Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrowind or Oblivion? Poll

• 27-06-2007 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I think Morrowind is much better having put bout 600 hours into it but bored of oblivion after like 40. the ability to click on the map for where u want to go killed it in my opinion...

my vote: morrowind

Morrowind or Oblivion? 48 votes

Morrowind
    0% 0 votes
    Oblivion
    52% 25 votes
    Equally good
    47% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'd have to agree

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't played morrowwind but if you put in 600 hours and aren't bored with it, well it must be good. I've put in a bout 200 hours and I am bored silly with it. Even the new expansion - the shivering isles - I haven't finished because I just couldn't be arsed.

morrowind is better because of a few fundamental differences.

I love the oblivion world, look and feel but morrowind wins because of lack of scaling enemies, had to walk and discover places by yourself etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Morrowind is better, due to the enemies thing. Every battle does not need to be an epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

is the oblivion world bigger? cause it didnt feel like it.. when ya click on a map to go somewhere in oblivion and dont have to worry about walking, silt strider or mages guild or divine intervention etc. it seems linear to do main quest. i remember it used to be so difficult to get to some camp in the north west, where boat nd then going across mountains was fastest way? its been years but that was cool.

in morrowind, i did so many dungeons and guild missions before finally finishing the daguth ur main quest but in oblivion, i rode past most ruins on my horse which jus takes away from the game instead of adding to it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think I enjoyed Morrowind more but if I were to go back I'd probably laugh at how shitty it is.

The level scaling is only a problem for you stupid console players :D For PC users theres a half dozen excellent mods that provide different options, from ultra hardcore random monsters to a more subtle and intelligent scaling system.

Aside from that, Cyrodil is just beautiful.
    the ability to click on the map for where u want to go killed it in my opinion...

Mod.
    Vegeta wrote:
    I love the oblivion world, look and feel but morrowind wins because of lack of scaling enemies, had to walk and discover places by yourself etc

Mod.
    Morrowind is better, due to the enemies thing. Every battle does not need to be an epic.

Mod.
    cause it didnt feel like it.. when ya click on a map to go somewhere in oblivion and dont have to worry about walking, silt strider or mages guild or divine intervention etc.

Mod.

Not only have I seen lots of mods that address all of these problems specifically, there are a million more that add all sorts of wonderful things. Right now I'm playing the most gorgeous character I have ever seen. Her face, hair, eyes, body, clothes and equipment all came from mods. I love mods.

mods ftw

Therefore:

Consoles ftl!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Of course you can mod it to do anything. When sodbebody points out a fault in any game should I just go 'mod!!'

Of course you can mod it to do anything. When sodbebody points out a fault in any game should I just go 'mod!!'

Yeah but as a console user I am boned here. So I preferred Morrowind from that view point

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you are a console user. Who listens to you? :p

Yeah, but you are a console user. Who listens to you? :p

"Once again Vegeta cant play with the big boys so runs off to weep in the corner"

Now I feel bad, or aroused, hard to tell.

When its a game with such a massive amount of easily made mods like Oblivion, a game that was designed to be tailored to suit taste with such mods, then yes, yes you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

Morrowind was so much more atmospheric, with a better storyline and much more character. I remember standing outside that wisewoman's yurt, at the edge of the Ashlands, listening to the sound of tins or something kind of rattling. A great atmosphere, in very hostile territory, and it made me realise how far from Balmora I had come. There was a greater sense of a journey.

My favourite town was that little village between Balmora and Vivec that you could only reach by foot. I didn't like travelling through the blighted areas, but it made the heart grow fonder towards the safe havens.

In my opinion, Morrowind > Daggerfall > Oblivion.

Zillah wrote:
    When its a game with such a massive amount of easily made mods like Oblivion, a game that was designed to be tailored to suit taste with such mods, then yes, yes you should.
    Nuh uh

Cadrach wrote:
    Morrowind was so much more atmospheric, with a better storyline and much more character. I remember standing outside that wisewoman's yurt, at the edge of the Ashlands, listening to the sound of tins or something kind of rattling. A great atmosphere, in very hostile territory, and it made me realise how far from Balmora I had come. There was a greater sense of a journey.

very well put

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭garrethg

Morrowind's rich lore dealt with the themes of nationalism, colonialism, imperialism, isolationism, cosmopolitanism, religious strife between competing creeds and sectarianism, traditionalism, modernity, slavery, speciesism, and the nature of godhood. Granted these dynamics weren’t always that well utilised in the storyline and side quests, but they were there and added greatly to my immersion in Vvardenfell.

In contrast Oblivion deals with the themes of... umm... well there’s dungeons and stuff and some demons who are evil because... well they just are. Its bland, bland, bland. Blander than listening to an Enya album dressed in a beige cardigan whilst eating porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JunkieW

garrethg wrote:
    Morrowind's rich lore dealt with the themes of nationalism, colonialism, imperialism, isolationism, cosmopolitanism, religious strife between competing creeds and sectarianism, traditionalism, modernity, slavery, speciesism, and the nature of godhood. Granted these dynamics weren’t always that well utilised in the storyline and side quests, but they were there and added greatly to my immersion in Vvardenfell.

In contrast Oblivion deals with the themes of... umm... well there’s dungeons and stuff and some demons who are evil because... well they just are. Its bland, bland, bland. Blander than listening to an Enya album dressed in a beige cardigan whilst eating porridge.

What he said :D

I just liked Morrowind better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Morrowind was a much better game. I still put over 300 hrs into Oblivion. I would love if Oblivion had been everything from Morrowind with Oblivion's graphics and combat.

• Advertisement

I've just started playing oblivion, having played morrowind to death
    and I love the little bits like investing in stores (not that I can yet, maybe it doesnt turn out that cool?) or actually buying your own house (though yes, I got a mod for that in morrowind)
    But though I use the click on map thing a lot, I think the original way of exploring with silt strider and walking was better
    a pain sometimes, but better

I'm also finding everything in oblivion a lot more expensive and harder to make money, whereas morrowind being rich was a lot easier... maybe I just haven't found the secret at-cost scamp in oblivion yet...

but I like all the little npc things in oblivion like people going and talking to each other randomly and being called by title rather than "outlander" all the time

bluewolf wrote:
    and I love the little bits like investing in stores (not that I can yet, maybe it doesnt turn out that cool?)

Its crap. Pure crap. Lets say they can spend a total of 1200 on any given item. If you invest 500 they can now spend 1700 on any given item.

Thats fucking it.

Zillah wrote:
    Its crap. Pure crap. Lets say they can spend a total of 1200 on any given item. If you invest 500 they can now spend 1700 on any given item.

Thats fucking it.

Oh. that's less fun than I imagined.
    Still, I like the idea of officially owning a house that isn't in the middle of nowhere...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zillah wrote:

Thats fucking it.

Yeah I thought it would be really cool but then I finally leveled up my mechantile. I was delighted, tried it and realised what a let down it was.

@Bluewolf - Level up you alchemy. This skill can literally make you a millionaire. That's how I made so much money. Every time you fond an ingredient take it and just mix them together and sell off the potions. You can even buy the ingredients from one of the shops and sell the potion you make from it for more than you paod for the two ingredients. :) It's easy to level up as well.

Yeah I thought it would be really cool but then I finally leveled up my mechantile. I was delighted, tried it and realised what a let down it was.

@Bluewolf - Level up you alchemy. This skill can literally make you a millionaire. That's how I made so much money. Every time you fond an ingredient take it and just mix them together and sell off the potions. You can even buy the ingredients from one of the shops and sell the potion you make from it for more than you paod for the two ingredients. :) It's easy to level up as well.
    I actually was big into alchemy in morrowind, my telvanni house is full of containers of ingredients at this stage
    less so in oblivion, but I might get into it once I'm properly used to the game
    atm I have about 6k, so it's a start
    soul trap + sell was how I usually made money
    although I haven't managed to find the thieves guild yet, I don't know how incompetant that makes me :D
    so stealing everything that's not nailed down isn't working yet...

To get into the thieves guild you have to be put in jail if I remember correctly.

To get into the thieves guild you have to be put in jail if I remember correctly.
    Just googled it, that's one of the ways,
    or you can find that "wanted: gray fox" poster and talk to waterfront people
    excellent!

bluewolf wrote:
    Just googled it, that's one of the ways,
    or you can find that "wanted: gray fox" poster and talk to waterfront people
    excellent!

Hmm I didn't know that. I ended up killing some woman who helped me in a fight out in the world map to get all the cool stuff she had. It turns out she was someone high up and I had to spend 10 days in jail. That sucked.

Hmm I didn't know that. I ended up killing some woman who helped me in a fight out in the world map to get all the cool stuff she had. It turns out she was someone high up and I had to spend 10 days in jail. That sucked.
    do you lose skill points like in morrowind?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    do you lose skill points like in morrowind?

Yep. It was painful to watch. I wasn't very far in and all the effort I had out into leveling up was gone. :( It got me into the dark brotherhood though. :)

Advertisement