Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: Formalising the ban process

Options
  • 27-06-2007 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, prompted from this thread, I propose a small overhaul of the forum-ban system to make life easier for mods and users alike. I've got both my business analyst and programmer hats on now, but I'll try not get boring or technical.

What I see as the main problems, purely in the context of bans from specific forums:

1. Keeping track of who was banned from where, why, for how long and by whom. This applies both to users finding out what the story is, and to Co-mods, Cmods and Smods finding out what the story it.

2. Giving reasons for banning people. "Why was I banned?" is a familiar cry.

3. Notifying users of forum bans.

I propose a more defined process that must be followed in order to ban users. At the moment, the mod enters the modutils, enters the name of the user to be banned, and clicks OK. They are then prompted to PM them, but they can just close the window.

My process would just alter modutils slightly. The mod enters the user (or users) to be banned, and is then prompted with an input box (not a textarea) for a reason, and another input box for the duration. Neither box can be empty.

The mod clicks OK, and the user gets banned as normal.

The user then gets an automated PM;
    <username>,

You have been banned from <forum_name> by <mod_name_with_pm_link> for the following reason:
    <reason>

The duration of this ban is: <duration>

It is your responsibility to PM the above moderator when your ban has expired, and request that the ban be lifted.

Regards

To aid in the accountability process, an additional table is added to the database. This table contains the user who was banned, the mod who banned them, the date of the ban, the duration (entered above), the reason (entered above), and an identifier that links it to the access mask in question. I'm not privy to the structure of the vB database, so I'm not sure how bans are registered.
    Once the ban is lifted, the details are deleted from the above table.

Users can access this table (via a page, obviously) to view their own bans.
    Moderators can access this table to see either all bans that they've put in place, or all bans for a specific forum.

Cmods and Smods can see all bans for forums which they have control over (Smods obviously can see bans from all forums and for all users).

As part of said page, there'll also be some text as regards what to do about bans, what to do in the event of a grievance, etc etc.

Comments?

I can do this. I can't say I have tonnes of time to do it, but I can definitely write it, my offer is on the table. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That sounds like a really good and fair process.

I'd say that in the automated PM a small note be added that abusive PM's to the mod in question may result in a ban extention but that reasonable PM's will be entertained.

That might stop some of the stupidity that goes on when people are banned in terms of PM wars and feedback threads.

Fair play to you Séamus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

vBulletin® Version 3.6.7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Looks good.

The automated nature of the PM will also possibly discourage abusive PMs being sent back to the moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Support++

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

This sounds great, fair play Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Seamus

You have been banned from Feedback by God for the following reason:
    Yer MA!

The duration of this ban is: till I rot in hell

It is your responsibility to PM the above moderator when your ban has expired, and request that the ban be lifted.

Regards

We all know this is going to be how it goes down. Good idea regardless.

Maybe some bullet points at the bottom,

ie;
    *do not re-register to get around the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 65,427 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm all for a more formalised banning procedure
    seamus wrote:
    an additional table is added to the database. This table contains the user who was banned, the mod who banned them, the date of the ban, the duration (entered above), the reason (entered above)

Good idea. Plus a link to the offending post? All mods should have access to that table. Personally, I prefer to warn a user rather than banning them depending on the circumstances, but if I can see they've misbehaved elsewhere on boards.ie, it would help making a decision :)
    seamus wrote:
    Once the ban is lifted, the details are deleted from the above table

Or kept on the table for a certain duration, perhaps a year? A bit like penalty points on a driving license :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

krazy_8s wrote:
    We all know this is going to be how it goes down. Good idea regardless.
    This is the purpose of the table - accountability.

If a mod decides that they're going to ban on a whim, and for stupid reasons, the admins, Smods, and their Co-mods will be able to see them acting the prick.

With that in mind, perhaps we should retain the ban details for a few months (to stop a mod deleting the ban as soon as they realise they've been reported).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Too long, didn't read...

So, basically, mods should wear ties?

I can totally see myself wearing this suit:

raffinati_swing2.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nice idea. I'd suggest leaving the table entries there for a while; a ban history could be a very useful thing to have when assessing how big a muppet someone has been.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think it's a great idea if it's workable.

A CMod, SMod or Admin could review relative bannings as they wanted, perhaps on a regular basis deciding if it was fair or acquiring more information on the reason for the ban. Maybe this information is already sought from the banlists :confused:

A lot of users banned (for one reason or another) don't want to start a thread in feedback if they're not happy with a mod's response.

This would mean that bannings don't go unnoticed.

A link to the post or thread would be a must IMO.

Nice wan seamus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

seamus wrote:
    With that in mind, perhaps we should retain the ban details for a few months (to stop a mod deleting the ban as soon as they realise they've been reported).

Similar set up to reported posts maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I think the ban history should be there forever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

hmm i was expecting something else, well it will stop some of the why was i banned posts but would it not be better to formalise the rules behind banning, meaning some mods would be accused more often than others about a ban for no reason, different mods have different standers but i thought you where suggesting a boards wide set of banning rules for mods, to stop some of the accused power hungry mods who will ban or lock a topic even if its not against the forum rules, i fell victim to it once about 2 year ago

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I can totally see myself wearing this suit

I just can't picture it meself.
    I won't be wearing a tie either, hate anything near my neck, feels like I'm choking.

seamus, won't that require a lot of work from an Admin?

I already send PM's to everyone I ban.
    Except if you've got 5 posts or under, I couldn't be arsed PMing someone who acts the maggot 10 seconds after getting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

Mods notify subscribers of bannings (perk).

Feedback restricted to subscribers to eliminate "WAIB?" threads.

Ban list as public forum

Non-subscribers who find themselves banned check ban list and PM Mod directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Beruthiel wrote:
    I already send PM's to everyone I ban.
    Except if you've got 5 posts or under, I couldn't be arsed PMing someone who acts the maggot 10 seconds after getting here.
    Well If its too much work for you maybe its time you hung up your Mod boots then Bru. Lets face it you're no spring chicken anymore.

Pighead hasn't read Seamus' suggestion but as its from Seamus there is no doubt that its a brilliant and very workable suggestion. If you're a mod and your name is not Seamus, look away now.
    Seamus you're the best Mod on boards by a country mile. You're Baileys Irish Cream, the rest are flat soda stream.
    Support ++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Beruthiel wrote:
    I just can't picture it meself.

Well obviously I won't look like that clean shaven guy in the pic. I'll probably have to buy a cane aswell, and wax my mustache, curling it up. Maybe some overly ornate pendant too. Yes, that'll be awesome. :D

User45701 wrote:
    hmm i was expecting something else, well it will stop some of the why was i banned posts but would it not be better to formalise the rules behind banning, meaning some mods would be accused more often than others about a ban for no reason, different mods have different standers but i thought you where suggesting a boards wide set of banning rules for mods, to stop some of the accused power hungry mods who will ban or lock a topic even if its not against the forum rules, i fell victim to it once about 2 year ago
    Well, while it would be nice to have rules that say, "You may only ban if X", in practice it's not workable if mods don't have discretion and can't choose to ban for something that's not specifically against the rules.
    In fact, this is key. Time and time again, we have seen here that if a hard rule is made, someone will attempt to fight their ban on a technicality. If the rules are flexible and general, then you can't really argue points of technicality. This is not a country with a justice system. It's a club with general rules of conduct.
    Besides that, many forums have completely opposing rules. Posting about soccer on AH will earn you a ban for example, whereas you're expected to post about soccer on the Soccer forum. :)

What I'm attempting to do is to halfway redress the fairness of the system. If mods are asked to justify their ban, then they may either reconsider it, or the user may get a better idea of why they've been banned. As part of this, we could issue guidelines to mods, e.g. "Acting the muppet" is not a valid reason for a ban, whereas "Trolling others users and disrupting discussions with offtopic crap" is.
    Beruthial wrote:
    seamus, won't that require a lot of work from an Admin?
    That depends on the Admins. :)
    If one of them wanted to develop it, then yes it would be a lot of work for them. If on the other hand, they left it to one or a group of us to develop, then it's little or no work to an Admin. The problem with giving it to us to develop is that I (for example), would need access to, or a copy of the database, and access to, or a copy of the vBulletin software.

There could be huge implications there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

seamus wrote:
    I like the idea of a checkable Ban history.
    Support +++

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

My ban script can be modified for this. It shouldn't be a massive job, although I'm not fully aware of what is involved in sending a PM (though I don't think tha'ts a big job). I just cringe at changing the vbulletin database.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ecksor wrote:
    I just cringe at changing the vbulletin database.

Just please don't break anything in the process!

Pipe down Piggie and get back to AH.

ecksor wrote:
    I just cringe at changing the vbulletin database.
    Yes indeedy. Without knowing the specifics of the DB, I'm kind of hoping that we could just add a new table without modifying any of the vB tables. Theoretically then this shouldn't be affected by vB upgrades, so we don't have to add it to the "Pile of things we need to add back into the software after an upgrade".

That is of course assuming that vB doesn't drop or truncate the database when upgrading. I would be surprised. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

seamus wrote:
    "Acting the muppet" is not a valid reason for a ban...
    What? What? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I particularly like being able to review why somebody was banned, who banned them and for how long. I'm voting seagull.

<edit>
    It would be nice if the pm explained that the ban can be queried on Helpdesk where only Admins, SMods and the banned user can discuss it, or on Feedback where its open to public discussion. I *generally* include that in the pm myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

seamus wrote:
    Yes indeedy. Without knowing the specifics of the DB, I'm kind of hoping that we could just add a new table without modifying any of the vB tables. Theoretically then this shouldn't be affected by vB upgrades, so we don't have to add it to the "Pile of things we need to add back into the software after an upgrade".

That is of course assuming that vB doesn't drop or truncate the database when upgrading. I would be surprised. :)

Don't worry, should anything go wrong the admins can replace the mainpage with the following message,

Seamus broke boards.ie

Please send all complaints to "joe.schmo@whatever.com"

Obviously it would be your real email address. Everybody agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's like you entered my head, extracted all 3 brain cells, and posted them on boards. Well done Seamus, a great idea, and exactly what I've been trying to promote for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Evil Phil wrote:
    It would be nice if the pm explained that the ban can be queried on Helpdesk where only Admins, SMods and the banned user can discuss it
    Not so sure on that one myself, as it discounts the input of the mod from the "appeal" without the direct intravention of one of the other "postable" parties acting as a proxy. As a mod, I would prefer these discussions to be held either over PM, or if they wanted to have a public discussion in Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

seamus wrote:
    I propose a more defined process that must be followed in order to ban users. At the moment, the mod enters the modutils, enters the name of the user to be banned, and clicks OK. They are then prompted to PM them, but they can just close the window.

My process would just alter modutils slightly. The mod enters the user (or users) to be banned, and is then prompted with an input box (not a textarea) for a reason, and another input box for the duration. Neither box can be empty.

I have serious problems with the parts in bold. If I am forced to write text in a box when I ban people then you can bet your arse it's going to be along the lines of "I like cake" or "Stuff your stupid text box up your arse".

Trying to formalize a banning process for the wide and varied fora boards hosts of is a dangerous thing to try. Trying to make all mods behave in the same way is not a good idea at all. I am completely against this.

No mercy for the banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

User45701 wrote:

Not workable simply because we don't run a common set of rules. AH for instance is far less strict than Politics if you want an obvious example. Part of the charm/curse of boards is it's variety of forums and them catering to slightly different audiences. The rules, naturally, have to be somewhat mutable in order to achieve this.

Though a debate could be had on just how "independent" individual forums should be, which might coincide with what you are talking about. Personally I think of each forum as a relatively independent entity with it's own community etc. Boards as a site is a bit like a "meta community" or something.

Advertisement