him when I first read it.The situation in which he kills the man is so bizarre too.

I've been through that whole "existential fiction phase" too, I suppose you could say that I'm still in it - this kind of stuff really interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The Cure's 'killing an arab' is based on the book, and a very good book it is as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've only read The Plague by Camus so i must check this out (I love "Killing an Arab" :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Just finished this book and quite enjoyed it. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

You're looking a book along the same lines? Try Notes From An Underground by Feodor Dostoevsky. I warn you though that it is known to have had quite a negative impact on certain readers. That said, I loved it, especially the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Nephew wrote:
    Just finished this book and quite enjoyed it. Any recommendations?

Nausea by Jean Paul- Sartre is similar in it's theme and also very enjoyable. It's a little bit trickier and longer but still just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭The Everlasting

One of my favourite books, probably second only to Dostoyevskys 'Crime & Punishment'

*BUMP*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

I read Nausea when I was quite young (about 17?) and it shook me for a while.
    But I read it again with an older and wiser head and to be honest I think it's weak when compared to the Outsider.

The Outsider used to be my favourite book, I remember having a very interesting discussion a couple of years ago on imdb.com about how it deals with the same themes as "jacob's ladder" haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Don't recall it much but recall enjoying it. Isn't the idea that he's kind of authentic and not willing to be emotionally false? It's a kind of emotional honesty. He also shoots the guy cos he knows he(and maybe anyone)can do it trivially with no regret. Maybe one of the themes of the book is that he has more substance than those who pretend to have strong emotions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I liked it.
    Found it profound and kinda funny rather than creepy.
    As to why he didn't save himself - Camus said something about the protagonist being the only hero we are worthy to have (I could be misquoting utterly here because it's years since I read it) - since he wouldn't lie to save himself I guess. In the book he seemed confused by the need to lie as far as I remember. It's more like it just doesn't occur to him to do so rather than that he refuses to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I remember of these two amateur actors rehearsing a fairly mundane scene in the park the other day and hamming it up totally - as loud as they could too.
    Just thinking it would be funny if those people -or ones like them- decided to do a stage version of the outsider

Advertisement