Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing courses... is it possible???

Options
  • 26-06-2007 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

im going into 2nd year when i go back but im serously thinking of changing to a different course.... is this possible?? like will i have to pay fee's & aprox how much? any other info on this would be great coz i need help!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

I would say get onto student services and your adviser (the one you got in first year but who most people never even meet, except in situations like this, I never met mine in four years there...)

It is definitely possible, if you are going to a similar course you may be able to go into 2nd year, but may have to go back into 1st year.

As for fees I'm not too sure on that, again student services and your adviser will give you a better idea of this.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

im going into 2nd year when i go back but im serously thinking of changing to a different course.... is this possible?? like will i have to pay fee's & aprox how much? any other info on this would be great coz i need help!!!!!

Yes it is indeed possible.

Quoting directly from the Student Services webpage on internal transfers:
    Internal Transfer

A Student can apply for an internal transfer provided the following criteria are met.

1. The student has been a current student for one semester

2. The receiving College or Department offers places under the Internal transfer mechanism

3. The student has attained the CAO points for the course he/she wishes to transfer into.

If a Student does not have the required CAO points, the students CAO points must be within 20 points of the required CAO points and the students QCA must be 2.60 or greater with no deficient grades. Point 1 & 2 must also be adhered to.

So as long as the department you want to transfer too offers places through internal transfer and you meet the other criteria you should be sorted. Talk to your current adviser and see if they can help you.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/general/financial_support.shtml

Maggie,

From this website you'll find the relevant fees per course. Unfortunately you would be ineligible for grant or fees for the repeat year. If you can get into the second year of another course you would get a grant and fees. But I'm guessing if the course is similar enough to allow you into second year it wont be attractive to you for the very same reasons.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

i actually did this way back in 1998, transferred from 1st yr elec manufacturing to second year IT, and there was no hassle.. just had to have a high enough QCA, they didn't take CAO points into account..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

loadsa lads change from engineering to construction Ed......Construction is higher CAO points but its generally straightfoward enough with decent QCA's

• Advertisement
Advertisement