Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezone CPU Cooler

• 27-06-2007 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Looks good but at $399 I think its a tad on the expensive side and apparently a bit on the loud side.

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=81

Good Review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/processor/438/1/

From Guru3d review o/c E6600

"We measured with an ambient temperature of 22 degrees C by the way. Since we had so much leverage we decided (as explained above) to go on maximum attack with the processor. We crammed 1.65 volts into the CPU and started rising the FSB until we could not post anymore. We achieved 3825 MHZ in merely 5 minutes."

"There you go ... at ~3.8 GHz overclocked we see an idle temperature of roughly 30 degrees C and ~47 degrees C under full load."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its way overpriced. You can get a high end watercooling setup for less then that. but keeping a cpu under 47C at them speeds is very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anti wrote:
    Its way overpriced. You can get a high end watercooling setup for less then that. but keeping a cpu under 47C at them speeds is very impressive.

Qft, and if you chose to use the high end water cooling setup to cool the cpu alone you could get much better temps. At that price I would get phase or a TEC.

Yeah lol for 400$ you could actually buy a kompressor and all the rest needed to phase and keep the temps much lower !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I agree its WAY to expensive but its the first of its kind I have seen, I reckon other companys may jump on this and will refine the design and the price will drop eventually.

I hope they do as its a good design, and looks prety damn cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I read the review and have a few points to note.

*A 50watt draw on the 12 volt line is nasty without a decent power supply.

*Its a part TEC cooler. Its says in the review that the core was at 12'c idle. Allowing a delta of around 10'c(difference between core and water temp) which is generous that puts the water in the tubing at around 0'c. 1 word.
    -Condensation
    Wheres the insulation on the tubing, the block and the surrounding area? On a hot rainy day in this country, I give your pc around 10 to 15 minutes before a drop of water blows your board or gfx.

*This may bring about good things though, I would like to see a 250-300 watt custom built TEC doing the same thing, cooling the water attached to heatsinks. Its would mean you could built a complete external unit, like a phase/chiller unit but cheaper without the gas's. You would still need to insulate it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I have a friend who builds beautiful, tidy and efficient chillers for ~€150. He houses them inside APC UPS chassis' and they are just fantastic.
    Too bad he's in another country... :(

got any examples of his work ? I'd love to see some.

Anti wrote:
    got any examples of his work ? I'd love to see some.

My buddy's name is Chris (nick: unseen)

This one he made in 4 hours. It's his own "Freeze-Pack".

This is more like a "How to make a chiller" guide. Unfortunately it's all in greek, but you can enjoy the pictures and I can explain/translate any questions you might have.

And here's a thread for all the guys' efforts on chillers/phases back in Greece.

vghkjvghjl.jpg

dsc057258si.jpg

HPIM3240.jpg

HPIM3231.jpg

dsc057403dp.jpg

hpim23625qa.jpg

phase1lq7.jpg

and the man himself :D

unseen1xf9.jpg

His famous cascade:
    hpim2519qv5.jpg

And finally some LN2 playing around, by the same gang.

Damn, thats impressive !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

i want one and chillers for 150 is a bargain:eek:

Well, €150 was the low-end unit, housed in the UPS chassis. They usually cost a bit more. He still makes them, but I am not too sure how much it would cost to send one here from Greece.
    I have been considering getting one for my hottie (kentsfield), but the only reason I haven't ordered it already, is the shipping method. When I figure this out, I will definitely get one, my little watercooling is struggling!

If you can find out how much he would charge for one to cool a opty170 (939) or a c2d. I dont want ahigh spec, more medium spec And to be fitted in the bottom of my v2000a i would be very interested.

Sure, I'll see him on Monday, going there for 2 weeks holidays. 44C yesterday... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Very cool, no pun intended :P.

Anti wrote:
    If you can find out how much he would charge for one to cool a opty170 (939) or a c2d. I dont want ahigh spec, more medium spec And to be fitted in the bottom of my v2000a i would be very interested.

I too would like to know, and quick general query has anyone seen a phase changer with coolers for an sli configuration or did i just dream that?

Yeah ive seen that. I think it has been done a few times now. Lemme see if i can find the info for you

Here is a home made SLI/CF ln2 setup in progress. No idea why the thread died though, i think the guy actually makes and sells these:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1759345

And this nutter is going for the madest cascade setup i have ever seen. You need to be registered to see half the pictures. but man its a great read. And still not finished:
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t239804.html

i'd love to get around to trying to build a chiller just to see what its like but i'd say you need someone with experience otherwise i could really mess it up, has anyone on boards ever given it a go and
    FAO:anti on a different thread you said you were going to replace your pump but with temps like the ones you have i don't know if its worth it. Would you not save the pump for a different setup?
    For example I'm getting 22degrees with a dual and single rad on core 2 duo 6600 and thats not overclocked but after six hours on orthos it hits 37 degrees and you have it overclocked and haven't even broken 30 degrees on orthos!

Yeah, the only problem is the noise out of the ddc pumps. They make more noise then my 8800gtx at full speed :( But i suppose i can put up with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Hi guys. Nice to be here :)
    Cascade?:D
    HPIM3338.jpg

@chosen
    An den breis azwto egw den erxomai :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

condenser=way to big..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Watercooler only €69 at PC Look.

awhir wrote:
    condenser=way to big..........

Andy the first stage is 18kbtu. By now it works like a harm. Around ~-70 in suction pipe with r507b.

What do you suggest? Do you have experience with big cascades?

no i dont but my family supply air con/coldrooms/fridges so i could ask my brother he would have a good idea :D

unseen wrote:
    HPIM3338.jpg

@chosen

Nice to have you here, Welcome!

Ps how much is shipping from Greece to ireland :p

unseen wrote:
    HPIM3338.jpg

@chosen

its so beautiful it brings a smile to my face:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That $399 price is off. $150 more like on product search thingies.

Unseen's thing is very impressive I have to say. Nice job.
    Chosen wrote:
    my little watercooling is struggling!

Bagsy! You owe me a pint. We'll call it quitsies. ;)

Anti wrote:
    Nice to have you here, Welcome!

Ps how much is shipping from Greece to ireland :p

Maybe in a few months i will be close to you :rolleyes:

Hey buddy, welcome!

The Swede is here and his Vapo is on its way. Do you think we could mod it at all, to fit my quad needs?

Lads, unseen will be moving in Ireland with his wife, but needless to say the first unit he makes, will be mine :D
    Khannie wrote:
    Bagsy! You owe me a pint. We'll call it quitsies. ;)
    Hey sunshine! Why do I owe you a pint? Not that I mind buying loads for you (you are more entertaining when you're drunk :p ) but I didn't get your hint!

• Advertisement

wow that would be cool could really open up the irish market and make it more "extream"

hmm i say overclocking Ireland team ?

Advertisement