Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

SLAYER, last night

• 27-06-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

went to see them....pretty fcuking good i must say

anybody else there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone at the gig? I thought the mood was soured by idiots up the front throwing stuff at the stage, certainly Slayer seemed to be going thru the motions after this. Gig was saved by Dead Skin Mask , Post Mortem, Seasons, South, Raining Blood and Angel of death to finish. Sound was a bit crap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

Absolutely SUCKS that I wasn't there.. I could hear it though =D How were Mastodon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

My Brother had tickets, but couldn't go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

*tOpLaSs wrote:
    Absolutely SUCKS that I wasn't there.. I could hear it though =D How were Mastodon?

I hear you. I was washing herself's new car, and listening to Slayer from about 500 metres away. About half way through, I went upstairs, grabbed my 7 string, and played along for 5 minutes until I got a slap in the head, and went back to washing the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

ya pretty good alright, era sound wasn't that bad, we were 'sitting' behind the mixing desk... i know, i know but i was with my good wife so no mosh pit:(
    a lot of empties thrown up on stage, at one point Tom Araya made some comment about why cork hasn't so many bands over, it because we throw so much **** up on stage...bit dramatic i thought...well it is slayer we went to see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

^Yeah a little dramatic!
    What did they play?
    And what did Mastodon play? I'm a Mastodon fan too..
    WHY didn't I go.. sucks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

major sound problems reported due to overloading a generator. slayer being true to form took the piss by being 4hours late for soundcheck and none of the other bands got one!I find that behaviour shoddy from a band who has been around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was at it. I agree - sound was terrible, and it took me a while to figure out what songs Mastodon were playing. The only ones I noticed straight away were Megaladon and Blood And Thunder, because the intros are quite distinct. A few ones I didnt recognise (i.e. the opener) because I still haven't bought the new album. Only moshed for Blood And Thunder tbh, because it was the last one.

Slayer were good, but there was a very strange mood about the place. I was surprised at the amount of gaps between songs. I decided to stand back and watch for them, but when they kicked into War Ensemble 2nd, I charged straight into the crowd to find a moshpit (there were loads). Overall, even though the mood was a bit 'off', they played every favourite of mine: War Ensemble, Raining Blood, Angel Of Death, Silent Scream (very few people moshed for this. i was disappointed), South Of Heaven, Dead Skin, Seasons, Postmortem.

I was drenched in sweat (most of it wasn't mine) and the steam rising from the pit at the end would put Old Faithful to shame. And I noticed there was a clump of someones hair stuck between my fingers on my left hand, which was weird (not mine - im bald). And I almost got Jeff's pick. It landed on the shoulder of a girl in front of me, but her boyfriend wrestled it out of my hand.

Probably not the best gig ever, but I enjoyed the hell outta myself :D

edit -> I loved the security here. There was a degree of freedom that I hadn't experienced from any other venue. We were allowed to bring beer into any area of the place, and security stood beside the moshpits and did nothing but watch and make sure nobody got killed. The worst they did was drag down crowdsurfers, which is pretty much expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

It was the 8th time ive seen em live, I was surprised that they played 4 songs off new album, usually they play 2 or three at the very most,

Sound was poor alright especially the drums with ridiculously loud toms. It was better than Mastadons though,

Tom Araya should be used to gettin **** thrown at him, hes been hit with a chair before. At the second SFX gig in 2000 he was hit by a boot and didnt talk tothe crowd for the rest of the night.

Your always gonna hear the classics at a Slayer gig and they never get old For me it was good to hear the likes of Captor of Sin which isnt a regular,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pity I missed it, some songs there I would have liked to hear live. When i saw them I didn't know their new album so it wasn't as good as it should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Missed Carnun Rising which i was well annoyed about to say the least.
    Was looking forward to seeing Mastodon, but found them pretty boring, plus the whole sound being crap thing.
    Slayer were good enough, happy they played post mortem :D Other then that i think it was the crowd that made the gig good rather then the bands; Slayer were good, but nothing special, the crowd were a laugh though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

did they open with The Darkness Of Christ and Disciple? I love that opening, it is ****ing brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Love that openin myself its a great build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

L&#233 wrote: »
    Missed Carnun Rising which i was well annoyed about to say the least.
    Was looking forward to seeing Mastodon, but found them pretty boring, plus the whole sound being crap thing.
    Slayer were good enough, happy they played post mortem :D Other then that i think it was the crowd that made the gig good rather then the bands; Slayer were good, but nothing special, the crowd were a laugh though. :)

Carnun Rising got the worst sound of the night. I don't know any of their songs but the guitars got completely lost in the mix.

I've thrown up a few dodgy vids from my phone here:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=tankian555

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Last time I seen them was when they played Dublin two years ago, and it was by far the best gig i have ever been to. Raging i couldnt get down to see them.

Fairly weird that they played so much new stuff though??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would have loved to have gone to it :(
    And I almost got Jeff's pick. It landed on the shoulder of a girl in front of me, but her boyfriend wrestled it out of my hand.
    I got Kerry king's pick when I saw them years ago in the Top Hat (with Nuclear Assault supporting). I must dig it out and see what its worth on ebay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NutterPutter

Saw them at Donington this year - and they looked like they couldn't be arsed to be there. I know it's hard to play to 70,000 when not all are fans, and they weren't exactly high on the bill, but they looked old and tired!

Wouldn't waste the money to see them - just going through the motions at this stage. Sad to see...

Advertisement