Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop street

Options
  • 27-06-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Do you differentiate between the streets that comprise the pedestrianised centre?
    I would personally say Shop street for the four streets leading from Williamsgate down to Jury's Inn. I'd still use Mainguard and Cross street but not William, High or Quay street.

Same thing, Eglinton turns into Francis and Cross into Lombard.

Street names 38 votes

I use each street name
    0% 0 votes
    I use Shop Street for most of them too
    57% 22 votes
    Street names? I use pubs to get my bearings
    28% 11 votes
    This thread is stoopid
    13% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i've noticed blowins like myself that have been in the city for most of their lives use all the street names,, where as the born and non-blowins use area names.. i.e. shopstreet covers williamgate street right down to quay street and o'briens bridge, eglington street goes from the town hall to the galway camera shop
    abbygate street covers newtownsmith to merchants road, the docks covers every road that goes near the docks area... the claddagh is the area west of jury's etc. etc.

this is an observation made by me from a few lads i know that have lived in the same place for a few generations..

usually naming pubs and other landmarks is a better way of directing them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Always streetnames when I know them.

Thar be signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Steve is right, the true locals never know half the street names ... though in fairness, Biko, I think most differentiate between Shop St. (including Williamsgate St.) and Quay (including High) St.

And using pubs as landmarks is an Irish thing generally, even when we're abroad.

And every year (usually during race week) there's at least one pished guy at about midnight who will shout at you "hey, mate, d'ya know where the King's Head is?"

... and I can never resist! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Noobs like me just say Shop St for the whole lot. I should make more of an effort I suppose, no excuses at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

biko wrote:
    Same thing, Eglinton turns into Francis and Cross into Lombard.

It does? Really? Thats interesting.

No I'd say Shop Street for anything between the Brown Thomas and Cross Street and I'd then say Quay Street.

Although I'm really bad at street names as a whole. I mean I know where I'm going so I don't really need to find out. I just use pubs, shops and other landmark to give people directions. In fairness if they're tourists they're unlikely to know all the street names anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

From Brown thomas down to the bottom where supermacs/bazaar are is all shop st to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And every year (usually during race week) there's at least one pished guy at about midnight who will shout at you "hey, mate, d'ya know where the King's Head is?"

... and I can never resist! :D

what answer do you give then??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

"Just around the corner" is my usual direction to people!!!

I use the individual street names, with the exception of the Uppers and Lowers, because I can never remember which is which (including Cross Street, which I've worked on for 12 years!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i voted for "always use the streetnames" but i wanted to vote for "this thread is stoopid" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i know which streets are which, but im always afraid that if i used their names i would spontaneously combust :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

kevmy wrote:
    In fairness if they're tourists they're unlikely to know all the street names anyway

Until they look at the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

snubbleste wrote:

My guess is "On his shoulders" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

snubbleste wrote:
    "Between the Queen's legs" of course!!

Jesus, that has got to be the oldest Galway joke there is! :p:D

Advertisement